Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

forbs02

Bake Times

What model skate?

Only skates you should stand (and only stand for 1 minute, no walking) are Curv-based Bauer skates, Ribcor, RBZ and Mako.

Heat without insoles, put the insole you are going to wear in the boot when you lace up.

Just sit, legs at 90º angle is fine.

The boot will have more give than normal since it's heated, so don't crank on the laces. You're going for fit there, not tightness.

JR, what is the benefit of standing for the 1 minute in those listed skates? Wouldn't it possibly widen the skate due to the extra pressure?

JR, what is the benefit of standing for the 1 minute in those listed skates? Wouldn't it possibly widen the skate due to the extra pressure?

Easton states specifically not to stand in makos. Not sure where hes getting this.

EDIT: heres the box instructions from mako 2's (mako 1 are pictured, so they must have the same baking instructions):

http://imgur.com/a/8gIrZ

It really was not that hard to do at home. I absolutely would NOT do it without an oven thermometer. I sat right there watching it and opening and closing the oven door to keep it around 195-200 for about 5 minutes. With a convection oven the 185 probably would have worked just fine but even with flipping the skate halfway through it wasn't getting pliable.

I think opening makes it drop down too much. When I first did mine, I monitored my thermometer for about an hour in the oven, and simulated opening and closing the door when I would be putting the skates in. Right when mine kicks on, it might go a few degrees above what its set at, but after a min or two it evens out to the right temp, with the very end being a little lower than it should be. I had to take into consideration that my thermometer has a delay of about a min or so as well.
Every oven varies, and this definitely doesn't apply to all, but test yours out and see what works.
I usually turn my oven on and let it stay on for at least 30 mins before baking. Then I wait for the heat to kick on, and right at the end of the heating I pop them in as fast as I can. If I do it quick enough, the oven wont kick on for the duration of the bake.

I just bought a pair of APX2 online and am baking them at home (thanks to contributors of this thread for providing the instructions). I pre-heated oven to 200 and baked each skate separately for 3 minutes, followed by 15 minutes of wearing. For those interested, here's a link to the baking instructions included in the box.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz80/AaronEtshokin/2015-01-22%2018.40.57_zpskiaddwye.jpg

I just bought a pair of APX2 online and am baking them at home (thanks to contributors of this thread for providing the instructions). I pre-heated oven to 200 and baked each skate separately for 3 minutes, followed by 15 minutes of wearing. For those interested, here's a link to the baking instructions included in the box.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz80/AaronEtshokin/2015-01-22%2018.40.57_zpskiaddwye.jpg

FWIW, I just bought some APX2 and despite that the LHS said, I heated them with a heat gun and clamped at various places to form them better to my feet. I did a little research on the Propex site (the supplier of Curv composite to Bauer) and felt like taking the risk after reading up on the properties of Curv.

Worked like a champ.

I recently acquired a new pair of Supreme 6000's (circa 2005). I've read in this thread that the 8090 had a bake time of 3 minutes while the 5090 had a bake time of 8 minutes. Can anyone advise the correct bake time for the 6000's?

CCM RBZ, TACKS, RIBCOR 

Heat Moldable models are

RBZ-80 and higher,

Tacks 5092 and higher,

Ribcor 46K and higher

JetSpeed 280 and higher.

Preheat oven to 220F

According to CCM instructions, skates should be heated one at a time. Heating element should not be directly on the back tendon

Heat skates for a maximum of 3.5m

Put on the heated skates immediately after heating

Tie the skates to a normal tightness, do not over tighten.

You must remain seated for 10 minutes with your knees at 90 degrees angle.

Remove skates and let them rest for a minimum of 12 hours

Enjoy.

There is a post from Anjin-san about baking older Graf Supra 7xx skates. It would apply to any CP93 skates

here is the copy/paste

GRAF Retailer Skate Heating Instructions

ALL GRAF skates contain thermo-formable materials, but heating times may vary by model.

The recommended heating cycles of GRAF skates are as follows:

1. G9035 Junior: Maximum 1 minute in a skate oven that is pre-heated to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. G9035/G8035 Senior: Maximum 3 minutes in a skate oven that is pre-heated to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. All other GRAF models: Maximum 3 minutes in a skate oven that is pre-heated to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
*Remember to remove the footbeds before heating the skate

Boots must be molded in a non-weighted position (do not stand during the molding process). Please wait at least 5 hours to allow for complete cooling. Skating while the boot remains heated will cause the boot to lose its form.

GRAF skates should not be heated at home or in a conventional oven. Improper heating will void any warranty on your GRAF skates.
If you have any questions, please contact customerservice@grafcanada.com before heat molding your GRAF skates.

Bauer MX3, baked them two times, 10 minutes each time. The first time they didn't form well enough but after the second time they felt perfect. Still trying to figure out what flex piece to use for the tongue though. 

25 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

Bauer MX3, baked them two times, 10 minutes each time. The first time they didn't form well enough but after the second time they felt perfect. Still trying to figure out what flex piece to use for the tongue though. 

Wow, I thought the bake time for MX3's was 3 minutes. 10 seems like a long time. How are they holding up?

19 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

yikes!  10 minutes...

Baking instruction for baking Graf PeakSpeed skates (PK7700, PK4400, PK3300, PK2200, PK1100)

This is form Vaughn Hockey who is now official Graf Skates representation in USA and Canada.

