Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hipster

Daoust 501 Nationals

I just picked up a pair of mint Daoust 501's. I'm 40 yrs old, so I remember when a pair of these (earlier 301 version) with clear Tuuks or Blue Perfecta's was the ultimate set of wheels. A guy on my college team passed up the free skates just to play in his Daoust's. That's loyalty.

I don't even know if I'll ever skate in them, as I already have brand new Pro Tacks and Graf 705's......maybe I'll sell one pair, but the Daoust's are so classic and so rare, I just had to get them....even if its just to give them to someone who knows what they are and appreciates the workmanship and quality.

I had to show you guys, because, well, there just ain't many people who get excited about classic hockey skates, and most of them are here!

Daoust 501 National's

You stole them!!!! Awesome deal.

Thanks. I've actually got a pair of Perfecta blades in my attic that would fit these perfectly if I wanted to go for the full on Gretzky look, but I think my ultimate set up for these would be a pair of Clear Tuuk's. I had a teammate in midgets who had 301's with clear Tuuk's and I always wanted those skates.

Anyone here ever play on the Perfecta blades? They were kinda weird. they would vibrate hard when you stopped. But Gretzky seemed to do OK with them, huh?

I just picked up a pair of mint Daoust 501's. I'm 40 yrs old, so I remember when a pair of these (earlier 301 version) with clear Tuuks or Blue Perfecta's was the ultimate set of wheels. A guy on my college team passed up the free skates just to play in his Daoust's. That's loyalty.

I don't even know if I'll ever skate in them, as I already have brand new Pro Tacks and Graf 705's......maybe I'll sell one pair, but the Daoust's are so classic and so rare, I just had to get them....even if its just to give them to someone who knows what they are and appreciates the workmanship and quality.

I had to show you guys, because, well, there just ain't many people who get excited about classic hockey skates, and most of them are here!

Daoust 501 National's

had them, wore them, loved them. broke one clear Tuuk holder, so put on 1 blue perfecta holder and 1 clear Tuuk holder, how weird that sounds now, the following year, 1987, i went back to Super Tacks with old school tubes...was the only one with tubes in the whole league...

congrats on your acquisition!

later

gb

Congrats on winning these! It's funny, just the other day I typed in Daoust for fun in Ebay and saw those, didn't know a forum member actually bought them! They are great skates, now if you had some clear Tuuks... wow!

I used to have some Daoust skates when I was around 10 or so, don't remember the model though, but they had clear Tuuks and I loved those skates. I remember I even bragged to my teacher about them when my class went skating at the local rink, I asked her something like "Aren't my skates nice looking?" LOL! Too bad I don't have them anymore, even if they don't fit I wish I still had them for the memories.

You stole them!!!!  Awesome deal.

Thanks. I've actually got a pair of Perfecta blades in my attic that would fit these perfectly if I wanted to go for the full on Gretzky look, but I think my ultimate set up for these would be a pair of Clear Tuuk's. I had a teammate in midgets who had 301's with clear Tuuk's and I always wanted those skates.

Anyone here ever play on the Perfecta blades? They were kinda weird. they would vibrate hard when you stopped. But Gretzky seemed to do OK with them, huh?

Didn't Gretz wear 301s?

Actually I went to the Peranis in Sterling Heights and they had a few pairs of brand new 301s.

Yeah, Gretzky wore the 301's, but his were custom stamped with the "99" on the side.

Anyone know more about Daoust history or when they stopped production? Man, Canstar should have kept that brand, even if it was for small runs or custom only.

trust me.. BNH still owns the brand.... they still own a bunch of other well known brand names and continue to renew the trademarks. Have since 1998, hmmm would they be afraid that someone would use them. It will be a travisty to see them flog those brand names as House brands for the various buying groups in the future. cough cough... FLAK!

Off the top of my head, didn't Gary Roberts use Daousts when he was on Carolina and then early on in Toronto, before he switched to Grafs?

Excerpt from the register of the United States Patent and Trademark Office:

Word Mark DAOUST

Goods and Services (CANCELLED) IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: [ boots, sports footwear and clothing; namely, sports jackets, vests, T-shirts, sweatshirts, golf shirts, pants, sweatpants and bermuda shorts ]. FIRST USE: 19501231. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19501231

IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: ice skates, [ roller skates and sports bags for hockey equipment and for tennis equipment ]. FIRST USE: 19501231. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19501231

Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING

Serial Number 74121624

Filing Date December 7, 1990

Current Filing Basis 1A

Original Filing Basis 1A

Published for Opposition October 13, 1992

Change In Registration CHANGE IN REGISTRATION HAS OCCURRED

Registration Number 1744590

Registration Date January 5, 1993

Owner (REGISTRANT) A. LAMBERT INTERNATIONAL INC. CORPORATION CANADA 190 East, Cremazie Boulevard Suite 110 Montreal, Quebec CANADA H2P 1E1

(LAST LISTED OWNER) BAUER INC. CORPORATION BY CHANGE OF NAME, BY ASSIGNMENT, BY ASSIGNMENT, BY MERGER, BY CHANGE OF NAME CANADA 8000 DECARIE BOULEVARD, SUITE 6000 MONTREAL, QUEBEC CANADA H4P 2S4

Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED

Attorney of Record CHRISTIE BATY HEINZE

Type of Mark TRADEMARK

Register PRINCIPAL-2(F)

Affidavit Text PARTIAL SECT 8 (6-YR).

Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Best skates ever, I just can't find them in ogre sizes.

I saw a pair of Gretzky's "99"s in an auction at Leland's. They fetched 8 grand USD. I sure would like to hear Gretzky's opinions on equipment like skates and gloves. He really seemed to have some sound reasoning for what he wore, what curve he used, etc.

I read in an authorized book about him (forgot the actual title, but it was about his hockey career from kid to pro and had quotes/interviews) that he preferred a very stiff stick, somewhat short for his height and we all know he used a near straight blade w/ a low lie for a long time.

I have no facts to back me up but I bet he used a low radius on his steel.

Excerpt from the register of the United States Patent and Trademark Office:

Word Mark    DAOUST

Goods and Services  (CANCELLED) IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: [ boots, sports footwear and clothing; namely, sports jackets, vests, T-shirts, sweatshirts, golf shirts, pants, sweatpants and bermuda shorts ]. FIRST USE: 19501231. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19501231

IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: ice skates, [ roller skates and sports bags for hockey equipment and for tennis equipment ]. FIRST USE: 19501231. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19501231

Mark Drawing Code  (1) TYPED DRAWING

Serial Number  74121624

Filing Date  December 7, 1990

Current Filing Basis  1A

Original Filing Basis  1A

Published for Opposition  October 13, 1992

Change In Registration  CHANGE IN REGISTRATION HAS OCCURRED

Registration Number  1744590

Registration Date  January 5, 1993

Owner  (REGISTRANT) A. LAMBERT INTERNATIONAL INC. CORPORATION CANADA 190 East, Cremazie Boulevard Suite 110 Montreal, Quebec CANADA H2P 1E1

(LAST LISTED OWNER) BAUER INC. CORPORATION BY CHANGE OF NAME, BY ASSIGNMENT, BY ASSIGNMENT, BY MERGER, BY CHANGE OF NAME CANADA 8000 DECARIE BOULEVARD, SUITE 6000 MONTREAL, QUEBEC CANADA H4P 2S4

Assignment Recorded  ASSIGNMENT RECORDED

Attorney of Record  CHRISTIE BATY HEINZE

Type of Mark  TRADEMARK

Register  PRINCIPAL-2(F)

Affidavit Text  PARTIAL SECT 8 (6-YR).

Live/Dead Indicator  LIVE

You searched in the wrong place. Got to do the canadian search. The canadian gov't site is down or I would have searched and posted it. Once its working I'll find the info.

Also you try searching Nike or Bauer in the US because they usually list all the sub-brands that also follow under their rights.

Those 501's are beauties! At one time, Daoust was kicking butt in the skate industry. Late 70's-early 80's we couldn't keep the 301 and 501 in stock, we sold so many! All the big boys in the "Show" wore Daoust- Gretzky, LaFleur, Perrault, Messier, Denis Savard, Mike Bossy, Brian Trottier, and the smartest defenceman in the league: Brad Park.

Here is a blast from the past for any old-timers-- Hey Crow Smith, got any 301 8-D in stock? We called his place in upstate New York all season long for fill-ins.

For less than $55, those skates are beyond a steal. That's grand theft!!

Keep on enjoying the ride!!

The Daoust's just arrived in the mail today. Wow is all I can say. The workmanship on these is so good. And they are as close to New as a used pair of skates can be.

They are a lot heavier than my Pro Tacks or Graf's, but I bought them for coaching so comfort is my main issue, and these are just buttery soft inside. The tongue is just pure quality. I can't believe how top shelf these boots are.

The hockey God's were smiling on me. Its like owning a classic car in perfect condition. I can't wait to skate on them. Try outs and practice can't startt up soon enough.

I'm going to have to take some photos and post them. You guys will appreciate the workmanship and attention to details.

is that Dan Daoust's company? He lives like 5 min. way from me, and I always see him at the arena where my practices are

I guess he could be related to the original owners, but Daoust skates have been around a long time before Dan was an adult. There's a lot of folks named Daoust in Canada, too, so my guess would be no relations.

Dan was a heckuva hockey player, though, and a real example of how toughness and effort can overcome a lack of great size. He had a good career.

Sorry I can't help you with any history on the Daoust skate Company. I'm actually trying to find that out myself. All I know is that they got shuttered by Nike when they bought Canstar, the parent company of Daoust. Their 301 skates were pretty popular with a lot of top pros in the seventies and early eighties.

Its a shame they're not around anymore, because somebody should still be making skates like this. They really are exceptional. You can just see that whoever made them knew about hockey, knew what they were doing and took a lot of pride in their craft.

a while ago i picked up some Daoust 301 nationals on ebay. size 8D, mint. i just wanted to stash them away for nostalgic purposes... they were my first pair of good skates back in '87. i'll post some pics when i get a chance...

The 501s blow the 555s right out of the water, 501s are a much nicer skate. Not that I'm trashing the 555s...

And I hate it when people call them "Doused"! It's "Daa-Ooh". French.