Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

Obviously you didn't see the original post where I said guys from work...not random strangers. Pretty quick to judge.

If you've all got an understanding that it's okay to grab anyone's water bottle and drink, that's up to you guys, it's unusual, and you didn't mention it.

Otherwise, you'll find that most folks consider it bad form to grab someone else's stuff. You'll find that's a common complaint running through this thread, for years.

Wow, it was just quick anecdote guys, relax. Making judgements concerning someone's character without knowing any pertinent information is pretty thoughtless.

Thanks for reminding why I don't play hockey with random people anymore!

Now, back to the pet peeves!

Wow, it was just quick anecdote guys, relax. Making judgements concerning someone's character without knowing any pertinent information is pretty thoughtless.

Thanks for reminding why I don't play hockey with random people anymore!

Now, back to the pet peeves!

As mentioned, this happens to be an often repeated pet peeve here, which is why you got the comments.

I didn't see any comments about your character.

I play with my son whenever I can who is 15. My new and recent pet peeve is watching guys lay the lumber on him and really work him over body wise. He is 5' 7" and about 140. He averages about 1 penalty minute a season for the past 6 seasons. He is the epitome of Lady Byng. He is hearing impaired (which some guys probably don't know) and he really doesn't yap AT ALL on the ice. He has good hands but he does not go coast to coast and passes A LOT. I've told him that I won't bring him out if he is a selfish player and doesn't move the puck.

When I see (usually older defenseman) lay the lumber on him hard or really rub him out when they have 60 to 100 pounds and 4 to 5 inches on him in a pick up session I absolutely see red for about 10 seconds. I'm 5' 11", 250 and the main reason I started playing was to hit people. I since have developed a love for the game and am a coach and am a much nicer player. However, when I see guys doing that to Lady Byng I just want to light them up. I could understand it if my kid was a punk and would actually be fine with it as I'm a big believer in respect for your elders, but he is truly not.

Just drives me batty.

Now, I have some friends that I play with that know my son and me and they go after my son, try to hit him, rough him up and I'm all good with that. I want him to get tougher. He tries even harder against those guys and even throws some hits at them. It's great and I'm all for him getting tougher. It's just when it's guys that really don't know him well that get mad getting beat by a kid, even though it's clean, and they get dirty. That pisses me off to no end.

You can't have it both ways. You can't let only some guys play physical against your kid and get pissed when other guys do the same. The guys who don't know your kid are taking their cue from the guys that do.

It happens all the time. Anytime I play with older players, I get hacked all the time. I'm not small, 5'11" to be exact, but nor am I a someone of a hulking presence. Usually, it's a good thing because that means you have some skill. If your son is small and playing with older skaters, he will always be a target. That's the name of the game. He should be fine.

Not quite like that out there Chippa. Should have mentioned we are talking about separate skates here. I was just trying to point out the fact that I don't treat my kid like he's made out of bone china or anything. I wouldn't take liberties with younger kids as an adult unless A.) I knew their parents, the kids, and it was cool or B.) the kid came out playing like a typical teenage punk.

I also agree with you broad street in that it will make him a better player. He sees more lumber and cheap shots in high school hockey. My point is just that it's lame to watch older guys drop two handers on my kid or throw him into the boards because he is beating them. Not something I would do to someone else's kid.

Ah, ok. That makes it much different. We always made sure to go light on people's smallish kids at pickups because nobody wanted to be "that guy".

Around here we'll see the opposite phenomena in beer leagues. Our team is one of the oldest and the young bucks can't stand losing to a bunch of old timers so they always turn chippy.

More power to you Chippa. Nothing better than age and guile beating youth and energy. I too play on a well seasoned team. I love having the young kids come out and teaching them it's not all about flash and dash.

Now, I have some friends that I play with that know my son and me and they go after my son, try to hit him, rough him up and I'm all good with that. I want him to get tougher.

what do they do?

I'm in a pick-up hockey group and I'm looking to improve as a hockey player, but also get tougher as I'm small and I'm sick of people pushing me around on the ice.

