Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fbdog

Need to replace Mission Pure L7 - most similar fit?

I recently took a shot off the toe and cracked my Mission Pure L7 (8EE) boot. I was wondering if anyone had ideas on what would be the most similar skate in terms of fit and performance (Bauer, CCM, Easton etc...)? If I could, I would get another Mission, but seems like that would be unlikely.

Thanks in advance!

Consider Alkali an option. Justin 1933 has posted his ice-ported Alkali boots a couple of times in the past, but the only images I can find currently are from Google's image search index so they're just these small thumbnails, (which are likely to or could at least potentially soon disappear):

1: roller to ice.

2: Could Alkali Compete in the Ice Skate Category?

3: Mission pure fly's--now what?

For info on Alkali overall, there's the monster thread, Alkali Hockey.

People rave about their mold-ability, and they're attractively priced compared to high end ice hockey skates: $399 for the top of the line boot combo (without the magnesium chassis, which I fuzzily recall reading is the difference between the RPD Shift+ and RPD Max+) and $299 for a top quality boot with nylon quarters instead of purlyn. As an added bonus, if a retailer you get them from is cool with making a deal to relieve you of the chassis-bearing-wheel apparatuses like Justin 1933 suggests in one of those threads above, you could be good to go to have your old Pitch3's installed and back on the ice for less.

Edit: tried and tried to get the first image link to work, but it kept failing. Anyway, you can see both in the top 15-results if you Google Image Search "Alkali ice site:modsquadhockey.com".

I'll try to find the image of my current Ice skates. The boot will work in ice and the forward pitch is a bit aggressive. I actually have my pitch holder set at -1. The Alkali skates are not exactly the same as the Mission skates, but are better/more advanced versions of those skates. Since you said you have a EE L7, I would recommend a RPE skate (they are the new line from Alkali).

I keep being on the fence about trying this out. I might take the plunge next season. The increased pitch and reduced toe spring has me excited. Just out of curiosity, how aggressive would the pitch be on a neutral holder like the LS2? Would it be around Mako pitch or even more aggressive?

I haven't skated in Vapors since 1999-2000. I haven't tried on any Bauers since then. I'm afraid if I tried that route, I'd possibly have to go custom to get an E/A as well as probably punching out the heel to get a deeper pocket, then I'd have to soften the top cuff / eyelets a bit--though that could be fixed with homemade extenders. I need a 703 heel, and am sort of just scoping out eventual replacements for my dead Grafs in case I don't like the QC or materials in their newer boots.

I skated in some Flyweights for a bit and they were alright, though they were either too narrow or 1/2-size too small. The Missions I loved were my Proto V's from around '95. I never had them as ice boots though.

Just to update, I ended up going with Bauer Vapor X900 (in size 7D).  Fit is pretty similar for my foot but a lot stiffer boot.  Thanks for all the suggestions.