Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovalchuk71

Overdrive Blades

i'm just starting to play goalie, but i've had a knee injury in the past. These sound like a good idea and since i'm only playing beer league, they should be find. But my question is where can I buy them??? I've never seen them in any hockey store.

Part of the problem is that the OD blades' holes overlap with two or three (can't recall exactly) rivets on the Bauer cowling, so technically, those 'heads' could be normal Bauer rivets or ODB machine screws.

Yeah, it's nice to see the close-ups. Bryzgalov has some sweet V3s. :)

i just got a pair of Grafs and there is a cut out slot specially for them. kind of silly

Ah, that's not actually for OD's - that slot is for the Graf OD knock-off that they used to sell here (before John McLeod threatened to enforce his patent) and still sell in Europe (under their own patent, IIRC).

Put some OD's on my 7000's...finally got to use them for the first time last night...I like them a LOT..didn't work too much on using them last night, but in warmups they were a nice add on. Will definitely be leaving them on, and work on incorporating them into my game.

I've never ever used them. Though I've been accused of using them by others. They're cheaters. Plain and simple. No respectable goalie should even consider using them. Booo to the manufacturer! Boo I say! :P

Posted this in the "Biggest Busts" section under Ice Hockey Equipment, even though they sound like quite the invention, but here is an article detailing the Overdrive blades and the NHL's ruling on them. From the inventor himself...

http://www.cariboo.bc.ca/news/Past02Mar25/...overdriveD.html

Gee, the guy who invents them believes in the product and puts down the people who ban them. I thought Hockey Canada banned them and I know USA Hockey banned them as well. Outside of pickup hockey and unsanctioned beer leagues, there isn't much market left.

I've been using them for about the past five years. I use them as injury prevention as I've already had one bad groin pull from a slip out when I was going one way, and stopped to make my push back across the net on a quick pass. I also have a bad knee that used to give me fits the next day after a game. No more pain in the knee since I put the overdrive blades on and no more pulled groins.

I don't notice them when I'm in the butterfly and I've never actually incorporated them into that part of my game. Sure I've tried a few butterfly slides in warm ups, but I don't find they give me the push like I get from putting the skate blade on the ice. I also don't have them sticking out far enough from the cowling to give me any kind of advantage for doing a butterfly slide. At the same time the OD blade hits the ice, about half of my skate blade is on the ice anyway.

All in all, they're a great product which I use strictly for injury prevention.

For those that call them "cheaters"....get a grip. They are not illegal in most leagues in Canada(not sure about the US) and therefore are not "cheaters" in any league I have or will play in. The Canadian Hockey Association(CHA) has actually put them in their rulebook as something that is allowed for goalies.

A memo with a ruling about Overdrive blades says this:

"After reviewing the Overdrive Blade

The Risk and Safety Management Committee had no direct concerns with this item.

The Equipment Review Committee had no concerns with this item or similar protective equipment.

Therefore, the Equipment Review Committee sees no need to ban the equipment."