Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dizzyg12

Broken boot - x90's - suggestions?

Took a wrist shot off the foot. Barely felt it but getting undressed I noticed it was dented/broken/caved in. Skates are about - year and two months old. I was shocked. I've never seen this happen to anyone and nothing close to any skates I've ever owned in 20+ years of playing.

I contacted Bauer and need to send ee4b88f74be3fb39d84d687f47d6ed18.jpga966d1106d4e34fbad786859b3d6b527.jpgf57ec6ac537e36247947d416ea658d70.jpgthem in for inspection and possible replacement if they seem them damaged to the point where protection is compromised. I've had three different shops look at them and they all say the same thing, it's broken all the way through.

Anyone experience this before?

As a replacement I know the x800s are the comparable skates, but would it be worth it to upgrade to the 900s?

422e263a4791d0782f116ec2bb87f421.jpg

Looks like the boot did its job of protecting your foot. People complain all the time "my shin pads broke and now i have to get a new pair, this brand is sh!t", yet dont realise that without all that protection they could have a really nasty bruise at least.

I'd go back to the place you bought it from and ask them what they could do. They might even give you a discount on your next purchase. Its out of warranty from what I remember on warranty periods, but it doesnt hurt to ask. Worst they could say is 'sorry but we cant help you'.

my x100's did the same thing from another players skate. I haven't talked to bauer because I figured I would rather the boot get destroyed rather then my foot. I've been skating on them but the boot is breaking down pretty badly now

I had a pair of x90s and my boot buckled. If the boot is less than 90 days old Bauer will back you, it's worth it to check with their warranty department to see if even out of warranty they will cover you because they might. The x800 are not comparable they are a completely different skate. The x90 is the same as the x:60 previously. You could see

If you can find yourself a pair of x90s on eBay, pro stock somewhere. I would not replace them with a low price point skate. I'd seek leftover top tier skates.

Looks like the boot did its job of protecting your foot. People complain all the time "my shin pads broke and now i have to get a new pair, this brand is sh!t", yet dont realise that without all that protection they could have a really nasty bruise at least.

I'd go back to the place you bought it from and ask them what they could do. They might even give you a discount on your next purchase. Its out of warranty from what I remember on warranty periods, but it doesnt hurt to ask. Worst they could say is 'sorry but we cant help you'.

Yeah it definitely did its job. I've taken a few hard shots off them and never even a bruise. I'm not bashing the protection aspect. I'm just surprised that it happened. 20 years of hockey and this is a first for me.

Bauer is going to look at them and consider an exception to the warranty depending on what they see. I won't hold my breath but it's worth having them inspect it.

my x100's did the same thing from another players skate. I haven't talked to bauer because I figured I would rather the boot get destroyed rather then my foot. I've been skating on them but the boot is breaking down pretty badly now

I considered just running with it and seeing what happens but I can push on the outside and feel my thumbs in the inside. That area is done and it's not worth the risk because the next shot in that area means a broken foot for sure.

Bauer received the skates today and had decided to replace them. They are sending me the X900s. I figured it would be the 800s but I'm not complaining! I couldn't be more pleased with their handling of this issue. Great news considering the holidays are upon us and I spending several hundred on new skates wouldn't help the wallet.

Great news. Bauer customer service is top notch. My X90s broke and without hesitation they said sorry for your luck just take them back to the store and we will authorize the credit. My customs needed to be sent back and they sent my new ones back 2 day air from Canada. I sent emails to them at midnight and had a response by 9am the next day. You're basically getting an APX2/APX caliber skate, you were taken care of

Great news. Bauer customer service is top notch. My X90s broke and without hesitation they said sorry for your luck just take them back to the store and we will authorize the credit. My customs needed to be sent back and they sent my new ones back 2 day air from Canada. I sent emails to them at midnight and had a response by 9am the next day. You're basically getting an APX2/APX caliber skate, you were taken care of

Yeo they are even sending them 2nd day air so I will have them in time to bake them before my game this Sunday.

Well - I skated on them last night. And I hate to say it but these just aren't going to work. I can feel bad lace bite already and I don't see any way it's going to get better. It felt like a saw in the front of my ankle all night. I had the exact same issue when I tried the APXR For inline and this is basically the same boot. What strikes me as odd is that there are only 9 eyelets in the skate whereas the x90s and other models have 10. I don't know why they do this and it seems like it's just in the size 7 or below. The 8s and up have 10. As stupid as it seems, that appears to be the reason why they don't fit well and grind the tendon at the front of my ankle.

So, unfortunately I'm not able

To move ahead with these. I contacted Bauer again to see

What else can be done. I am not expecting them to do anything else but we'll see.

Well - I skated on them last night. And I hate to say it but these just aren't going to work. I can feel bad lace bite already and I don't see any way it's going to get better. It felt like a saw in the front of my ankle all night. I had the exact same issue when I tried the APXR For inline and this is basically the same boot. What strikes me as odd is that there are only 9 eyelets in the skate whereas the x90s and other models have 10. I don't know why they do this and it seems like it's just in the size 7 or below. The 8s and up have 10. As stupid as it seems, that appears to be the reason why they don't fit well and grind the tendon at the front of my ankle.

So, unfortunately I'm not able

To move ahead with these. I contacted Bauer again to see

What else can be done. I am not expecting them to do anything else but we'll see.

Did you try dropping an eyelet on lacing? I got a nasty case of lace bite on my right ankle after a year of using my APXs. I started dropping the top eyelet and the lace bite is coming along at this point. Not to mention, I feel I can roll my ankles much better to use edges. Just a suggestion, unless you've already tried this.

Did you try dropping an eyelet on lacing? I got a nasty case of lace bite on my right ankle after a year of using my APXs. I started dropping the top eyelet and the lace bite is coming along at this point. Not to mention, I feel I can roll my ankles much better to use edges. Just a suggestion, unless you've already tried this.

Yep I tried that with the x900s and when I had the APXR I tried everything imaginable, eventually swapping the tongue which made it more bearable but I ultimately had to swap them - with the x90R. That's been the most comfortable skate I've worn in probably 7 or 8 years.

Yep I tried that with the x900s and when I had the APXR I tried everything imaginable, eventually swapping the tongue which made it more bearable but I ultimately had to swap them - with the x90R. That's been the most comfortable skate I've worn in probably 7 or 8 years.

Have you ever thought about a deeper boot? Maybe a Supreme boot would fit you best. If that's the case, maybe Bauer could ship you a 190 instead.

Have you ever thought about a deeper boot? Maybe a Supreme boot would fit you best. If that's the case, maybe Bauer could ship you a 190 instead.

I'm going to go try on a bunch of skates for sure. I have always had the best luck with vapor but I'm willing to try others

I tried everything imaginable, eventually swapping the tongue which made it more bearable but I ultimately had to swap them - with the x90R.

Did you try some 55 flex or similar? I have the same issue with most boots I wear and have used Forsberg pads for many years. A while ago I made up my own version of the 55 flex idea and haven't had any lace bite since and no longer wear any forsberg pads. I made mine out of 3mm thick leather off cuts (leather shops often make belts from this thickness material) and a trip to the shoe repairman for some eyelets. With anti rust eyelets they are rock solid and no durability issues and no lace bite in apx2's. pm me if you want any further info , pictures etc.