Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wetwilly17

New girdle suggestions

I currently use the Alkali CA9. I'm looking for slightly more protection (mainly on the hip joint) but retaining the most breathability as possible is very important to me as I tend to overheat. Unfortunately I now live where there isn't a LHS within 2 hours so I can't see anything for myself. My questions are:

1) The Alkali RPD Max girdle looks identical to the CA9 but with perforations. Is that correct? If so, I won't try it as I want just a little more protection.

2) The Mission Elite girdle looks like it may be the best option I have. Thoughts?

3) Does anyone have experience with the shock doctor girdles? If they have anymore padding than the Alkali, they look like they would work for me. By the looks online, they look equivalent to Alkali.

Are there any new equipment lines coming out that I should wait for?

Thanks!

If you want a lot more protection you could consider a well ventilated ice girdle like the Warrior Dynasty.

If you only want a touch more protection, but stick to a light roller girdle then the Tron V-Elite (copy of the Valken V-Elite) is a good option. It's regularly $59.99 on the Hockeytron site, but often goes on sale for much less if you subscribe to and watch their sales emails. I've been using the Valken version for years and came form a Mission Thorax before that - the Valken provides very good ventilation, but sufficient protection for my needs. I also have a Tron version in my closet as a backup and it seems like an exact clone with different branding (haven't used it yet).

The grey material you'll see in the pictures of the V-Elite is ventilated mesh and it goes all the way around - it really helps with the ventilation and I certainly noticed a difference when I first started using it compared to the old Thorax I had that didn't have vents.

you might want to look at an RBZ girdle as well. I use the model under, and its been pretty good, but I think from what your saying you may want to jump up to the protection the RBZ offers.

That's a good suggestion. I haven't used or seen the RBZ girdle in person, but from the pictures it does look like it'd be a good protective and well ventilated option to consider. I forgot about that one - it has been mentioned in previous threads, but I've never seen it so it slipped my mind. If I no longer had the V-elite and it wasn't being sold I'd definitely look into the RBZ myself. Today I'd probably still lean toward the V-elite because it does the job well for me and it much cheaper than the $89.99 RBZ (during a sale it's often less than half the price).

As a side note, if you are interested in the Mission Elite girdle, hold off for a few weeks. Their next generation of girdles will be coming out on the 12th, which has 37.5 in it (Elite and Pro). I'm a big believer in 37.5, especially since I sweat a lot. But either way, the old ones should be going on sale soon too. Just fyi.

I honestly love 37.5 as well, so that may become a good option for me too. love that its coming down to both price points!

Same with the padded shirts! I'm definitely considering the pro for ice league games and the elite for the roller/drop-in.

Is there a new version of the black/green padded shirt coming out?

Yep yep. That's the pro shirt I was referring to.

PS: My apologies for the derailment here.

Ah okay I've been eyeing that shirt for quite some time as a replacement to my ice shoulder pads (Down Low Shoulder Pads) but if they have a 37.5 version coming out, I'll definitely be waiting.

You may want to read through this thread before making your final decision: http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/64734-roller-girdle-recommendations/?p=990102

Especially note post 13 in that thread - a user of the Mission Pro, Cosmic, relates his experiences and why he decided to ditch that girdle. The 37.5 may help and perhaps the new version will have other tweaks, but it sounds like the current version isn't very well ventilated.

its my understanding that only the pro model has extra protection that blocks the ventilation. I'm hoping that isn't the case on the elite model. can anyone confirm this?

I was annoyed when alkali advertised their skate tongues as ventilated only to find out that the ventilation is covered by material. but then again I've never studied 'lithium science'. I have supreme one80 elbow pads that have the same problem - the 'vent armor' has a layer under it preventing any actual ventilation.

If you want a lot more protection you could consider a well ventilated ice girdle like the Warrior Dynasty.

Is that as ventilated as it appears in the photos? I've never been a girdle guy but the Dynasty looks nice enough to give it a shot. If it's well ventilated, I'm up for trying it.

I don't personally own it, but I did see and handle it at Winterfest last year and it seemed extremely well ventilated. I know there are at least a few members of the board that own it though - Cosmic posted pictures and made some comments on page 4 of the Dynasty girdle thread and brandonthequick also mentioned owning it. Either of those two members should be able to tell you how well it ventilates when in use.

I've been using the Dynasty for two months now with the shell but it's on ice. It definitely ventilates better than the projekt or eagle x95s I had.

I actually use the projekt girdle for roller since it seems to have slightly less padding than the dynasty. it fits better under roller pants.

The Dynasty girdle is closer to a pant more than a tight fitting girdle and doesn't hug the body.

No, the padding in the V-Elite is not perforated, however; it's well ventilated because there are two grey strips of mesh that go up the front, back and under the girdle. The image below is of the Valken version, but the Tron version is basically an exact clone with their branding. All the grey material lets in air and you can feel it when you're skating (you don't notice it as much once you've used it for a while, but when you go from another girdle that doesn't have ventilation to this one it's pretty apparent). The grey material is mesh, but it's tightly woven and has been quite durable for me - I've used my original Valken version for about 4 years in all seasons and the mesh is still intact. I haven't used the Tron version yet, but it looks to be the same material (I have it in a closet).

tron-valken-v-elite-senior-inline-hockey

I've been playing roller for years and just now decided to try out a girdle, tired of having bruises all over my thighs. I ended up going with the Shock Doctor shockskin 5-pad short (compression short style). It's not specifically branded for hockey, but i don't really see any difference between it and the Alkali or Mission versions. They do have a compression short branded for hockey, but it only has a cup and hip padding, no thigh pads which is why i wanted it to begin with. Anyway, i like it quite a bit, I was a little bummed that it didn't come with a cup, but it does have a pocket for one. It also doesnt have the jock straps which some inline girdles do but even so I find that everything is nice a snug. I think i paid under $50 for it + $10 for the cup, so you're still saving a few bucks over the Alkali and Mission versions.

Thanks LAK5656, I've been eyeing the two that IW sells.

Chase, can you comment:

1) of the shock doctor girdles, which provides the better hip padding?

2) on the mission elite girdle, is the padding truly perforated? or is there a barrier at some point preventing actual airflow (this is what I want to avoid as is the case on my supreme one80 elbow pads, but not the case on my vapor xxxx shin pads)

Thanks!

If your curious about the shock doctor ultra shockskin 5 pad girdle, i can tell you that it is awesome. I never wore a girdle playing until i went airborne and fell directly on my hip joint (hurt like hell for a couple weeks). decided to look into a padded compression short and ultimately decided on the shock doctor. These are awesome shorts, ive fallen a few times pretty hard since and came away unscathed. The best part though is when im skating i barely notice i have a girdle on. Probably not as protective as some of the other girdles mentioned in this thread but its all in what you are looking for. Personally didnt want anything too bulky. Hope this helps.

SDUS5-thumb.jpg

if you can find a pair of reebok 11k girdle, they're protective in the hips and breathes very nicely and if you wanted to you, you can cut sone of the padding off to make it lighter as well!