Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fedorov#91

The Smartphone Thread

I went shopping for phones two weeks ago as I needed something with better battery life. I looked at Windows Phone hard - looked at the Titan II as the Lumia wasn't out yet. Just couldn't see myself committing to the OS - just felt it was webOS all over again in terms of failure to get traction. Walked out with an iPhone 4S.

Will still use webOS as I still have a HP Veer.

How has iOS been so far?

The phone is great. No lag, obviously plenty of apps, hardware is rock-solid. I normally don't use phone cases, and despite the fragility of the iPhone, it's much too nice to put in a case.

iOS on the other hand...it does a lot of things well however a few things leave me scratching my head, namely the keyboard and special characters, multiple steps to enable wi-fi/bluetooth, the "multitasking" - essentially I miss webOS in terms of those things and how it handled it.

The other things that swayed me; resell value, support (biggest reason why I didn't do Android, I don't want a phone that won't receive updates down the road, Apple still supports down to 3GS) and AppleCare+ is a great insurance option ($99 for two years, two accidental claims are allowed at a $50 deductible. Normal smartphone insurance is like $9 a month which equates to $220 or so for two years, and deductibles at $100.)

I just upgraded to the HTC ReZound, it was on sale last week for 50 on VZW.com and I couldn't resist. I sold my Droid Incredible 2 for 150.00 so I netted a nice little profit. I could also sell the Ibeats for about 60 but I like them too much. I gotta say that LTE is rock solid where I'm at and the phone is plenty fast for what I ask it to do. Stil haven't figured out how to log into MSH from it though. And no I don't want to use tapatalk ;)

Then don't use Tapatalk.

I think there's an issue with the Android browser in terms of that...go switch out of the mobile skin by clicking the full version then log in that way. After that, you can switch back into mobile skin.

Anyone have either the Lumia 900 or HTC Titan II? Considering trying a windows phone as my phone is going haywire and don't think it will make it till summer or fall for newer android releases.

Now I'm glad I didn't buy a Windows Phone. There won't be an upgrade path from Mango to Windows 8 Apollo.

http://www.theverge....ollo-no-upgrade

My guess is a late june/early july launch.

Also, any who gets any type of smartphone had better buy the insurance. The only piece of tech that you literally carry around all the time, constantly taking out and putting away again. Screens busted? Oh we'll send you a new one.

Gotta be crazy not to get it.

Holy crap...in the last week or so...my battery life (which was never great) has taken a turn for the worse. My phone was fully charged last night. minimal use this morning....and I'm at 48% battery.

I haven't added anything new (app wise) that would be running in tht background. I bet I end up charging it before I leave work....then again overnight.....3 chrages in 24 hours seems excessive (with the amount I use it....I'm not a 24/7 text/surfing phone guy).

The phone is not even a year old...I really hope I'm not looking at a new battery already.

Have you tried one of the battery maintenance apps? I know that some people have suggested they don't do anything, but for $1.99 it would be worth seeing whether they actually can improve performance.

Have you tried one of the battery maintenance apps? I know that some people have suggested they don't do anything, but for $1.99 it would be worth seeing whether they actually can improve performance.

I've been using Juice Defender since I got the phone.

Has there been a release date rumored for the iPhone 5 yet? I'm due for an upgrade and debating about whether to get the 4s (from the 4) or wait for the 5.

Has there been a release date rumored for the iPhone 5 yet? I'm due for an upgrade and debating about whether to get the 4s (from the 4) or wait for the 5.

I read something today about the 4S only being halfway through it's life cycle.

From everything I've read, it would probably be in October. I have a 3S and will wait until then, because it will likely have 4G capability

The new iPhone screens will measure 4 inches from corner to corner, one source said. That would represent a roughly 30 percent increase in viewing area, assuming Apple keeps other dimensions proportional. Apple has used a 3.5-inch screen since introducing the iPhone in 2007.

I just read this in an article tonight. What am I missing in the math, because that sounds like it would be slightly more than a 14 percent increase?

Don't you need the aspect ratios, or the length and width, to work that out?

EDIT:

After a little web homework, I find the aspect ratio is 3:2.

Applying the Pythagorean theorem and this aspect ratio, I get sides of 1.96" and 2.94" for the 3.5" diagonal screen, and sides of 2.22" and 3.33" for the 4" screen. The increase in area I'm getting is about 28%.

Remember that you're getting an increase in length and width, for your diagonal increase, adding additional strips of area in each dimension.

From everything I've read, it would probably be in October. I have a 3S and will wait until then, because it will likely have 4G capability

If it's going to have 4G capacity than I'll definitely wait. I had heard conflicting things regarding 4G on it.

Nobody knows for sure, but that seems to be the prevailing rumor.

Don't you need the aspect ratios, or the length and width, to work that out?

EDIT:

After a little web homework, I find the aspect ratio is 3:2.

Applying the Pythagorean theorem and this aspect ratio, I get sides of 1.96" and 2.94" for the 3.5" diagonal screen, and sides of 2.22" and 3.33" for the 4" screen. The increase in area I'm getting is about 28%.

Remember that you're getting an increase in length and width, for your diagonal increase, adding additional strips of area in each dimension.

Thanks. I was assuming that the area would match the increase of the diagonal, but you're right that the increase would occur in both directions.

If it's going to have 4G capacity than I'll definitely wait. I had heard conflicting things regarding 4G on it.

I just got home from California. I had my iPhone 4S with me. I found it odd that in Canada, I'm 3G but in Anaheim on AT&T I could enable 4G on the 4S. Is this normal?

Mike

I just got home from California. I had my iPhone 4S with me. I found it odd that in Canada, I'm 3G but in Anaheim on AT&T I could enable 4G on the 4S. Is this normal?

Mike

That was HSPA+, what AT&T initially called 4g.