Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sniper44

pro's shiny helmets

i was watching hockey and noticed all the helmets are very shiny. is there some kind of polish they use to buff them, or is it just the way that the light reflects off of them? i'm not worried about my helmet being dull or anyhting, it would be interesting to know

it's probably just the light, it's very bright on the ice in a pro arena(I say this being that the only pro arena's ice i've been on was at st pete times forum).

Some European leagues do have shiny helmets...but those are given to the leading scorer I believe. Joe Thornton had one that had flames on it, it was pretty sick.

Plus most of the helmets are new and unscratched.

Not true. As mentioned above, its the lighting. They are sometimes wiped down with a normal rag.

Players don't shine their helmet why would they have time to shine their helmet when they got stuff to do. Probably just the light thats shines on it .

all the refs helmet are black and shinny lol never a darn scratch. Players don't shine their helmet why would they have time to shine their helmet when they got stuff to do. Probably just the light thats shines on it try it on your helmet get your helmet bring to somewhere thats very bright put it right by the light and see if it shines!! lol

Do you always speak on things that you have the slightest clue about? First Vapor skates, and now this?

I guess that dude that hangs out at the end of the bench by the sticks during games is just paid to look pretty. :blink:

Think someone in the board a while back made their helmet nice and shiny by using some Armour-All on it.

I can see armourall working...as well as baby oil....

But the pros just get new helmets. As one previously stated, most players and equipment folks don't have the time to buff helmets when they have to deal with skates, sticks, etc.

The head equipment man has grunts working for him. They would be the ones to polish and clean up helmets. I am sure this is done in the NHL as your helmet and your skates are your two most important pieces of equipment. They both have to be maintained and in top condition. I am friends with the head equipment man for the New York Giants in the NFL. His assistants are constantly working on the helmets with polishing, replacing the masks regularly in season, and the logo decals on the helmets.

The head equipment man has grunts working for him. They would be the ones to polish and clean up helmets. I am sure this is done in the NHL as your helmet and your skates are your two most important pieces of equipment. They both have to be maintained and in top condition. I am friends with the head equipment man for the New York Giants in the NFL. His assistants are constantly working on the helmets with polishing, replacing the masks regularly in season, and the logo decals on the helmets.

Wait a minute.

You are comparing apples to oranges here. Most hockey helmets are made of ABS plastic, which is durable, light, and flexible with either vinyl nitrile or expanded polypropylene lining. The color of the helmet is achieved through injection of dyes into the plastic before casting.

This makes for a tough helmet...but nowhere NEAR the same as a football helmet.

Football helmets...however....are made of a thermoplastic called polycarbonate alloy. The density of a football helmet thermoplastic is MUCH higher than a hockey helmet. You just can't "flex" a football helmet like a hockey helmet. It is also one solid cast, versus multiple pieces for a hockey helmet. Polycarbonate alloys can also be painted and can have applied adhesives...without affecting the properties of the plastic. In fact, there are manufacturer's specifications for reconditioning football helmets, which include sand blasting to remove paint. Picture that for a hockey helmet...most companies void the warranty if you apply a sticker to a hockey helmet.

So yes, I agree that buffing and polishing football helmets is a norm...the argument here is that we are not talking about football helmets. It is not an equal comparison.

it's the lighting. Take your digital camera and turn the flash on. Now take a picture and look at how the light reflects off the helmet. Now go down to ice level at a pro arena and look up. It's REALLY bright!

Come on guys 1 + 1 = 2

I'm sure there are ways to make the helmet more "shiney" but what's the point? Keep your helmet clean and don't throw it around and it will be just as shiney.

A few refs I know (not in the nhl, in HS and college) use a basic shoe shine cloth to rub down the helmet. they put a little shoe shine on it and just rub it on, gives it a nice shine.

Wait a minute.

You are comparing apples to oranges here. Most hockey helmets are made of ABS plastic, which is durable, light, and flexible with either vinyl nitrile or expanded polypropylene lining. The color of the helmet is achieved through injection of dyes into the plastic before casting.

This makes for a tough helmet...but nowhere NEAR the same as a football helmet.

Football helmets...however....are made of a thermoplastic called polycarbonate alloy. The density of a football helmet thermoplastic is MUCH higher than a hockey helmet. You just can't "flex" a football helmet like a hockey helmet. It is also one solid cast, versus multiple pieces for a hockey helmet. Polycarbonate alloys can also be painted and can have applied adhesives...without affecting the properties of the plastic. In fact, there are manufacturer's specifications for reconditioning football helmets, which include sand blasting to remove paint. Picture that for a hockey helmet...most companies void the warranty if you apply a sticker to a hockey helmet.

So yes, I agree that buffing and polishing football helmets is a norm...the argument here is that we are not talking about football helmets. It is not an equal comparison.

I wasn't exactly comparing apples to oranges. I have been working in the sporting goods industry since 1978. I have sold Riddell and Bike football helmets from 1980 through 2000. I have sold hockey helmets since 1978 through to yesterday and into the future. I am familiar with the differences between the two helmets. Football helmets are much higher maintenance than hockey helmets for college and professional sports. It only makes sense given the impact of collisions in football with the head against those in hockey. I was not making an argument or comparison from hockey helmets to football helmets. My statement has to do with general maintenance on the helmets of each respective sport. Equipment managers maintain helmets just at different levels given the sport the helmet is used in.

DarkStar....I would not question your experience. You have been in this industry for quite some time. I just don't see the financial benefits of helmet buffing/shining vs replacement to a professional sports team in hockey. When you calculate the wage of people working on getting a helmet glossy vs the cost to procure a new one, it just makes sense to buy as the amount of collisions and head contact is substantially lower, thus reducing the amount of external wear to a helmet. When you take into account the fact that the choice of a helmet at the pro level is a combination of personal choice and manufacturer sponsorship, the cost would seem to be lower than retail. Mind you, I do not know about the types of discounts that a professional hockey team would receive from any given manufacturer, but it would make sense that bulk ordering as well as sponsorship would get the price down.

We agree! They let the grunts buff the helmets on off days to give them something to do! JK,, take it ez...

Has anyone told you from experience what they use to buff them?

I don't think I've ever shined my helmet in my life.

[iNNUENDO ALERT!!!!!!]"...shined your helmet?"[/iNNUENDO ALERT!!!!!!]

i was watching hockey and noticed all the helmets are very shiny. is there some kind of polish they use to buff them, or is it just the way that the light reflects off of them? i'm not worried about my helmet being dull or anyhting, it would be interesting to know

Keep in mind that a hockey helmet is not really supposed to be used after it takes a major blow or impact. It is very reasonable to believe that guys are using new helmets a lot of the time. That could account for some of the sheen.

Do you think Kaberle is coming back in the same helmet he was wearing when his head crashed into the boards....I doubt it.