Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vuronov

Tapping knob below end of the stick

Random thought just popped into my head.

I'm 5'6" and usually get intermediate sticks that I end up cutting 4 or so in off of when all is said and done. I just got a prostock Marty St Louis stick that unsurprisingly is already almost exactly the length that I want, being only maybe half an in. or more longer than where I usually cut to.

Anyhow, it occurred to me, why not just tape up the knob below the end of the stick to where I would usually like it, thus avoiding the need to have some cut off. My hand would just grip where it feels the butt end anyways.

Anyone else do this when they want a stick an in or less shorter? I'd imagine it wouldn't really affect flex or anything else.

I tried this once to see if I'd like a shorter stick but I actually don't wrap my whole hand around the stick the butt end usually end up toward my Palm at the pinky finger so it felt weird. I've got a teammate that does it though.

Anyhow, it occurred to me, why not just tape up the knob below the end of the stick to where I would usually like it, thus avoiding the need to have some cut off. My hand would just grip where it feels the butt end anyways.

Anyone else do this when they want a stick an in or less shorter? I'd imagine it wouldn't really affect flex or anything else.

Yes, I have done this. I've been experimenting with the length of a new stick and I didn't want to cut off too much. I cut the stick 1.5" longer than my old sticks, and I tape the knob at whatever height I want to try. I've had the knob 1.5" lower than the end of the stick and that didn't bother me. My stickhandling and shooting was fine.

Technically speaking, the end of the stick has to have tape over it.

Why? I tape the end of my stick, but is there a rule or something that explicitly states that?

At least for USA Hockey-

Rule 301 Sticks

(a) The sticks shall be made of wood or other material approved

by the Rules Committee, and must not have any projections.

All edges of the blade shall be beveled. The end of a hollow

shaft must be fully covered. Adhesive tape of any color may

be wrapped around the stick at any place for the purpose of

reinforcement or to improve control of the puck.

Assume other organizations would want something along these lines as well.

it's my understanding that when they say the end of a hollow shaft must be covered they are talking about it being plugged with something, not taped. That's why you get the nifty plug with the stick. It's for player protection if you get but ended somehow. A hollow tube can penetrate you, a solid tube just hurts a lot.

I don't get why you wouldn't just cut it? There no advantage to leaving it uncut above the nob, except that it's easier to buttend someone (or yourself, when it gets caught in the zamboni door).

I not sure about other places, but we were always taught to hold the end of the stick in the palm of your hand vs up against a knob. I have three fingers and thumb on the stick and my pinky hangs over the end. Coaches always hated kids showing up with the large pre-made rubber knobs because it taught them wrong from the beginning (limits range of motion/touch).

Now, I am sure there are some great players that hold the end of their stick like a baseball bat on the end, but just giving my two cents.

Also the safety aspect for yourself and others warrants you cutting the end off the stick.