Anyways, I'm 5'10, 135lbs. Should I ask my pick-up group to start hitting me to try to toughen me up? I don't want to get hurt though and I don't want it to get out of hand, so what should I ask my group to do?

Toughness has nothing to do with size. There have been some pretty tough guys that have played who where not big in stature.. My 20 year old son is 5'-8 and maybe 150 but has the attitude that no one will beat him to the puck, push him off the puck or take advantage of him because of his size. He is one of the top players in our beer league and is always targeted by the other team. Every time they go at him he just keeps coming back. He has been this way ever since he played competitive hockey. His never stop, never back down attitude has also helped him in the military. It's all in your mind set and attitude. Getting pushed around or hit won't make you tougher, it's how you handle it that does.

Getting pushed around or hit won't make you tougher, it's how you handle it that does.

I don't know how to handle it.

I'm in a pick-up hockey group and I'm looking to improve as a hockey player, but also get tougher as I'm small and I'm sick of people pushing me around on the ice.

Anyways, I'm 5'10, 135lbs. Should I ask my pick-up group to start hitting me to try to toughen me up? I don't want to get hurt though and I don't want it to get out of hand, so what should I ask my group to do?

Could someone answer my question?

Your question was answered. Just asking a bunch of people in a pickup group to hit you isn't going to toughen you up, hitting weights/exercise, proper nutrition, etc will. Also it is not your place to ask to be hit in a pickup group, the group should have guidelines for all in any situation, there should not be exceptions.

In my opinion asking people to start checking you is going to do you more harm than good. 1st thing is are the people qualified to check correctly. Just because they play hockey doesn't me they know how to check, been checked or have ever played in a checking league. One of the most dangerous things is an idiot who has no idea how to correctly check someone but tries to run everybody. 2nd thing is you will be skating afraid and trying to anticipate being checked. That means you will not have your head in the game and blow plays and your responsibilities and think everyone is out to get you. 3rd is you will get hurt either taking a bad hit or trying to give one. Checking is something that is an organic part of the game that you learn as you go. Good coaching and these experiences help you learn that you don't have to hurt or be hurt on every check, how to avoid a check and how to layoff a check.

Toughness is not a physical thing it is a mental thing. It doesn't matter how big or strong you are. If you cannot get over the mental block of pain, if something is going to hurt, being hit, etc then it doesn't matter. No one can tell you how to handle it, it is something that you need to figure out. Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds more like fear and uncertainty then lack of toughness. You need to get past that. It doesn't matter if it's on the ice or off, if people take liberties with you then you need to decide if you are going to allow that to happen or stand up for yourself and push back.

I don't know how to handle it.

Could someone answer my question?

If you don't know how to handle getting hit, maybe start by taking some of the common hits in warmups, at controlled speeds and directions.

seemed like the best place for this. Before the site had to be redone I posted about teaching adults to play hockey. I have moved passed that with this group of guys I play with on monday night because they seem to get positioning and the rules a little better now. Most of these guys started out as D or below level players but I would say all of them jumped up a level of play since they started most of them I would say are pretty decent C level players maybe some even C+ to B- level.

Here is where the rant begins now that you have a little background. I took some time off playing with these guys because my league has had games every Monday night for the last few months and I didn't have a game last night so I went and played with them. One of the guys who isn't the weakest skater but by no means is the strongest wears a visor which I don't really care about however what does make me nervous is he does not wear a chin strap. I made a comment to him last night while we were waiting for the ice to be ready. I asked him "No chin strap huh?" He responded with "Nope" and a smile I said "Doesn't your helmet ever just fly off?" He said "Sometimes" again with a smile. With this group of guys that just isn't safe. In my A/B league I would never do that with the guys that play there. I just don't get how stupid some people can be. Ice hockey is not a forgiving sport. We play in a box on a hard surface surrounded by other hard surfaces. Put your chin strap back on your helmet and stop acting like an ass. End Rant.