Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

canqingz

passing tips for Lefty on right?

background:I startd playing hockey at age 28 and have been playing for 2 years.

I found it hard to pass on right wing.

should I practise backhand passing more often or should I always prepare myself for backward skating and passing with forehand?

You need to learn how to catch a pass and pass the puck on your back hand. Good example is if you are coming out of the D zone and can't take the pass on your back hand you have two choices, turn around backwards to catch on your fore hand or let it come off the boards and catch on your fore hand. If you turn around backwards you are facing the wrong way the play is going and chances are the pass is in your feet or behind you. If you do catch the pass then you need to turn to pass it forward or skate it out. Both of these slows the play down and makes it to easy for the defenders. If you take it off the boards you have no control and most likely looking behind you to see where it is. Never a good thing, especially in a contact game. All it takes is for the D man to step up and he has the better play on the puck. This option works the best if you have speed and space.

You need to learn how to catch a pass and pass the puck on your back hand.

This.

I am also a lefty that prefers to play the right wing. Need to practice the backhand receiving/sending passes.

You need to learn how to catch a pass and pass the puck on your back hand. Good example is if you are coming out of the D zone and can't take the pass on your back hand you have two choices, turn around backwards to catch on your fore hand or let it come off the boards and catch on your fore hand. If you turn around backwards you are facing the wrong way the play is going and chances are the pass is in your feet or behind you. If you do catch the pass then you need to turn to pass it forward or skate it out. Both of these slows the play down and makes it to easy for the defenders. If you take it off the boards you have no control and most likely looking behind you to see where it is. Never a good thing, especially in a contact game. All it takes is for the D man to step up and he has the better play on the puck. This option works the best if you have speed and space.

thank you for the insight!

since back hand passing is more difficult than fore hand passing(is it ture?), a lefty playing RW means to maximize attack(or shooting) by sacrificing some play making ability?

The bank pass is good if you are skating, have space and the D man can put it off on a good angle so you can catch it. If not you either loose it to the other team, get it behind you or miss it completely. I tell the D that if your going to bank it put some force behind it. That way if I miss it or it misses me there is a chance of it going out of the zone.

Usually everything backhanded is harder to do but you have to learn it to play the game. Players need to practice backhand shooting, passing, receiving just as much as they do their forehand. If not then you only have half a game. Kind of like skating, you have to be able to go backwards as well as forwards.

I am a lefty, and preferred to play Left because my passes were better on my forehand and I had a pretty good chip shot off my backhand.

I'm going to force myself to play more right this season to work my backhand passing better.

The one thing about backhanding is the essense of surprise. Its hard to tell if someone is going to fling a backhander because there isnt much stick loading vs forehander. I'm envious of anyone that can fling backhand sauce.

you can still pass on the forehand. the puck will be on your left side, inline with your skates or behind them slightly. you need your hands out. common rookie mistake is your hands are on your hips which will make it difficult to pass this way.

I'm envious of anyone that can fling backhand sauce.

That's interesting you say that, because the one thing I was going to add is it's much easier to saucer on your backhand. I think this is due to the stick being away from the body, and the puck coming off the middle of the curve.

That's interesting you say that, because the one thing I was going to add is it's much easier to saucer on your backhand. I think this is due to the stick being away from the body, and the puck coming off the middle of the curve.

Really? So your backhand sauce is better than your forehand?

For years, I only had a saucer on my backhand, but I wasn't even trying -- it just happened. Finally, someone showed me what I was doing wrong on the forehand, but I'd still say my backhand 10-12 foot flip is more consistent than my forehand; I sometimes forget to go heel to middle, so my forehand will be slightly angled.

For years, I only had a saucer on my backhand, but I wasn't even trying -- it just happened. Finally, someone showed me what I was doing wrong on the forehand, but I'd still say my backhand 10-12 foot flip is more consistent than my forehand; I sometimes forget to go heel to middle, so my forehand will be slightly angled.

flipping the puck is one thing, saucer pass is totally different....

anyway, I find backhand saucer hard

Okay, then let me rewrite it: "I'd still say my backhand 10-12 foot saucer flip....."

I don't understand the confusion. I never tried to saucer my backhands; they just go that way.