Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blitz

Which Blade Curve For High Slap Shots & High Wrist Shots?

I use an iginla actually and I have no problems raising my shots...

Blitz, what curve are you using right now?

I went to the store, had to buy a stick that day. Originally wanted a Gaborik but they didn't have that curve for the stick I wanted. Having done absolutely zero research about the curves before buying it, I decided to go with what "looked" fine. I choose the Iginla. I'm not very happy with it. I'll have an easier time keeping my shots down with a Drury than I will with getting my shots up with an Iginla.

Back when I played as a kid I didn't realize there were all these classifications for blades. When I rejoined hockey a month or so ago after years and years of hiatus, I was overwhelmed. Maybe I didn't pay attention as a kid what I was actually buying.

Thanks for your help, guys. Greatly appreciated. I think I'm going for the Drury.

I think you should be able to roof it regardless of the curve you use.

I always thought a real open face made it easier (it does affect in a way) I've always prefered a lidstrom-ish curve so that I could roof the puck, but lately switch to a really close faced curve, and still able to roof the puck from the top of the crease.

I have a lot of different curves, I'm very good with adjusting between them. I can roof the puck with an Iginla, no problem. I can roof the puck with a Drury, no problem. You're not going to be able to roof pucks without practice and using a curve as a crutch, in the end, is only going to hurt your game.

That Spezza curve looks gorgeous, I just wish they made a tapered blade! The RM9 75 flex felt great though, especially for $99.

I bought a few Forsberg wood blades and opened them up just a bit. They were probably only curved 1/4" if that, almost perfectly straight. It's been the most accurate blade I've used and I can still put it over the crossbar from the top of the crease (need to fix that!).

That Spezza curve looks gorgeous, I just wish they made a tapered blade! The RM9 75 flex felt great though, especially for $99.

I bought a few Forsberg wood blades and opened them up just a bit. They were probably only curved 1/4" if that, almost perfectly straight. It's been the most accurate blade I've used and I can still put it over the crossbar from the top of the crease (need to fix that!).

That pretty much is the Spezza curve - a Fors/Mod with some loft - it is the best of both worlds, IMHO. I am using the Bouchard more and more now, though - love it...it's almost like a Fors/Mod for D-men, if that makes any sense.

That pretty much is the Spezza curve - a Fors/Mod with some loft - it is the best of both worlds, IMHO. I am using the Bouchard more and more now, though - love it...it's almost like a Fors/Mod for D-men, if that makes any sense.

Have you seen the new Bouchard curve? I went to my LHS which has all the new stuff in, and it almost looks like a mid curve...mine is dead straight with a kink at the heel and a bit open the whole way. The new one almost looks a bit like a mild Sakic...very ugly.

I've taken to buying wood Forsbergs and twisting them open a bit in the middle, kind of like the loft on a Roenick.

Has the Spezza changed? I have a few Axions that are very nearly Drury clones.

Obe, if you ever make it down to Richfield arena, check out the hockey shop there. They've got every Sher-wood thing you'd ever want.

The Spezza looks like a Drury with maybe half the loft, maybe even less. I'm thinking about bringing a camera there today to take some pics of the curves since they look different than their website. Weird looks from the guy who works there aside.

i gotta recommend the forsberg. it's a nice shallow curve that's good for learning technique. like mentioned earlier, you don't need to worry about getting it up high as much as you need accuracy. you have to hit every part of the net. also, there is very little need for a high slapshot. keep that thing on the ice and create some rebounds.

curve doesn't make a big difference, its just a little tweak. height of the shot comes from proper flex and follow through. learn the technique first, and practice practice. then after a few months, after you have the technique down, if you're still having trouble hitting the top corners, possibly try a sakic.

if you're looking for an ops, try the synergy 300 or 350. they're fairly cheap and have a pretty soft face for taking passes, if you're not used to an ops.

The consensus on technique is sooo true. A few years ago I tried to cheat with the Lidstrom curve, and it was a complete disaster. Control went out the window...all I got out of it was a high shot. Couldn't keep the puck low or stick handle worth a crap.

I use the P88 and the Thorton now...and I love them. The Thorton has a little more curve to it...but I really like the square toe for the drags...can't wait until the XXXX hits the NikeID machine. I will be in heaven with my P15...which is just like the P88 with a square toe. Counting down the days...