Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

markush

Changing holder / length of blade of 1x skate

Have been using the APX2 in 7,5EE which was overall a good fit but decided to go 7,5D in the new 1X (using very thin socks).

Fit wise everything is fine but the blade length on the 7,5D is just 263mm vs 272 on the 7,5EE

So when getting on the ice I immediately realized I lack of performance and stride length. So I wonder if I should change the holder/blade to a 272?

What advantages or disadvantages would result from this change?

I also why CCM is using also 272mm blades on their 7,5D and Bauer isn't.

I don't think you'll notice much of a difference after a few more ice times. It probably has more to do with the amount of steel you have now on your new skates. If you were skating on the stock steel (9' radius LS Fusion) to the current 10' radius LS4 they may feel a bit foreign to you.

As for CCM vs Bauer holder sizing I find their skate sizing is not consistent. I wear a 7.5D in Bauer but I had to go down a full size for the RBZ and half a size for the Ribcor/Tacks. The 7.5D CCM fit almost like a 8.0D and in Bauer's sizing, that would warrant a 272mm holder.

Well on the APX2 272mm I was using a LS3 65/35 profile setting with 10,5 front and 9,5 back radius.
The 1x blade is 263 and just the default setting on the LS4 ... so I think 10 radius.

Will try a few more skates - but I guess the 9mm missing in steel length quite heavily contribute to a lack of performance of my stride.