Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zorlac

Best/largest hockey shop in Boston?

Need advice on where to go for largest selection in the Boston area.

Am going there next month for my birthday..(seeing the Bruins and Penguins)

....will be taking a cab probably, from Logan to the hockey store, then to the hotel neat TD garden Please advise...

Thanks,

Z

That could be an expensive cab ride depending on the time of day and traffic and where you're headed. And also do you want the 'Best' shop or just the 'largest'?

If you want the 'largest' your best bet is probably Pure Hockey in Braintree or Hockeymonkey in Norwood. They'll have the most in terms of inventory, options, brands, etc.

If you want the 'Best' hockey shops for the most knowledgeable staff, I would suggest TSR in Salem, NH or Zwickers in Bedford, MA. TSR does have a large selection and great amount of Pro Stock stuff if thats your thing, but they also have a great staff if your getting fitted for skates. For Zwickers you're not going to find a better, more knowledgeable staff there. Also if you have to get skates sharpened theres no one better IMO.

Any questions, hit me up bud.

Note; if you're looking at skates then you should be aware that Zwickers is very Bauer centric in that regard with barely any other brand options to put on your feet.

Absolutely none of the large hockey shops will be in any way a cab ride away, unless you want to pay a $50-$60 cab fare. The two largest are probably Pure Hockey in Marlborough (roughly 45 minutes outside the city) or MonkeySports in Norwood (maybe 20 minutes south of the city, but from Logan it might be more convoluted).

Service-wise, I'm a fan of Sports Etc. in Arlington, although they cater a bit more to the goalie crowd and are not a large store by any stretch of the imagination.

Note; if you're looking at skates then you should be aware that Zwickers is very Bauer centric in that regard with barely any other brand options to put on your feet.

You're 100% but they will also order stuff for you to try on. I know its not relevant to a one off trip but I have a friend who swears by Graf and Zwickers, when he needs new skates Zwickers will order a few different models/sizes of Graf's for him to try on, get fitted with.

Absolutely none of the large hockey shops will be in any way a cab ride away, unless you want to pay a $50-$60 cab fare. The two largest are probably Pure Hockey in Marlborough (roughly 45 minutes outside the city) or MonkeySports in Norwood (maybe 20 minutes south of the city, but from Logan it might be more convoluted).

Service-wise, I'm a fan of Sports Etc. in Arlington, although they cater a bit more to the goalie crowd and are not a large store by any stretch of the imagination.

I always forget about Sports Etc. that would be your cheapest cab fare option and you could also take Mass Transit to get there if need be but the selection won't be on par with the other big-box shops.

I always forget about Sports Etc. that would be your cheapest cab fare option and you could also take Mass Transit to get there if need be but the selection won't be on par with the other big-box shops.

It's actually a fairly nice trip on the 77 bus, but that's from Harvard Sq., which doesn't help a guy coming from Logan. And it has a decent selection for being as small as it is. (and the wall of signed sticks from 1992-93, which is just neat).

If MBTA is added to the equation, if he can get to South Station from Logan, he could take the Red Line to Braintree and a taxi to Pure Hockey. Convoluted, but slightly cheaper.

Just wanted a store with lots of options. These days I rarely gat an opportunity to get fitted for pads, pants, or gloves. Would LOVE to try on stuff that I just can't. given my location.

Just wanted a store with lots of options. These days I rarely gat an opportunity to get fitted for pads, pants, or gloves. Would LOVE to try on stuff that I just can't. given my location.

Hockeymonkey in Norwood I would say to take a trip to.

Was in Boston for new year, ended up rented a car and taking a trip to Hockey monkey Norwood, large selection of player and goalie gear. They also have a shooting room for trying out sticks.

Dealt with a couple of guys in there, and everyone was really helpful and seemed pretty knowledgeable in everything i was inquiring about (mainly sticks).

Cant really compare it to any others, as we really have any shops where i am in the UK and didn't visit any others whilst i was out there (did want to go TSR, but will save that for the next trip.

I know a cab is gonna cost a lot, but renting a car, paying 70 a day to park it at the hotel is ridiculous too... Guess the rates go up when the Penguins are in town.

We've got all day on the 23rd of February to check out the stores, have lunch etc... Game is the 24th. Norwood looks like our first stop. Always wanted to have lunch at the fours too...

The closest good hockey store to the Garden and Logan is Pure Hockey in Medford--less than six miles right up 93. Don't do it during rush hour. Also check out the Bruins pro shop; sometimes there are some interesting used sticks from the Bruins.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/TD+Garden,+Legends+Way,+Boston,+MA/Pure+Hockey+%26+ComLax,+70+Salem+St,+Medford,+MA+02155/@42.3928332,-71.1195633,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x89e3708e162d05cb:0x32d335fe5ed797a8!2m2!1d-71.062146!2d42.366198!1m5!1m1!1s0x89e376b7c98d594f:0xc57ed01c0c20506!2m2!1d-71.1066171!2d42.418805

The Bauer Store is in Burlington, which is a bit further north, but might be worth checking out.

https://www.bauer.com/stores/boston

So, we did rent a car and it was well worth it so far... the trip to Norwood was prrfect. Plenty of gear to actually get fitted for. My biggest surprise came when shopping for new pants. I've used x7.0 vapors for years now, and tried on the apx2 figuring this is the right fit, But.. the NEXUS 1000 pant was exactly the fit for me. Roomier legs, with a less tapered fit, and overall traditional style fit me perfectly.  I pulled the trigger on them there, because the staff helped me a great deal. I also found that the apx style of gloves in a 13, fit better than my 14 mx3s.  Overall, a great experience.  It sure does make a difference trying on apparel compared to blindly ordering online.... now, on to TD GARDEN!