Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Amazinmets73

learning hockey at an advanced age

I assume you're the guy in red, yes?

Deeper knee bend, get those feet back under you.

Search on YouTube for "howtohockey" they have some really good skating mechanics videos.

x2 to the howtohockey videos.

Watch Jeremy's video on how to stop for beginners:

Bend your knees a lot more. Knees over toes, shoulders over knees.

If you think you're bending your knees a lot, bend them even more.

If your back gets sore, you're bending your back too much...bend your knees more-and keep your head up.

If your hips/butt are sore, you're doing it right engaging those new muscles.

Glad you're working on ice time at public skate. It's the #1 hockey skill.

Welcome to the addiction!

• Like 1

Your skating stride looks like you are trying to run. Work on proper stance, shoulders over knees, knees over toes and push closer to a 45 degree angle. Have someone at the rink show you what a C cut is and do a C cut with one leg for the full length of the ice and then switch to the other leg. A running stride won't get you any speed or power and will waste a lot of energy. I would also suggest talking to a figure skating coach to see about some one on one lessons. They will teach you the best skating stride and edge work. I know friends like to help but the only way I would have them teach you is if they are extremely good skaters and know how to teach. At your stage it will be a lot easier to learn how to skate right now then learning how to skate incorrectly and fix the problems later.

• Like 1

Huge improvement in just a week. Keep it up!!

Your knees are bent a lot more, and you are finding that the sideways push gives you a lot more forward momentum than "running" on the ice.

(You still need to learn how to stop. haha)

1. Do you ski? Try doing the snowplow stop with two feet.
  2. Then try doing the same snowplow stop with only one foot (while you glide forward with the other foot)
  3. Then try doing that same stop with that forward foot and throw the back foot sideways as well.

Jeremy's video above has excellent advice about how your edges work and how to angle them when you stop.

(It takes guts to post videos of your new skating abilities. Good for you. If you want to keep posting videos, I --and I'm sure others-- will be happy to offer observations)

Edited by MThockeydad

Piling on here...you should be proud of your accomplishments so far. Just keep skating and getting a feel for your edges and try not to do too much at once.

• Like 1

Working on stopping. Any suggestions?

probably the same with anyone here, bend your knees. don't be afraid of fall. wearing a knee pads might give you more confidence. again, look for how to skating video, and compare it with your posture. and for stopping, you might want to try shallower sharpening if its too grippy.

• Like 1

Yes! You're starting to feel it, aren't you?!

I agree with jazz4all, knees bent, try knee pads.

Your balace needs to be somewhat of a "squat" position. Drive a downward force from your butt down through the balls of your feet.

Try a quieter upper body. When you throw your shoulder around, you are turning.

If you're turning, your weight is probably on the center of your outside blade. Push with the ball of your foot and you should turn less.

Try skating a shorter distance between stops:

Goal line to blue line, stop.

Blue line to blue line, stop.

Blue line to goal line, stop.

Use more repetitions.

At the end there you are starting to get close, push the right heel outwards a little bit more as the blade slides across the ice and you are nearly at an inside edge stop.

Stop skating the length of the rink to practice a stop, you can practice stopping over 10 feet. You tube has lots of videos on how to stop, I won't cover it because you can get the basics from there.

What I would recommend you do is practice, practice, practice one foot skating. Inside edges, outside edges, slalom work. Frontwards first then add backward skating as you get better. Learn to balance over the top of your skates, knees bent. You have to teach your foot and leg muscles how to do this, it doesn't come naturally.

Shin pads or knee guards really do help as you are learning, as well as elbow pads. Falling is part of learning and getting better.

Again, youtube is your friend. Search for things like "ice hockey edge control drills" or "ice hockey stops". The Howtohockey stuff by Jeremy is quite good and I really enjoy the itrain hockey videos,

- for balance control

- edge control, the bubble c cuts are something you need to start learning now

- for backward edges (the first drill is semi advanced)

- covers forwards skating, balance and stopping (I really like these series of videos they are doing, long but worth every minute of your time)

- for intensive edge control and good explanations (again, I really like these "train the trainers" vids)

and for the slalom work, as you start just focus on getting your skates to change direction (turn left then right then left etc) with little weaves as you move down the ice.

Edited by Vet88

you might want to try shallower sharpening if its too grippy.

Agreed. I would ask for a 5/8" and maybe even go to a 3/4" radius of hollow on your next skate sharpening. It will be easier to "shave the ice" with the shallower hollow and make learning to stop easier. Since you are new to skating, I don't expect you to have to adjust to the shallow hollow like someone who has been skating on deep hollows their entire lives.

I am a bit biased though. I much prefer shallow hollows and find no advantage whatsoever in deep hollows. I think it might help you learn to feel your edges better also. Take my opinion for what is it worth though.

I also agree with the suggestion to use pads while skating. You are going to fall. No way to avoid it. You will be more comfortable trying new things knowing you have a bit of protection when you fall.

Great progress!! Always love to see the game grow and new players start up!

Like everyone else just get those knees bent with a neutral spine, similar to how you would squat in a gym. All your power is going to come from your quads, hammies, and core. Always keep your core tight and engaged, it will help you keep your balance.

Pads are a great idea as you'll become more fearless when out there, plus you'll need to get used to skating and moving with your gear on its vastly different.

Start with the ski stop or 'pizza slice' motion for stopping, then slowly work on turning and using only one foot to stop. I find it easier if you're a left handed player to stop on you left, and vice versa for righties.

Also use your arms. Swing them much like you would when running. It will help with balance, power, and speed.

Carefull with arm swing though. It has to move forwards and backwards in a straight line. If you start swinging them at angles it throws your balance off.

• Like 1

Haven't had the chance to take any videos, but skating has been going well. Also, I found a coach. 21 y/o kid who played D3 at a local college. We start lessons next week

Edited by Amazinmets73
  • Like 1

Nice to see you improving. As I'm sure your coach says, stick on the ground, both hands on the stick and stick pointing in the direction you want to go. When you hold the stick in the air you can skate similar to how you do without a stick, when you put the stick on the ground in front of you with both hands on the stick it changes your skating stance hence more learning all over again. As you have a vid, vid yourself practising this then watch both, you will see what I mean. Also keep the vids and record yourself every month or 2 over the year then go back and watch them, it gives you a perspective as to how much you improve during the year as it is really hard to self analyse.

I'm in the same predicament. I'm 18 and played roller all the time when I was younger so skating on ice or roller was never that difficult for me. The only problem is that I can't stop, I'm basically the kid out of the second Mighty Ducks movie. I've been playing in a beer league for 2 seasons now but we don't get practice ice time and we only get a 3 minute warmup for games so you can't really do much more than skate and get a couple of shots on the goal. The rink that I play at is about 30 minutes away from my house but I'm also a college student so I don't get back to my house until the night before a game. The rink is also an extremely busy one so to find an open ice time to fit with my schedule is extremely difficult. My team did find out that the rink does give discounts on practice time for the beer leaguers so we will have a practice; we are only guaranteed one practice though just because of how busy the rink is. I can stop on inline skates but can't seem to get the hockey stop down on ice. The practice will end up being between 1-1 1/2 hrs and one teammate is having a friend come that has played his whole life to run us through drills. Should I expect to be able to learn this within that time period with his help or should I expect to have to work on it in some open skates if I can manage to attend them? I assume since I've got the general idea from inline I might only have to adjust the angle of my skates but that could prove to be difficult because of muscle memory.

• Like 1