Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hipster

Daoust 501 Nationals

I need to make a correction to the title of my thread. I called these skates "Daoust 501 Nationals", which was a mistake. The tendon guard says "Bi-Structurel" in gold print.

I guess I was making an assumption based on the 301 National.

So I don't know if these are simply "501's" or "501 Structurel's" .

Either way, they are fantastic and I'll get some photos posted as soon as I can.

If you guys have not seen, there is a pair of 301 Nationals in mint condition linked in the sell section. Looking at them motivated me to take some pictures. I'll let the experts here comment on skate construction, but some of the things I'm most impressed with are the tongue construction/ and the overall stitching work. The time, materials and expertise in these probably made them prohibitively expensive for Canstar/Nike....and the new light technology was the death blow.

But if you like "Old School" skates that used to be hand made by craftsmen who knew hockey, they don't make them like this anymore. And damn, are they comfortable. I tried to shrink the photos, but no luck. Enjoy...

Daoust001.jpg

Daoust002.jpg

Daoust006.jpg

Look at all the little stitchwork....and the extra ankle padding stitched in

Daoust008.jpg

The tongues are incredibly thick and the estra strip of leather stitched in eliminates lace bite. I could tie my skates with piano chord and lace bite would not be a problem.

Daoust005.jpg

That says "BI-STRUCTUREL" across the tendon guard....

Daoust004.jpg

Here you can see the oversized length of the tounges...

Daoust003.jpg

I have a beat to hell pair of red/white/blue daouss with clear tuuks.

got any pictures? what size are they? I'm looking for some clear Tuuks.

In the event you are looking to sell the 501's, Please let me know. I know what type of skate they are. I would really appreciate a great pair of skates like that. Thanks.

I had those when I was a kid. My dad got them from a friend. Was a great skate and I wore them until they fell apart. Was cool seeing them again. Thanks for posting pic's

Loved the Daoust's.

Here's my classics. All 3 purchased on ebay brand new, never worn, never sharpened in 2008. I've worn one pair of the Air 90s, the other Air 90s and the 10-90 Red stripes remain un-worn. Debating what to do for my next skate... I've been wanting to invest in a new pair of skates because new skates seem so light compared to these old skates, but I've actually NEVER worn a modern skate. I went from Supreme 4000s which were brand new in probably 96 but are now really old to the brand new ebay air 90s lol (and actually back to the supreme 4000s for now since the air90s have blades which are too low to sharpen now.)

Picture005.jpg

The Mega Air 90s were the last pair of player skates I owned before I came a goalie. I didn't buy another pair of player skates until men's league. That website is unreal with the old pics.

I'd love a history of how Micron and Daoust started and Canstar bought them.

wow. Why don't they make skates like this anymore?

I remember those Pro Microns (the red stripes)

one of my more affluent friends had them. They were the tits.

I've wondered the same thing. Why not revive some of the classics? There are a few really big ones that always show up on "favorite skates" lists:

Daoust 301 and 501

Bauer Supreme 4000 and Composite (5000)

Micron Mega 10-90 and Air 90

CCM 652 Custom Fit Tacks and VakuTacks

Kids may not buy them, but I bet a lot of middle-age and older guys would.

Isn't, reviving a classic, what Bauer is trying to do with the Nexus line?