Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tedpenguins

Starting a college club team

I'm in the process of recruiting other girls that would be interested in starting a club team at my university with me. I've got a few people that are interested and I'm going to be putting up flyers this next week. Has anyone else ever done anything like this? I want to obviously try and make this process as easy as possible but I want to make sure that this idea goes down the drain because of lack of thought. My university has a men's club team and they've reached out to help me but as much help and more ideas would be awesome. I'm hoping I can get this all started up for this next year. I have to have a minimum of 10 people interested but I'll obviously need about 25 people for the team plus coaches, equipment staff, etc. I've opened it up to every skill level just as long as they are prepared to learn and have a good time. Any ideas?

I know it's a club sport but it doesn't hurt to stop in and see if your university's athletic director has any ideas. I'm sure there is also someone who is in charge of intramural sports (it might be the AD) who could also give you some pointers

When I started intramurals at my college, I went to the rink manager and asked him directly, along with, I believe, the recreational activities director (not the same as the director of varsity athletics, but the guy in charge of general programming). I asked why we didn't have intramural hockey, and if there was ice-time, how could we go about starting it? The rink manager told me to recruit at least 20 people who wanted to play and he'd give us the ice time.

In this case, as you're trying to start a club sport, I'd also go to the student government association, or whoever is in charge of student groups. Those are probably the folks responsible for allocating money. It's kind of a two-pronged thing here. If you have a rink on campus, you should talk to the athletic department and rink manager for use of the facilities, but as you're starting a new club/group, you should also talk to the SGA the same as if you wanted to start, say, a gaming club.

Work out a basic model budget that you can present to the SGA and the athletic department/rink manager. Things might include: uniforms, a coach, a trainer, first aid supplies and training if necessary, travel costs, league fees (some rural schools join adult leagues because it's not practical to compete solely against other schools), referee fees, advertising/recruitment, extra equipment (a spare set of goalie pads and/or loaner gear for new players). Be detailed and be ready to back up why you need [x] thing. Have some fun with it, too: you get to build a team from the ground up, think about what you would want in an ideal situation, and line-item it.

I know this team is in process of doing it right now https://www.facebook.com/WIHatUTAH/?ref=ts&fref=ts Meaning they are less than a year in. I'm sure the manager/GM could be a wealth of knowledge.

Qualify - I don't know who is doing it or how responsive they'd be, but an unsolicited email asking them some questions may be rewarding. Not only answering initial questions, but you may end up having a person/persons to bounce questions/ideas off in the future.