Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LunchBox0311

Advice on skates

Great forum guys, I've learned a lot in the past couple weeks reading stuff on here. Anyways, after taking my kids skating a few times over the past few months, I realized, or rediscovered, that I really like skating, and I like hockey, and I want to get back into it at the old and out of shape age of 35. I used to play inline hockey constantly growing up and played ice hockey a bit as well, 20 years ago. So I'm not a total newb to everything, but I'm pretty much a total newb, lol.

So, I decided that since I really enjoy it, Its a great way to get into better shape (I think), and I want to get a decent pair of skates and do more, maybe take an adult skills class or something, and eventually get into a beginner league next season. The issue, is that I live in Wichita Kansas, which is not exactly a hockey hotbed. There is a local rink with a pro shop, and I went there to get fitted for skates, and listen to the sage advice of the professionals there. Unfortunately, what actually happened is I found out that a 7.5 Bauer Supreme fits my foot lengthwise, but was way too narrow. Apparently I have fat stumpy feet. There weren't any other skates for me to try on there, and that's the only game in town. The guy who worked there actually told me to order online, because he didn't have anything.

I've learned enough here to know that skates all fit differently, and you need to try them all on, etc.etc. But I can't do this, at least not without driving many many miles. I would like 2 recommendations from you guys. First, which online place is going to have the best customer service and return policy, because I see myself buying, trying, and returning several times before finding what works. Secondly, what would be a good starting point, or skate, for me. I'm not looking to break the bank, but I want something thats going to be decent for me. I was thinking around $200, but I really don't know what I want or need, so if this is unrealistic, then so be it. I can spend more if its going to be worth it for me.

Thanks in advance guys,

Also, anyone from around my area? Always like meeting new like minded people.

I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but especially considering you're unable to try skates on before you buy them, I'd give the Mako M7 or M8 a shot. I think it's the most likely to be a sure thing than anything else. What I mean by that is... I think the Mako is going to fit the widest range of foot shapes, giving you a bit of a bigger margin of error.

Obviously "go try on as many things as possible and buy what fits" is the best answer here, but having lived in Kansas for a short time I know it's not exactly a hockey hotbed.

Check out icewarehouse for buying online. They have a 25% off sale going right now, and have free return shipping on skates if you're an iWin member (to become a member you buy a cheap IW item - stuff like a water bottle or t-shirt). That should make buying skates online less painful. One thing to note though, is that the Mako HAS to be baked to be able to determine if they fit. I personally couldn't even get them on my feet until they were baked.

Hope that helps.

Given the fact that the Supreme boot is too narrow, I'd take a look at the Bauer Nexus or CCM Tacks lines of skates. These are going to be the widest skates. Additionally, take a look at Total Hockey, Pure Hockey, and Hockey Monkey. I visit these three sites quite often and find deals from time to time. Good luck!

Given the fact that the Supreme boot is too narrow, I'd take a look at the Bauer Nexus or CCM Tacks lines of skates. These are going to be the widest skates. Additionally, take a look at Total Hockey, Pure Hockey, and Hockey Monkey. I visit these three sites quite often and find deals from time to time. Good luck!

Yep - total Hockey is my go to. They will take returns as long as you don't bake them

Or skate in them. So you can order online and see how they fit and return them if they don't work.

Yep - total Hockey is my go to. They will take returns as long as you don't bake them

Or skate in them. So you can order online and see how they fit and return them if they don't work.

I assume they'd take back baked makos since you kind of have to bake them to even get your feet in them.

I assume they'd take back baked makos since you kind of have to bake them to even get your feet in them.

Not sure - I've read that mako has a 30 day fit guarantee even after being baked. So I would think that you can return them. Search on here for the mako thread it's probably in there.

Not sure - I've read that mako has a 30 day fit guarantee even after being baked. So I would think that you can return them. Search on here for the mako thread it's probably in there.

No need, I already have that information. I just wanted to make sure OP did as well.

Maybe I should ask in the Mako thread, but I'm seeing them in wide widths only in whole sizes starting at 8. Would a D width widen out enough for my foot with baking? Sigh, so many questions. Maybe I'm better off taking a road trip and driving someplace that has a good shop.

Man, I really wish I could try stuff on. Or afford to just buy 6 pairs of skates at once, and return the ones I don't like, lol.

Have done the multiple skate purchase, return the loser, for my son. Knew one pair were going to work, was just One100's to 190's. But wanted to see what he thought about the Nexus 8K's. He's been playing for 10+ years and plenty of trial and error, just seeing if something else was "better", they were not. I do the same trial and error with my daughter as well.

I wish we had a shop that carried every skate, every size. I'm always amused by these posts, "go try them on", like it's drive to the shop(even 3-4 hours) and decide what works. People who can just go try everything and anything, at any time, are very fortunate. Even as our shop expands(note, I say shop, not shops), it's not even in the same league, let alone ballpark, as when I walk into Hockey Giant in Anaheim. It's like night and day & I don't know, maybe there are shops that make that shop look small. I consider skates the most difficult, but the same issue goes with protective as well.

I do that with shoes all the time. Usually 5-6 pairs at a time. Love Zappos for their free round trip shipping ;)

Just put it on credit and make sure you send back the rejects before your statement gets generated :)

If you know the 7.5 supreme is the correct length, I would consider ordering them in EE width. That would likely address the width issue for you. While there are other skates that I like more, there is at least a point of comparison there.

Maybe I should ask in the Mako thread, but I'm seeing them in wide widths only in whole sizes starting at 8. Would a D width widen out enough for my foot with baking? Sigh, so many questions. Maybe I'm better off taking a road trip and driving someplace that has a good shop.

