Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBondo

Bauer Experience store in Burlington, MA

Not everyone is the same. I'm not saying no one will buy there, but I'm going to find the cheapest price for that item. I'd definitely go to try a few sticks and to look around but I highly doubt I'd buy one there. It takes me weeks of research and looking around for me to decide on gear to buy cause I want it to be exactly what I want/need. And it's their products, they can have their own store.

True, not everyone is the same but more than likely a person walking into the Bauer store to get fitted has already settled on Bauer as their piece of equipment. If you're in the feeling out stages and not sure of what you might want then the local shop with more brand options is where you want to be.

I think there will be plenty of kids brought to the store with this kind of scenario:

"Now, {insert child's name here} we'll try on a bunch of stuff and see what you like but you're only getting skates today." and they'll walk out with the child's wish list and come holidays/birthdays/what have you they will fill out the list locally.

the thing about the store is they are most likely going to be focusing on current model lines. With MAP pricing restrictions, outside of saving on tax, its going to be a bit harder to find those 1X for cheaper from online retailers. Stores will probably have them on some sort of sale over time, but for me, at least around here, by the time its on sale, ive had something else catch my eye anyways.

I can't remember the last time I bought a current item, especially skates, simply because I think gear pricing in general has gotten completely out of hand.

MAP only applies to advertised pricing. The simple way around that for online stores is the "Too low to advertise" line or "Add to basket to see price".

yes, but you don't see that happening very often on top end bauer gear is my point, until its ready for discount, which at that point its probably no longer on the experiences shelf.

The "add to basket to see price" technically isn't a legit workaround in our hockey world but it does work in other industries. Its the manufacturers and their specific policies. I agree with your point though Chip.

yes, but you don't see that happening very often on top end bauer gear is my point, until its ready for discount, which at that point its probably no longer on the experiences shelf.

So, when an item is ready for discount, how do you think bauer will clear out their inventory? They will lower the prices just like all other stores, with the exception in that they paid peanuts for the item where their dealers paid wholesale markup. It is here where dealers will not be able to compete, the manufacturer can always sell it lower and still make a huge profit.

We don't know what their policy is going to be on that though, so its not fair IMO to judge them for doing that when they haven't yet.

My guess is we'll see them stay with MAP, always. So in early April when Monkey IW Total Pure etc all have the MX3 skates on sale for $699 we'll see the Bauer store do the same, and then when the new 1S skate comes out they'll get rid of all the mx3s and they'll have the 1S. They aren't going to knock the MX3s down to $400 or something and just blow them away at that store. They also won't have any (or very, very few left) on hand when the new product comes out. It'll cost them $500 to send back the gear that's old at the store back to the closest DC then they'll sell it on closeout to retailers. I could see Monkey doing what they always do and just take all the stock Bauer has left over in April.

So, when an item is ready for discount, how do you think bauer will clear out their inventory? They will lower the prices just like all other stores, with the exception in that they paid peanuts for the item where there dealers paid wholesale markup. It is here where dealers will not be able to compete, the manufacturer can always sell it lower and still make a huge profit.

We don't know what their policy is going to be on that though, so its not fair IMO to judge them for doing that when they haven't yet.

My guess is we'll see them stay with MAP, always. So in early April when Monkey IW Total Pure etc all have the MX3 skates on sale for $699 we'll see the Bauer store do the same, and then when the new 1S skate comes out they'll get rid of all the mx3s and they'll have the 1S. They aren't going to knock the MX3s down to $400 or something and just blow them away at that store. They also won't have any (or very, very few left) on hand when the new product comes out. It'll cost them $500 to send back the gear that's old at the store back to the closest DC then they'll sell it on closeout to retailers. I could see Monkey doing what they always do and just take all the stock Bauer has left over in April.

We'll have to see how it pans out. Perhaps they'll open outlet stores, like Nike, etc. I just can't see them jumping into this without making the most money they can. I'm just not that trusting of corporations.

I can't see them carrying all that much old product, that's not how the store is set up. The store is more than adequately staffed and all staff members wear ear pieces for better communication.

I can't see them carrying all that much old product, that's not how the store is set up...

This. If this is a flagship store to show off all the best and greatest gear a vendor has to offer, I'd say there is a slim chance there will be any discounted aged stock in there at all. Probably easy enough to just ship everything out to other retailers and LHS's when it goes on sale to make room for new stuff when it drops.

This. If this is a flagship store to show off all the best and greatest gear a vendor has to offer, I'd say there is a slim chance there will be any discounted aged stock in there at all. Probably easy enough to just ship everything out to other retailers and LHS's when it goes on sale to make room for new stuff when it drops.

That might (and probably should) rub some retailers wrong. "Hey, remember that time we decided you don't sell our products effectively enough so we opened our own store? Well, here's the stuff even we couldn't sell in our own stores! Enjoy!"

They will. Every spring there is the opportunity buy for retailers to buy clearance gear at clearance prices. It'll operate just like it always has and the big boys (total, monkey, giant, pure) will buy clearance product for cheap and sell it on their sites while still making a profit on those pieces of equipment. Why would Bauer want to open up a clearance outlet when they have no problem selling old stuff to retailers already? It would just be more work for them and there consumer base would be infinitely smaller in a clearance outlet store rather than shipping across the country the old product to stores that want it or need it.

That might (and probably should) rub some retailers wrong. "Hey, remember that time we decided you don't sell our products effectively enough so we opened our own store? Well, here's the stuff even we couldn't sell in our own stores! Enjoy!"

