Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

The 2015-16 Suspension Thread

That's such a weird one. He's going to get the 10 games for sure, but I just don't understand it at all. He was trying to get to the bench and then BAM. I mean he didn't just collide with the linesman there, he almost jumped into him. I don't understand why somebody would do that. I watched it over and over and just couldn't fathom how it could be anything but an accident but it CLEARLY wasn't.

I saw the video on youtube while one can argue that Wideman was surprised to see the ref in his way (looked like he had his head down on the way to the bench), what makes it look bad for him is the way he followed through high with his hands/stick.

Yea exactly. It's one thing to have a collision, its another to have a collision and raise your arms to defend yourself from being injured, but its a whole other thing to actually push forward with the arms up. I don't get it.

Wideman's story after the game doesn't quite match the video closely enough for me accept it as his truth on the matter. I can't get past how Wideman didn't see the linesman. He was skating upright quite well from just prior to smacking his stick on the ice (just before his own blue line). His head is held pretty upright too which leads me to believe he is looking ahead. In the video, the linesman is just crossing the center red line skating backwards. Wideman glides with his feet close together or does small stride until just prior to impact. As he approaches the unsuspecting linesman, he grasps his stick in both hands, shuffles his feet which widens his stance and moves Wideman away from the boards slightly. When Wideman makes contact with the linesman, he seems to explode his hands into upper back of the linesman. The way Wideman reacts by jumping on the bench and shows no concern is another element that should be raised. It looked like he was trying to get the fuck out of dodge before the other refs got his number. Most player once they realize what they've done would have leaned over the boards to see how the official is doing. Not Wideman, he just sat there. Also, for a guy who claimed to have pretty good pain in his neck and shoulder he didn't receive much attention from the trainer, no concussion protocol/quiet room nor did Wideman miss a shift. It looked like the trainer asked how he was doing and Wideman responded "I'm fine" as he stretched his neck. Wideman's post-game feelings about the hit being reviewed were just terrible. He really seemed to lack insight into the seriousness of his actions, intentional or otherwise. His "it was an accident and I said sorry should be enough" attitude doesn't sit well with me either. I think he's in for 20+ games.

No one has suggested that maybe he had a concussion and or some type of brain cramp from the fall and he really was out of it.

My personal feelings is he should be done for the rest of the season and playoffs. This was clear abuse of an official which can not be tolerated especially when there can be a trickle down effect. Young, impressionable players at all levels will see this and start thinking that you can get a slap on the hand for this. If it was an accident why did he get to the bench so fast...so there wasn't a to many men penalty; BS. If it was an accident he would have shown some remorse. Right now the league needs to use him to show it will not be tolerated.

I've gotten run into by some big boys while officiating. Sometimes I get the worst of it, sometimes they do. Either way, they always check to see if I'm ok, either immediately, or the next whistle. The fact that Wideman didn't (appear) to do that doesn't indicate that it was accidental. It seems that he saw the Liney last second, and then decided it was either "him or me". Douche move either way, especially since you KNOW the liney had no idea that Wideman was coming.

No one has suggested that maybe he had a concussion and or some type of brain cramp from the fall and he really was out of it.

Streeeeeeeeeetttttttttttttttttccccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

That doesn't preclude him from checking with the guy later in the game or giving the stick tap at a stoppage with a sheepish, "sorry about that".

Some TV hockey analysts have suggested IF he had his bell rung and was disoriented they could buy Wideman's story. But this isn't what Wideman is claiming which only makes the act worse.

He may have had his bell rung but that didn't stop him from banging his stick off the wall or skating straight up and not hunched over to the bench. Unless he had his eyes closed while gliding there is no way he didn't see the Linesman. To me he did show any reaction to trying to get out of the way or minimize the impact. He got both hands up high and gave a healthy shove. He's lucky the Linesman didn't get a whiplash type injury; we all know what it feels like when you get hit from behind and your head snaps back. To me it looked like he was pissed for the non call on the hit he took (it should have been a boarding penalty) and let his emotions take over.

When players feel they are above the rules or officials the game looses respect and suffers. Just like when a coach gets fired because of a star player you are sending a signal that the player matters more than the team or authority. And that is one thing really wrong in today's sports. Some players are treated like gods and have no accountability for their actions. We are seeing it more and more.

Streeeeeeeeeetttttttttttttttttccccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

That doesn't preclude him from checking with the guy later in the game or giving the stick tap at a stoppage with a sheepish, "sorry about that".

Evidently he did apologize during a TV timeout.

To me he did show any reaction to trying to get out of the way or minimize the impact.

Assuming you mean "didn't", watch his feet. He definitely tried to get out of the way. You don't make that movement with your feet unless you're trying to get out of the way.

But that's why what his upper body was doing is so confusing. It's almost like the thought process was "oh crap! Gotta avoid... Ack! Not going to be able to. Oh well, might as well make the most of this opportunity...."

Wideman has always struck me as a bit of a dick, it wouldn't surprise me if he decided to make it worth his while once he couldn't avoid some kind of contact.

I'm curious to see if the officials also enact an unofficial punishment. Perhaps they'll feel 20 games is sufficient, but if they don't there are lots of ways they can make Wideman's life a lot less pleasant. Missing a call here, late into a fight there, it wouldn't be fun.

I'm curious to see if the officials also enact an unofficial punishment. Perhaps they'll feel 20 games is sufficient, but if they don't there are lots of ways they can make Wideman's life a lot less pleasant. Missing a call here, late into a fight there, it wouldn't be fun.

Officials do things like that all the time, no reason to believe that some of them won't abuse their authority in order to get their own pound of flesh.

Stafford suspended for 1 game for a high stick.

http://www.tsn.ca/jets-stafford-banned-one-game-for-high-stick-1.434717

I don't agree with this. I think the double minor was sufficient.

I don't know. Did you watch the game? The refs were letting all kinds of shifty stuff happen and kept trying to stop any fights. It just kept escalating in dangerous plays all around.

Ehlers fought Barrie. Like who tries to fight Tyson Barrie? It was just bizarre. The two teams are starting to have a history of games like this though. I remember their first game last season at one point they both had like six guys in the box.

I don't know. Did you watch the game? The refs were letting all kinds of shifty stuff happen and kept trying to stop any fights. It just kept escalating in dangerous plays all around.

Ehlers fought Barrie. Like who tries to fight Tyson Barrie? It was just bizarre. The two teams are starting to have a history of games like this though. I remember their first game last season at one point they both had like six guys in the box.

No, I have no interest in either of these teams. But the video alone looks like nothing more than a 4 was warranted. I'm not sure the rest of the game should be taken into consideration for suspensions anyway.