Skates should be heated to no more than 160 degrees F.  for 5 minutes skates should only be heated in a skate type oven household ovens are not typically convection and the large space can cause hot or cold spots that can cause the heat molding process to not get done correctly.  When putting on a heated skate, the heel needs to be kicked back as far as possible and the laces only pulled snug not tight when boot is warm it is possible to tear out eyelets as the materials are softened especially the top two eyelets.   If the skates were not fitted at a dealer check size first with the toes pushed fully forward and just touching the inside of the toe cap you should have about 6 mm or ¼ behind the heel.   Bigger than this and the skate will never fit correctly even if heated there will be too much negative space inside the boot allowing the foot to move around.  If you are trying to heat the skates at home my advice is to not do it, just wear the skates and allow them to break in naturally, or if you still want to heat them up go to a lower temperature of 130 F  just to ensure they are not overheated.   Thanks

On 7/19/2016 at 11:46 AM, Zorlac said:

yikes!  10 minutes...

It really varies on the skate shop and the oven they use. Also, every pair of skates, even from the same manufacturer and model are a bit different from one to the next as there are always inconsistencies and variable factors such as the size of skate, the oven used, the age of the oven, and such. The shop I went to had an older skate  oven and we baked them the first time for 4 minutes. The skates came out feeling slightly warm but didn't really feel any different from before the bake. So total time was 10 minutes, 4 min the first time and 6 min the second time. Sorry for the confusion. 

On 9/15/2016 at 0:17 AM, Kgbeast said:

Baking instruction for baking Graf PeakSpeed skates (PK7700, PK4400, PK3300, PK2200, PK1100)

This is form Vaughn Hockey who is now official Graf Skates representation in USA and Canada.

Is there a set time and temp for the G75? I will have to do it at home. The nearest LHS is located about 2k miles away, and the last time I was there, they didnt even have sticks to sell, let alone a skate oven.

On 9/19/2016 at 4:50 PM, fatwabbit said:

Is there a set time and temp for the G75? I will have to do it at home. The nearest LHS is located about 2k miles away, and the last time I was there, they didnt even have sticks to sell, let alone a skate oven.

Baking instructions on G75 are the same as CP93 skates and MCI line (G3035-G9035) and today's Supra line Gx35 which is 200F-212F for 3 to 4 minutes in the air-circulating oven. Cooling time is 20 minutes at least. Time before you put any significant stress is 8 hours, but more time is safer. (this instructions are not valid for PeakSpeed, PeakSpeed baking temp is 160F for 4-5 minutes)

I have found this video that shows how to fit skates. I think this is pretty good. Also at about 3-minutes mark, they have a machine that does "pressure" fitting. I guess this is what is needed to make MCI skates such as G3035-9035 to fit narrower feet. 

22 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

One note for in-home baking is to use a digital thermometer  (cooking thermometer with probe on the wire will do beautifully). You also want to add a fan to steer the air inside the oven during the baking.  A small cheap desk fan or a 5-6 inch equipment cooling fan or two should be good. 200F is not enough to melt plastic or electric wires, but obviously keep the process under observation.

I've got an oven that has a fan force option, that seems to circulate the air around a fair bit.

18 minutes ago, fatwabbit said:

I've got an oven that has a fan force option, that seems to circulate the air around a fair bit.

That should be good then

Did the house bake today, no real hot spots on the sides of the foot or heel. After sitting in the same spot for some time and letting the skates cool, I unlaced the skates and took them off. Had a bit of difficulty due to the heel lock, and hoping that the G75 works for me.

8 hours ago, fatwabbit said:

Did the house bake today, no real hot spots on the sides of the foot or heel. After sitting in the same spot for some time and letting the skates cool, I unlaced the skates and took them off. Had a bit of difficulty due to the heel lock, and hoping that the G75 works for me.

Is the heel too tight or too loose?

Too tight is a bit of a problem, but you can follow Vet88 instructions on how to stretch a boot using from what he says $20 of supplies. If it is too wide, perhaps you could add heel inserts (search the net). Also, you can try rebaking the skates and use a large c-clamp to squeeze the boot just below the ankle bones. If you do that, do something to pad the ends of the clamp so it does not leave indents on the skate. Perhaps something like thick rubber or felt, or a rug of some kind. 

Neither. I think its locking my heels in properly. I've never been 'properly' measured over the years, and have been dabbling with sizing etc to get the right fit for my feet. The "LHS" that I went to some time ago didnt really tell me much, except that I should be a 8.5E width in skate. E, not EE. I dont know of any that make them in E width.

I did go with a W for the G75, and when I first tried them on without a bake, they didnt feel really that much different from the other skates that I've used. I think I just barely passed the pencil test without the bake. After the bake though, I felt the boot really holding onto my feet, and the heel really seemed to lock in. I added some powerfoot inserts at the front to remove some of the negative space, and so far its been feeling good. I'll only know for sure once I get them on the ice, which is hopefully tomorrow or it'll have to be next week.

On 9/19/2016 at 8:47 PM, Kgbeast said:

I have found this video that shows how to fit skates. I think this is pretty good. Also at about 3-minutes mark, they have a 15 YEAR OLD machine that does "pressure" fitting. 

Those Tacks machines were awesome. Wish they lasted, I can't believe someone still has a functioning model. Ours got a hole in the bladder in year two.