Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aviery

Ice to Inline to Ice

Hi Team,

Just wondering if anyone has any methods to create an easier transition between sport court and a frozen slab.

Skating Ice 3-4 times a week in TotalOne MX3's and Inline once a week in Inhaler DS1's. I'm fearful that Inline will start to screw with my ice skating.

​I also find the transition weekly to be very strange, alas, I'm only new to inline and have played ice for 15+ years.

Get a Sprung or marsblade chassis. There are large threads on both in this forum including comparisons of the two. I haven't used marsblades, but enjoy the Sprungs and find it does feel more ice like than a traditional roller chassis.

You should be ok if you're doing both ice and inline at the same time. I find my ice skating suffers for the first couple sessions after a summer of roller hockey with no ice in between.

As long as you keep skating both with close to equal amounts, your muscle memory will remain. If you spend more time on one than the other then one will suffer over time. Getting stopping and turning right (no edges to help) will be your biggest concern in picking up inline.

As long as you keep skating both with close to equal amounts, your muscle memory will remain. If you spend more time on one than the other then one will suffer over time. Getting stopping and turning right (no edges to help) will be your biggest concern in picking up inline.

The converse is true in going from inline to ice. If one does too much inlining, then goes to ice, it seems there is a habit of not doing things aggressively, since one has become accustomed to not having edges to facilitate proper ice hockey skating (which is way more aggressive, edgewise/ tight turnwise/ hard stopwise, than inline skating).

I play back and forth between both all the time, and have just gotten used to it. Currently playing on two ice league, two outdoor roller league, and an indoor roller league. I'm still using normal Bauer ice skates and Bauer inline skates with the stock hilo chassis.

I just make sure to spend the warm-ups skating around getting used to the edges (or lack of), stopping, etc. Give yourself a couple weeks going back and forth to get used to the transition and I think it will just become muscle memory for you.