Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

moejoe3117

Modding a chest protector

I have actually modded my chest protector before. I had a double floater set up on my last chest. What I actually carry in my bag and use for mods is a lighter, a few rolls of dental floss, needles, and a small pair of needle nose pliers. I have found the dental floss to hold up extremely well as thread.

I typically comb PIAS and troll Hockey Tron for cheap shoulder pads to use to mod chestys. I have also looked outside of the box and found baseball chestys to be of some use, as well. I have heard of people sewing street hockey chestys to the inside. Some guys use yoga mats and glue them on. mc88 has a great and exhaustive tutorial on sewing. 907rx7 also has some great tips on tools. I use the Speedy Stitcher as well as other methods. I have also used glue-anything from ShooGoo to E6000 to attach pieces.

I have added shoulder caps, additional biceps protection, belly blocks, and wrist protection on the catching side. Once you start modding, you don't stop. Some units, like my Vaughn LT80, are deficient out of the box.

im about to cut the collar piece off my vaughn 9400. it just gets in the way and my mask hits it when i look down. it is very annoying. i do wear a brians neck/clavicle guard so im not worried about sacrificing any protection.

im about to cut the collar piece off my vaughn 9400. it just gets in the way and my mask hits it when i look down. it is very annoying. i do wear a brians neck/clavicle guard so im not worried about sacrificing any protection.

Use a seam ripper and you will have a clean, factory look to your mod. You can also then save it for the next person. Many who order Brown CA's will omit the integral neck guard for that reason alone.

I wear a dangler from a GL100 on my HM 30 clone (an OTNY HM-30 clone on my SK2000 clone) plus my CCM neck/clavicle guard, so I could conceivably remove the collar on my Vaughn.

so i did the deed. all i did was cut a 3" incision with an xacto knife on the backside of the collar. this allowed me to remove the dual-density foam insert padding. should i decide to sell it i can simply reinsert the foam and sew or glue the slice in the nylon closed.

first pic shows me pinching the mesh and nylon together, it lays down nicely and wont interfere with my mask at all now.

second and third pic show the foam padding that i removed.

20151013_212357.jpg

20151013_212311.jpg20151013_212308.jpg

Used my chesty last night and removing that padding felt amazing! i had much better peripheral as I was able to move my head downward without any impairment.