As mentioned by raganblink above, this already happens when stores buy gear on closeout to sell on sale.

I'm also not sure that bauer opened this store because [hockey stores] "don't sell our [bauer] products effectively enough." I'm pretty sure it's just to showcase their product in a way that doesn't have other vendors competing for the same shelf space. Not necessarily because lhs's are bad or inadequate, but because the bauer store will be able to only have to worry about their product in their store. Unless I missed some press release or statement saying bauer doesn't like how people are selling their gear.

I bet it makes it easier for the people working there to not have to remember the technology from 4+ different vendors now too

As a retailer, I was being a bit facetious when I made that statement. But Bauer has now entered themselves into a scenario (primarily in Boston) where they are both supplier and competitor.

The idea that they would showcase and fit products in the Bauer store and direct people back to their local guy to purchase is ludicrous.

As a retailer, I was being a bit facetious when I made that statement. But Bauer has now entered themselves into a scenario (primarily in Boston) where they are both supplier and competitor.

The idea that they would showcase and fit products in the Bauer store and direct people back to their local guy to purchase is ludicrous.

Exactly.

Regarding that highlighted comment, the close-out lists from Bauer that I have seen have been very deep in inventory of ALL product, especially high end gear, skates and sticks. The Bauer production forecasts miss the mark quite a bit. Now that the landscape has changed for TH, PH, HM, and HG, I think Bauer has lost their Plan B on where to dump old inventory. If I were a buyer at any of those majors, I would see no incentive to help get Bauer off the hook for old inventory. They screwed those 4 players when product was new and current. Why any of those 4 players would jump at buying discontinued product is a mystery to me. They have better and more profitable ways to spend their purchasing $$ now that Bauer is direct competition.

Regarding that highlighted comment, the close-out lists from Bauer that I have seen have been very deep in inventory of ALL product, especially high end gear, skates and sticks. The Bauer production forecasts miss the mark quite a bit. Now that the landscape has changed for TH, PH, HM, and HG, I think Bauer has lost their Plan B on where to dump old inventory. If I were a buyer at any of those majors, I would see no incentive to help get Bauer off the hook for old inventory. They screwed those 4 players when product was new and current. Why any of those 4 players would jump at buying discontinued product is a mystery to me. They have better and more profitable ways to spend their purchasing $$ now that Bauer is direct competition.

They would probably buy discontinued stuff so they can sell it on massive markdown and claim they have amazing back to hockey sales, or amazing Christmas sales, while still turning a profit on them. The sale advertising doesn't just allow them to sell the gear, but drives traffic into those stores. If a large retailer didn't have these wicked closeouts, people would flock instead to the ones that decided to buy Bauer's overstock (on clearance) and are now blowing it out.

It only takes one of those major stores to buy up a lot of the closeout to ruin the leverage they all have vs Bauer. If 3/4 stores don't, and 1/4 stores do buy it, people will flock to that one store because they have the "best deals."

With that in mind, it turns into a situation where stores would have to risk having competitors around them with large amounts of heavily discounted Bauer gear, or if they think its worth it to not go deep into closeout just to stick it to Bauer.

This is turning into a fun lesson in modern capitalism where the smaller stores suplicate themselves for the table scraps of the big guys.

Right, but one could argue that this could be said of any form of capitalism, modern or otherwise. It could also be argued that this can be said of any larger-scale dominant socio-economic system that we've put into practice so far.

If Bauer follows the Apple Store model they will be fine. I am sure Bauer doesn't want to undercut stores selling their product and I can't imagine any retailer want to threaten that relationship.

For me the biggest advantage of the Bauer store is the staff and inventory. There are too few one off shops and the chains are loaded with kids working part time. I get annoyed when I walk into a shop to buy a certain item and they don't have it. Of course the sales staff immediately directs me to their website. Whats the point of having a shop when you go there and they tell you to buy it from their website.

3 now. LOL

If Bauer follows the Apple Store model they will be fine. I am sure Bauer doesn't want to undercut stores selling their product and I can't imagine any retailer want to threaten that relationship.

For me the biggest advantage of the Bauer store is the staff and inventory. There are too few one off shops and the chains are loaded with kids working part time. I get annoyed when I walk into a shop to buy a certain item and they don't have it. Of course the sales staff immediately directs me to their website. Whats the point of having a shop when you go there and they tell you to buy it from their website.

Is that the same Apple Store model that gets the new ipone in Sept, but the Verizon and ATT stores get them in January? Also, you do realize it's pretty much economically impossible for a privately owned store to carry every brand, size, model, and color. For example, just one model stick has 250 different configurations, that's $35,000 to get just one of each of one model.. Even with manufacturers terms, you only got a max 6 months to pay in full or else take a business loan and pay interest on the stuff sitting in your store. That's not a lot of time to sell before the manufacturers are ramming a fall special, limited editions or new models at you. Now, a store owned by the manufacturer would not be paying wholesale costs on the gear, they're paying manufacturing costs only, so those same 250 sticks might only cost them $8,000 if that That's a huge advantage. So, your local store is doing what they can afford, bring in and stock popular items and if someone wants something that's not in stock, they'll order it for you. That's really the only way it can be done feasibly. Way different than years ago when the models didn't change from year to year, no such thing as fall releases, and even when models did change they weren't much different. Stores had time to sell their inventory. Now they are gun shy to carry a lot of inventory because they know it's only months before the manufactures announce something new coming.