Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stljrs

CCM Speedburner - Thoughts?

Not really seen much on here about this newer stick from CCM. My son has it in the Hossa curve and swears by it. He claims his slapshot is better than it was with a Warrior DT3. I guess only he would know. Same pattern both sticks, P88 clones. Anecdotally, his passes seem crisper. I do notice that the stick/blade is "loud", whether stickhandling, catching passes or shooting. There's no doubt the blade is hollow. I don't really care for the sound but it apparently doesn't bother him.

Curious what the experts on here that have tried it or used it think of it. I can say that durability so far has been very good, even the paint job, which seemed to be a criticism of the prior Superfast and other sticks in the RBZ series.

Coincidentally, I just picked up one of these this morning on a local steal of a deal. Also the Hossa curve which isn't usually my go-to curve, that being the P92 .

I have a tournament this weekend where I'll test it out and reply back!

I'll agree with him that slapshots are better with it, I definitely noticed my shots were harder and more accurate, however overall I'm not a fan of the stick. I have a much harder time stickhandling with it because the puck feel seems almost nonexistant compared to my other sticks (mostly Warriors, DT3LT, Widow, and QR Pro all in 75 flex, as well as a Bauer TO NXG in 87). I also found it to be much stiffer compared to the other sticks, even the NXG which has a higher flex rating, so all my other shots come off weaker, though accuracy is pretty good. I've only used it 9-10 times so hard to comment on durability other than a few paint chips on the bottom of the blade and bottom are of shaft

I'm in the midst of a long term review.http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/68107-ccm-speedburner/ . Like most CCM sticks it plays stiffer than listed. If you want something that feels close to an 85 flex in other brands drop down a level to the 75 etc. Blade has very little "feel" but pucks do come off it hard. That's great when shooting, not so great trying to catch a hard pass.. Durability has been good as noted above- very minor cosmetic scuffs thus far.

So, as stated before, I played in a tournament this weekend and used the Speedburner the whole weekend. Here are my thoughts:

- Wrist shots felt good, but no harder than before (based on my high school physics from a long time ago, I can't imagine the speed pocket helping out wristers)

- Perhaps a small increase in power on snap and slap shots due to that trampoline effect.

- I liked the puck feel. I think it felt similar to my Reebok Ribcor which I wasn't expecting. Going in I thought a bunch of passes would bounce off the hollow blade. Not so much

- Paint seems to chip fairly easily. I mean I play center and faceoffs are abusive on sticks, but it sure looks like a well used stick after 2 days of games. A little disheartening, but I think its structurally okay

Just wanted to add a photo of the (hopefully only cosmetic) chips in the toe after the 5 game tourney

I'll reiterate, I'm quite happy with the stick other than this slightly disheartening toe paint chipping

y7LZycN.jpg

Mine tapes the whole blade so maybe that has helped the chipping on the toe. But even the shaft has held up well so far. Appreciate the follow up. If he thinks it's better and helps him play better, more power to him. A mental edge is better than no edge!

Looked at it again this weekend. Turns out the toe is wearing. The very end is actually splitting just a bit, like the layers are coming apart. So far no impact on the stick otherwise but now I'm wondering if it will make it through the season. We will have to be diligent to keep it taped. At least with it being for a youth player, he may outgrow it before it wears out. Since I started the topic, I thought I'd follow-up again since it's not proving to be as durable as I initially thought. His Warrior DT series sticks have not peeled apart at the toe, even after a full year of use.