Whether a D Mako would widen enough for your foot is impossible to answer without you actually going and having them baked, however; people could make an educated guess if you provided the measurements of your feet - the length from heel to toe and the width of the widest part of your forefoot. That would provide a length to width ratio to work with anyone.

Chadd's suggestion of trying a 7.5EE Supreme is a good one as it should provide enough wide in the forefoot for you, however; make sure that your heel is still adequately locked in with the EE Supreme. Each foot is different, but for me a 7.5D Supreme squeezes my foot like a vice, the EE width is OK (still tight before baking, but felt good when baked at a demo and with broken in demo skates) in the forefoot, but too wide for my heel and the heel area is sloppy. If your heels are also fairly wide then this may not be an issue for you.

OK, well I received the Supremes in a 7.5 EE and wore them around the house for about an hour. The fit is MUCH improved over the standard width ones I tried in the shop, but after about 20 min I can really feel them clamping and squeezing the forefoot uncomfortably, although not overtly painful like rentals and the regular width ones, although the longer I wear them the worse it gets. I don't really know how much better this would get with baking and breaking in, since I really have no idea what I am doing here. They felt great at first, so maybe they will get better? I think they may be a little shallow for me also, based on my research on the forum, as when laced up my foot is kind of sticking out the top and the laces are sort of arched over the tongue and my foot. I am thinking about trying some Nexus skates, since from what I have read they may be a better fit. I thought (briefly) about custom skates, but I have to take care of pesky things like the mortgage and electricity first, stupid adult responsibilities getting in the way of all the fun. :( Anyway, what is the size differential, if you will, between Supreme and Nexus lines. For example, I have read that a regular width Nexus is comparable to an EE Supreme. Should I go with a D width Nexus, or an EE? Or some other option? Thanks guys, for the input.

On another note, I have been going to public skate at least once a week and am getting a lot better, trying to do some of the stuff I see on ITrainHockey's youtube channel without crushing some little kid. Although I really wish they would change directions at the rink, I feel like a NASCAR driver, excellent at turning left, but totally unprepared to turn right, lol.

I haven't baked them, in not sure they will widen enough, and once I do there is no returning them.

Thats kind of what I am asking, should I bake them? Or should I try something else? I did get a bit of heel movement also in them.

Does the boot itself form to the foot, or is it mostly the padding inside? I'm really tempted to just bake these. I really don't want to wait 5 business days for return shipping, a day to process the return, then purchase some different skates and wait another 4 business days for them to get here. How big an issue is numbness in the big toe/second toe?

The boot itself and the padding both form to your foot (within reason).

In my experience baking makes a good fit even better. It will not make a skate that doesn't fit, fit.

Toe numbness and heel movement are both serious issues. I know you're excited about having skates but don't buy something that doesn't fit. I'd try the Nexus or Tacks next. Maybe post some pics of your foot, may help with recommendations.

I think you might want to try the Nexus in a D width. Its gonna be slightly deeper and slightly wider in the forefoot, and have a deeper heel pocket than those supreme EE's. If you go with the EE in Nexus, the heel will be substantially wider than the Supreme. Good luck

In my experience baking makes a good fit even better. It will not make a skate that doesn't fit, fit.

Toe numbness and heel movement are both serious issues. I know you're excited about having skates but don't buy something that doesn't fit. I'd try the Nexus or Tacks next.

Yeah, you are right. I have been thinking about the Tacks and the Nexus. I emailed the closest shop to me, 3 hours away. Not good.

"Jason, We are closing out our Hockey Dept. We have very little left in Adult skates and defiantly NO WIDES."

Hmmm..... Well internet, you win.

Howdy,

How many is many miles? Do you have any friends in that area?

I recently went through a couple pairs of skates starting out, getting progressively more comfortable but still not "right". I decided I was serious enough about this to get out of the entry level skates and went to a 'local' Total Hockey (45 miles away). I went in knowing that I had a wide foot with high arches, figuring I'd need a wide skate. I'd had Easton Stealth 7.5Ds, then CCM Tack 2052 8Ds.

To my utter surprise, it turned out that a CCM Ribcor 8D ended up fitting me best in the store. Never in a million years would I have picked that skate online. The only way it makes sense to me is that maybe I have a foot with a narrow-ish heal, a wider mid foot, and regular size forefoot. I dunno. All I know is that they feel good. I ended up trying on all sorts of different stuff there... Wide Tacks, Supremes, Nexus, RBZ, etc. The Ribcor was the most comfortable though my preconceptions took me a while to get over. It didn't squeeze my midfoot and my heal didn't move around.

Which is all a long way of saying that trying on a bunch of stuff really, really helped me. So if you're 3 or 4 hours away from a shop with a good selection... It might be worth the day to go over there vs. a month of trial and error online. Being able to try them on back to back also meant that I could do direct comparisons.

All that said... Even the skates that hurt my feet the worst when I was skating didn't make parts of my foot go numb or let my heel move around a lot after ten to twenty minutes in the store. Those sound like pretty big problems to me (keeping in mind that I'm a newbie). If you really can't get over to a store with good stock, perhaps you can order six pairs of skates with the understanding that you'll return five of them?

Good luck! I didn't enjoy the "getting skates" process at all. Lots of money involved and for me a ton of uncertainty since all three pairs of skates for me felt fine in the store and I didn't know my feet were going to hurt like hell in them until after I'd skated for a half hour... Which means I couldn't return them.

Mark