Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Labrat198

Slow the game down

Wondering if anyone has any tips on how to mentally slow the game down?

As I have been getting back into the game I can see plays developing and get into position without the puck, but as soon as I see it coming my way I get tunnel vision and everything just seems to happen faster than I am able to react to. I use to feel the same was without the puck, so I know that it will eventually slow down but I would like to speed the process up if I can.

I always say, if you always expect the puck to come to you- you'll never be surprise. You need to know what you want to do with the puck before you even have to make that decision I like to have always have two options in my head usually when I'm on the ice awaiting a pass or getting open.

Also when you skate with the puck with your head up things tend to slow down. The level of on-ice awareness you can be increased by choosing to acquire information. Know where your teammates are and where possible pressure from the other team is coming from and always prepare ahead.

Plan ahead, know what you want to do with it before you get it, always look around.

The more comfortable you are with the puck on your stick, they more easily you will see the play. Using open space helps a lot as well. If you are focused on beating the guy in front of you, you are never going to see what is going on around you.