Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBondo

Bauer Experience store in Burlington, MA

If successful I would expect that they'd follow suit with Bauer Lacrosse and Bauer Baseball/Softball. Unless they're going to underprice what they have as their MAP pricing now the question is how far will folks be willing to drive to get just a 'Bauer' experience. Not every hockey player buying equipment is head to toe in just one manufacturer. Just look at the 'Your current hockey equipment' for confirmation.

If successful I would expect that they'd follow suit with Bauer Lacrosse and Bauer Baseball/Softball. Unless they're going to underprice what they have as their MAP pricing now the question is how far will folks be willing to drive to get just a 'Bauer' experience. Not every hockey player buying equipment is head to toe in just one manufacturer. Just look at the 'Your current hockey equipment' for confirmation.

While I agree that not every player is head to toe in one manufacturer, I still notice there are a LOT of people who are still blinded by the Bauer name, and only want Bauer and won't take any advice or suggestions otherwise.

This has been in development for several years, and dealers have known about it for a couple years as well. Bauer has been transparent with this direction with concept stores and other POP items for dealers to look at.

1. The smaller local shops just got screwed. Why even bring in Bauer gear to the depth they did before when the kid is going to the Bauer shop?

2. The big box guys in those 2 locations can't be too happy either. They have more skin in the game with inventory $$$ than the LHS. Pure in Massachusetts can't be happy. Minneapolis is saturated.

3. As one door closes, another door opens. Great opportunity for CCM to get back more product at the LHS.

4.USA Hockey registration numbers have flat lined for the last few years. They are just signing up every old timer that plays mens league, not growing the game with new mites, squirts, and peewees.

the real question is why Boston?

In my humble opinion, I would've chosen Toronto, Montreal & or Vancouver, a canadian market first. all toronto maple leafs fans knows that toronto is the center of the hockey universe. LOL

Or better yet, they could've done a mobile exp set up & tour all the major cities in North America, imagine a high tech hockey shop off the back of a 18 wheeler container, similar to what Oakley had done in the past.

4.USA Hockey registration numbers have flat lined for the last few years. They are just signing up every old timer that plays mens league, not growing the game with new mites, squirts, and peewees.

My parents sacrificed a lot so I could play hockey because it was expensive. That in the early days of composite-everything taking over the equipment market. It just seems like it's twice as expensive now, which is a shame.

Why Boston? Bauer's USA headquarters is just up the road in New Hampshire.

The mobile tour experience? Bauer did that for years with a traveling trailer before they went to rinks across Canada and US with dedicated Bauer day events at rinks to launch products for kids to try at the rinks. This is the evolution of those earlier stages.

Think Apple. Bauer wants to think they are Apple of hockey.

Why Boston? Bauer's USA headquarters is just up the road in New Hampshire.

The mobile tour experience? Bauer did that for years with a traveling trailer before they went to rinks across Canada and US with dedicated Bauer day events at rinks to launch products for kids to try at the rinks. This is the evolution of those earlier stages.

Think Apple. Bauer wants to think they are Apple of hockey.

Does this mean they are going to make their products twice as expensive as everyone else, and hire Justin Long for their commercials? because dude cant grow a playoff beard. Each stick comes in shiny white, black, or aluminum!

I personally think this is a great idea by Bauer

giving the customer the opportunity try the gear before buying is genius

not everyone is looking to replace their gear head to toe

hockey equipment is so "fit relevant" that maybe only one or two products will fit a certain person

with skates being the most expensive purchase (and lets be honest, a majority of players are wearing Bauer's already), it would be great to get on the ice with them before you pay for them and take them home

and no this isn't coming from a fan boy, but I do have a few Bauer items

not to say that other brands aren't as equal, but we can all agree that each brand has their niche in certain departments and will continue to grow there

your LHS will be just fine and I'm sure will come up with a way to compete with this in a smaller platform

like holding a "demo day" at a local rink at the start of the season, similar to golf OEM's

Does this mean they are going to make their products twice as expensive as everyone else, and hire Justin Long for their commercials? because dude cant grow a playoff beard. Each stick comes in shiny white, black, or aluminum!

They kind of did make their skates twice as expensive, when they came out with the one90 and everyone was sticker-shocked, but it won them market share to pile on top of what Vapor left...

Maybe this is an opportunity to pursue their Odin protective gear. If you really are going to charge premium prices, premium service is probably required to win the sales up front and to ensure a maximum retention of such "tailored" product. Not that they're definitely going there, but if they were to roll out that kind of product and service, this (the vertically integrated bricks+mortar shop à la Apple and Tesla) would be the way to do it.

My parents sacrificed a lot so I could play hockey because it was expensive. That in the early days of composite-everything taking over the equipment market. It just seems like it's twice as expensive now, which is a shame.

There are also plenty of us playing in leagues not attached to USA Hockey. And last I saw, Canadian hockey was also not growing.

There are also plenty of us playing in leagues not attached to USA Hockey. And last I saw, Canadian hockey was also not growing.

Why is that? My first thought was, it's just so expensive now.

Is it possible that hockey's just saturated in Canada? I don't know anything of the participation statistics. That's interesting though.

"opportunity to try-before-you-buy on an indoor ice rink that will be housed inside the retail experience"

I think I just pitched a tent in my pantalones!!!!

This idea is bound to anger some big account or buying group. It will be interesting to see the backlash and result of this idea when that happens.

If anyone were to make a fuss, they've probably been making it for a couple years now. Whether or not Bauer has taken that fully into consideration, I don't know. My boss seems indifferent to the idea, at least on the surface.

I understand one of the big boys received official notification one hour before the press release.

Pure Hockey has a new 30k sq ft location in Burlington? Is this true?

"6-8 more locations." Check off Chicago, Michigan, Philadelphia, SoCal.

Is it possible that hockey's just saturated in Canada? I don't know anything of the participation statistics. That's interesting though.

2 things:

1) Prohibitive cost

2) Changing demographics

I understand one of the big boys received official notification one hour before the press release.

Pure Hockey has a new 30k sq ft location in Burlington? Is this true?

"6-8 more locations." Check off Chicago, Michigan, Philadelphia, SoCal.

Pure Hockey does have a large location in Burlington. As I hear it, it is a little off the beaten path as far as traffic around the Burlington Mall. I wonder if Pure Hockey opened that store as a preemptive strike upon hearing this news. I'll have to check with my secret source.

More like slightly more expensive but worth it in every way due to the superior build quality ;)

"opportunity to try-before-you-buy on an indoor ice rink that will be housed inside the retail experience"

I think I just pitched a tent in my pantalones!!!!

In 1995(through 1997) SportMart USA stores in Canada had skating area in their store. It was a very cool feature that grabbed lots of attention from our customers. Because it was plastic ice sheets and the skates weren't sharpened you got the premise of how they felt but couldn't really skate great. Most of the customers felt to self-conscious(or didn't want to put on a helmet) and didn't try. A big issue was customers just wanting to try on skates so they could try the skating area.

It will be interesting to see how this gets executed.

The article says it will be an indoor ice rink so they'll have to sharpen. Most likely they will keep samples similar to what reps carry but along a broader spectrum of their offerings.

I read a statistic that said 85% of boys those 18 and under do not play hockey in Canada.