Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve_v3

Adidas lands NHL jersey deal

This is basically just the final piece of pulling Reebok out of hockey, with the exception of low level gear to be sold at places like Dick's or Sports Authority.

Yeah, but this is scary.

A source told TSN that the deal would surely mean big changes to uniform designs, perhaps with Adidas’s familiar three-stripe trademark being added to some or all team jerseys.

I am okay with 3 small stripes on the back of the neck where the Reebok logo is now, but I can see them wanting stripes down the arms.

I was hoping for a new company like Nike or Under Armour in the hopes of them going back to decent quality replica jerseys... but I don't think that will happen with Adidas.

I was expecting Adidas to bid for it to put the CCM logo on them. I mean, the same company as Reebok won the bid, and Reebok is transitioning to CCM, so wouldn't that make sense?

Either way, I'd be okay with the stripes appearing to SOME degree, as long as it's not super invasive. Like Hills said. Maybe something similar to this (but nowhere near as far down the back - just the yoke area where the current Reebok logo is):

0uhtnLom.jpg

Word has it that one of the drivers of the removal of Reebok from hockey is so that CCM can be sold by Adidas. Hence, if Adidas wants to keep the jersey contract with the NHL in house then the safest route is to have it under the Adidas name and not CCM.

Word has it that one of the drivers of the removal of Reebok from hockey is so that CCM can be sold by Adidas. Hence, if Adidas wants to keep the jersey contract with the NHL in house then the safest route is to have it under the Adidas name and not CCM.

If that's the case, then that makes total sense.

I guess this is a good thing for Adidas, the teams, and the corporate sponsors who may eventually find themselves gracing the front of an NHL jersey, but speaking from the perspective of a jersey purist, this deal leaves me feeling very apprehensive. Hell, it's 2015 and I still haven't purchased or embraced a single aspect of the Reebok Edge uniform. I will absolutely go down swinging to keep box cut jerseys and knit socks around, not that they're likely to go anywhere anytime soon.

In any case, I'll revisit this in a few years when I have a better idea of what I'm looking at. Then, I'll hate where necessary.

From the TSN article: "Crosby has an endorsement agreement with Reebok that expires at the end of August and his agents have been negotiating with Adidas."

Curious if Bauer would try to get him since they lost out on the sweaters...and they may have some sponsorship dollars become available in the budget. That being said, Crosby obviously hates to change gear.

I don't think CCM would have abolished the P19/P87A curves to make a P29 with the name of Crosby if they didn't feel confident about having him sign a CCM deal. Especially considering a P29 MacKinnon would have been right there for the taking.

I don't think CCM would have abolished the P19/P87A curves to make a P29 with the name of Crosby if they didn't feel confident about having him sign a CCM deal. Especially considering a P29 MacKinnon would have been right there for the taking.

I'd be betting he signed an equipment contract with the ccm brand and an apparel deal with the reebok side. Sounds like his apparel contract is the one expiring not the equipment one

@nickyb13 in the now closed thread,

North Americans do not react well to advertisements on jerseys. Thats my whole point. International soccer is not that big in the states. Americans in particular like to feel unity with their team. Corporate sponsors (some of which many Americans do not agree with) create a boundary between fan and team. For example, as a Caps fan, our biggest sponsor is arguably Chick Fil-A. While I have zero problem with the company, other fans do and it creates animosity, whether just or not.

Not to mention Wiggins is also an Adidas athlete.

A complete redesign of the uniforms is a catastrophic idea. The NHL already has enough problems catering to fans. Fourth behind baseball, basketball, and American football. Why make the game a bigger target for critics by plastering the jerseys with more advertisements? Super Bowl commercials even have been shown to have a little impact on consumers buying decisions. When will companies learn that more advertisements do not equal profit. Quality over quantity, subtle over flashy.

Like it or not, ads on jerseys are coming, and probably sooner than we think.

And while we're at it, no need to speak for all of us. There are many who don't care one bit if they start putting ads on jerseys.

I can only go by what I've seen from

The majority of players and fans. It has been an overwhelming no to jersey ads.

It's not inevitable if the fans push back. Adidas was dropped by many, many college football programs over fan feedback. If everyone had that attitude the NHL would look a lot different. Many ideas that have been brought up and shot down

I'm not against a small crest patch like the AHL has been doing. I AM against helmet stickers, lower back advertisements, and anything on the front of the jersey other than the main crest.

EDIT: Rick Westhead @rwesthead

Several team execs say they expect the NHL will use the World Cup of Hockey to test the waters for ads on jerseys

Will Adidas inevitably try and put ads on jerseys? Yes. Will it stick? No. To say it is inevitable that jerseys will be plastered with ads is unfounded

People have been saying that ads will be placed on jerseys the past 20 years. If the fans push back, which they will, they will not be there. It only frustrates me the NHL could be this stupid. They'll learn.

Yes, it would be stupid for the NHL and its teams to accept millions and millions of dollars from corporate sponsors. Look, they're already phasing it in without people batting an eye. There are very few NHL practice jerseys that don't have some kind of sponsor logo on them and we've already accepted the shoulder patches on AHL jerseys without hardly a word from anyone. People probably thought there would be a huge fan revolt over ads on the boards and ice but I haven't noticed any fan picket lines over those.

The decision rests solely with the NHL on whether or not ads go on jerseys. Sure, they may have Adidas design them with the necessary space but it will be up the the league whether or not it happens, and we all know how the NHL feels about easy revenue (see expansion application fees).

Millions of dollars to further alienate its fans?

You can't compare practice jerseys to game day jerseys. Fans don't want practice jerseys, hence why on Shop.NHL they're marked down. The AHL isn't even a top tier sports league and Ive heard complaints, Portland comes to mind as one of the bigger offenders with McDonald's on their jersey...

Like I said, they'll try to do it but good luck. Complaints will go straight to the league office. If I'm Bettmam, who was arguably the most hated commissioner in sports before Roger Goodell this past year, I would do everything in my power to stop that from happening.

I guess you'll just have to see for yourself then.

Right, just like everyone thought removing the red line, adding the trapezoid, making visors mandatory, legislating fighting all but out of the game or a hundred other changes the league has made over the years would alienate fans and the NHL would never recover. Heck, they have a lockout every so many years and even that hasn't had a long term negative impact. A little square patch on the jersey won't send fans running to the exits in droves.

They strap all kinds of shit on any surface or oriface they can for nascar and people still watch that. If you are a fan, you will watch period, same game

Interesting news. Ads on jerseys are pretty gross, but I can see them doing it. I wouldn't buy any gear that had an ad (besides for the respective team) on it though.

Any thoughts on wether Adidas will dip a toe into equipment a la Reebok? Seems kind of weird to just do jerseys and some apparel but not have any real association with the sport.