Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

syinx

Shin Guard Length?

Had a teammate get me all insecure about my shin pad length. Was chirping me a touch about me wearing my shin pads too long.

Just a quick preface:

- I wear them over my tongues.

- Knee firmly in donut, and doesn't move about.

- Shin pad does not shift when I'm skating, but that could be attributed to the tightness of the Reebok Edge socks, and/or how firmly I tape my shins.

- Plastic portion of guard covers approximately 1 eyelet, Cloth/Fabric portion covers 1 eyelet further (2 eyelets down overall).

- Does not seem to impede my forward bend (feels just fine to me, I feel no pressure)

The only thing conductive to the idea that they are too long is that it's actually kinda difficult to try and slide my tongues under after the shinguards and socks have been put on.

So I took a picture and thought I'd ask you guys. Sorry it looks like it was taken by a potato. I had to use my smart phone, and had no helper, and I'm exhausted.

iy0bd2.jpg

Am I being a numpty?

Better to have them extra long than not long enough. Here it doesn't look like you're going "too long" with them. Plenty of guys like them like that. If it doesn't affect your skating, all it's doing is offering more protection. How could that be a bad thing? On VH's site, the skates are shown on a player wearing roughly the same length shin pad. That reinforces my perception that wearing shins to around one-or-two eyelets of skate overlap is a popular setup.

Tendon-Guard-square.png

At first, I don't think yours are too long. We can see similar settings on Crosby, Hossa or Jagr's equipments.

I'm not tall as same you so. I used to use 14" shin guard because it would be junior sizes if go down 13". There is much difference between junior and senior size. 13" junior shin guards are too narrow for an adult.

Then also I don't like such these "long shin guard style". Honestly, I wanted to wear with flop style if I liked it. It looks slim.

So now I've been using this shin guard.

WNViS7L.jpg

I posted this shin pads on modifying thread but this is the first time showing after this guards have been finished. Cut the under part of 14" Mako M5 according to my VH's edge line without front surface. 589g to 501g. It hasn't lost its width or depth fitting of senior size but also fit my length. I'm very satisfied with this.

It seems you are not so, but not a few people who have been using such this long shin guard are troubled with slipping to right or left. It would be caused by touching only one side of shin pads with boots edge. So it would make twist. We have to wrap both side as yours or to cut both sides as mine If we want to solve this issue.

YwXyLLV.jpgBmlwKNO.jpg

The answer depends on the width of the shinguard in relation to the 1-2 eyelets they reach. However, the length you have is common for extra protection. If you find yourself getting hit a lot in that area, keep them.

A little note if you go shorter...VH skate tongues tend to pop out easily. The shorter shins would only promote this more. Personally, I wear shorter shins that stop above the eyelets. I prefer the feel and ease of it.

The only thing conductive to the idea that they are too long is that it's actually kinda difficult to try and slide my tongues under after the shinguards and socks have been put on.

My shins fit the same way yours do in the photo and I would much rather have them longer than shorter. I've taken a shot in the laces before and it hurts. When I get dressed, I put my jock/spandex long pants on first (that have been modified so that the cuff is about mid calf length), then I put my socks on and pull the cuffs upabout mid calf. I then put my skates on and pull the socks down so that they are tucked in behind the tendon guard and pushed down so that the tongue and laces are exposed. I then put my shins on over the tongue and tuck my excess laces under the shins as well and then pull my socks up, attach them at the velcro tabs up top and then roll part of the socks at the bottom under my shin pads as well. After all of that, I put my pants on and is not difficult since I have zippered gussets and I also use sof skate guards so that I don't cut the inside of my pants. This is much easier for me than putting my skates on last and having to fight my shin pads while doing so.

I wear mine similar to that as well. I had a pair of RBK 6K shins that I had to remove a bit of the plastic material from the outside bottom edge of the pads because they would get inside my skate and put pressure on my ankle bone. Kind of like what Mimizk did to his, but nowhere to the extent that he did. I've got Makos now and didn't have any problems with them out of the box so I never had to take a Dremel to them.

Just leave your socks around your ankles and pull them up after you put your skates and shin pads on. It's not hard to attach the velcro or clips in your pant leg.

look fine to me

I wear mine outside tongues too

heres how my gear goes on after the basics:

I still use a garter belt, so I will actually hook my socks up, no shins on yet

toss pants on, pull socks up above my knee

tie skates

put shin guard on (always left first ;) ), pulling socks down from above my knee

tape those bastards on and were GTG

tell ur bud to zip his pie hole too ..... LOL

You'd know if it was too long, because it would cause pain in the foot from digging in each time you stride, and/or it would limit your forward flex and mess up your skating. I tuck my shins behind the tongue, because I feel more mobile, but that's just my PP.

It's personal preference! Guys like Marian Hossa and Martin Hanzal like longer pads for extra protection while guys like Ovi have fairly shorter pads for their tongues out lifestyle.

It's a myth that you get less protection with tongues out. I think we just get different protection, from going tongues in or out. This guy makes an interesting point about how the protection covers the inside lower leg better, when you go tongues out (I seem to take a lot of pucks there above the ankle on the inner leg, from forechecking and catching saucer passes from D-men there):

It is personal preference. Before I got VH I used to flop my tongues. I tried flopping my tongues with VH but didn't like how it felt so now I tuck my tongues.

Syinx. My shins are shorter than yours and after getting hit with a puck right on the instep below the shin pad I am thinking I want pads similar to your length.

Tell the guy to stop staring at you. I wear my shins the same way and wish somebody would say something after reading all these words of encouragement.