Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovalchuk71

Overdrive Blades

i'm a beer leaguer and I have them. Got new skates back in Nov. and figured I would give them a shot. Honestly, I don't even notice them when I play, its hard to tell if i'm grabbing with them or my actual blade when i slide.

I have used them in the past. I don't have them on my new skates yet, but I do intend to add a set. I just wanted to try playing without them again for a while.

I have used overdrives for about the last 5 years. I've never had a problem with the refs in beer league play. They do work even though you don't feel them while you are using them. As soon as you stop using them you realize how much of a difference they really make. They allow you to hold a much deeper stance, assist in moving across the crease while in the butterly and the biggest advantage, keep you from blowing out a skate. Nothing worse for us old beer leaguers than having a cowling hit the ice and having your skate blow out while you are in a crouch. Strained MCL's and pulled groins put a damper on all the fun in an awful hurry. If you've ever experienced it you know what I'm talking about. Overdrives don't offer a huge advantage but for the small investment they are definitely worth it. That's my 2 cents anyway...

I have used them in the past. I don't have them on my new skates yet, but I do intend to add a set. I just wanted to try playing without them again for a while.

I have used overdrives for about the last 5 years. I've never had a problem with the refs in beer league play. They do work even though you don't feel them while you are using them. As soon as you stop using them you realize how much of a difference they really make. They allow you to hold a much deeper stance, assist in moving across the crease while in the butterly and the biggest advantage, keep you from blowing out a skate. Nothing worse for us old beer leaguers than having a cowling hit the ice and having your skate blow out while you are in a crouch. Strained MCL's and pulled groins put a damper on all the fun in an awful hurry. If you've ever experienced it you know what I'm talking about. Overdrives don't offer a huge advantage but for the small investment they are definitely worth it. That's my 2 cents anyway...

im always blowing a skate out. lol

but me thinks thats the problem with being trained using the stand up style and then becoming a full on butterfly goaltender.

since I don't have the money to use them when, then switch skates when the refs notice, I'd just go with regular skates.

You dont have to get new skates you just take them off, it will take like 2 seconds with the right tools

most excellent. also, can you really see them just by looking? Looking at Netminder32's pics, I don't know how the refs could catch you, except when they are looking for it. Kinda weird...a ref trying to see the bottom of your skates :D

On the overdrive site, I saw a bunch of places you can order them from. one of them happens to be >1 hour from my house. Lucky me! But, no sites that I know of. One of the stores had a site, but you couldn't order online.

This is the newest thread I found on the subject.

Checking today's Frozen Moment, it appears Bryzgalov is wearing Overdrives on his skates.

I'm no goalie guy, but I could have sworn these were still illegal, and I have no clue what skates he's wearing, they look like player hybrids.

FrozenMoment-031708.jpg (my archived picture)

http://cdn.nhl.com/images/upload/2008/03/F...ment-031708.jpg (the photo on the site)

Those are just Bauer 7000s in black cowlings - nothing fancy.

I think that's just snow buildup, but I could be wrong. I always end up with a ton of snow on that exact spot - which is probably why OD blades are installed there. Either way, yeah, they're still considered a 'contrivance' and illegal in almost all professional leagues (with the exception of the SPHL, where anything goes...).

The idea behind OverDrive is utter genius. Most of the serious senior-level goalies I know (among whom I rarely count myself) use them, if only for injury-prevention. Slipping out on a hard push can blow anything from your ankle to your hip, and at the very least, OD blades prevent it from becoming a serious injury.

Looked like a strip of metal with a couple screws in it, but I'm no goaler, so what do I know :P

Thanks for the skate ID.

Always interesting to see closeups of the goalie gear, too often the face is all we see.

Part of the problem is that the OD blades' holes overlap with two or three (can't recall exactly) rivets on the Bauer cowling, so technically, those 'heads' could be normal Bauer rivets or ODB machine screws.

Yeah, it's nice to see the close-ups. Bryzgalov has some sweet V3s. :)

I used them when I played in my first year of junior (2002), it was around this time when they were getting a lot of bad press from bettman and co. When I was using them, they were working out great until i went to do a backside push and caught the OD in a rutt and dislocated my ankle. I immediatly took them off and couldn't be happier. I just couldn't trust them for my style... I tend to play a lot like Khabby

I never felt a need to use them. I was on the verge of getting a set way back in HS, but the senior goalie on my team at the time had his removed and he told me they really didn't make a difference so I decided to save some money.

I use a fairly sharp edge (3/8") and I feel like I get more than enough push.

Have never tired them but as I'm consider a old timer I'll give them some thought for no other reason that avoiding a blowout... been there done that and could do without doing that again.

Biggest concern I have is once you get used to them and then play without them having your game messed up.

I wouldn't worry about them messing up your game.

I've known a half dozen guys who used ODB's strictly to rehab from leg issues (hip, knee, ankle). They're all relatively serious goalies (Ontario senior A, minor/Euro pro), and though they all had to go through a short period of adjustment, they could all name at least a couple of times when the ODB's had saved them from a major relapse.

Two of them (the older guys) have kept using the blades as injury prevention; the others recovered enough that they wanted to get 'back to normal', which I guess is the literal goal of any rehabilitation. None of them had any adjustment period taking the blades off. The reason is pretty simple: for most people, the ODB's only engage in extreme situations, like a blown edge or a hyperextension. Sure, you can change your game to rely on them for performance, but that's where their benefits become dubious, IMO.

I look at the ODB's mainly as insurance. If you think you're high-risk, it's silly not to have it.