Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

Playing pickup last night with a rookie goalie and a bunch of mixed skilled players. The super skilled guy who loves to show off (there is always one) by going end to end and rifling the puck at said goalie ends up crashing the net and helps to hyper-extend the goalie's knee. The goalie is now screaming in pain on the ice, the game ends 25 min early while we wait for the ambulance. Playoff pickup I suppose.

There's a father/son goalie pair that come to our drop-ins occasionally. The son typically stops playing after he's let in 2-3 goals and always bitches about defense. if someone gets a breakaway on him he'll skate out of the net. Other times if someone gets a beat on him even from a bad angle he'll just stand straight up annoyed. We've told him before that we'd rather NOT have a goalie and go 6 skaters if he's not even going to make an effort. Granted, it is drop-in and D is pretty much non existant, but c'mon.. he knows that going in.

We've tried to get the goalies to swap mid way a few times when he's getting lit up and he won't do that either. :rolleyes::facepalm:

*sigh* the poop you pay to have 2 bodies in net, I guess.

Doesn't he get more practice that way? I can't imagine anyone would prefer to stand there all game behind shutdown D, and never face a shot.

If I get a break away and you walk out of the net to be a dick I'm hitting you in the pads with it.

You should congratulate him on the great save too

Doesn't he get more practice that way? I can't imagine anyone would prefer to stand there all game behind shutdown D, and never face a shot.

When I play goalie, I love it when there are more shots. More opportunity for me to make a fool of myself.....

There's a father/son goalie pair that come to our drop-ins occasionally. The son typically stops playing after he's let in 2-3 goals and always bitches about defense. if someone gets a breakaway on him he'll skate out of the net. Other times if someone gets a beat on him even from a bad angle he'll just stand straight up annoyed. We've told him before that we'd rather NOT have a goalie and go 6 skaters if he's not even going to make an effort. Granted, it is drop-in and D is pretty much non existant, but c'mon.. he knows that going in.

We've tried to get the goalies to swap mid way a few times when he's getting lit up and he won't do that either. :rolleyes::facepalm:

*sigh* the poop you pay to have 2 bodies in net, I guess.

I occasionally go to a Thursday night skate, one of the goalies is a girl and she's awesome. The other is a middle aged dude that feels the need to go sit on the bench for 4 or 5 minutes every time a goal is scored (after slamming his stick on the ice), and yell about the lack of defense. Conversely he gets upset if he goes too long without seeing a shot.

Latest update on the goalie from last night. Hotshot who crashed the net probably caused a fracture. This was shinny.

My main pet peeve of pickup hockey is people playing pickup hockey during stick and puck practice time...its selfish and dangerous for the other players (including people that are out there teaching kids).

Assuming the pickup is actually taking place at a scheduled time, my pet peeve the guys that get pissed at players that aren't as highly skilled as they are playing in a pick up game and gripe about it on the bench. A) If you're so much more skilled you'd be playing somewhere else and B) if you want to play with people of a more matched skill level join a league and skip the pickup.

At the rinks I have played at stick and puck is the pick-up skate. We always ask everyone that is on the ice if they want to play a game and if there are people who don't want to play then we play half ice and the people wanting to just shoot around have their own en to do as they please.

In my experience, 3/5 goalies have something thats weird about them. Don't sweat it, I got stuck living with one for a year.

In my experience, 3/5 goalies have something thats weird about them. Don't sweat it, I got stuck living with one for a year.

You don't know two of those goalies very well then.

Most goalies are nuts and it's a blessing to find one sane and good.

I'll add another. There is a mini rink that we play pickup at in San Clemente (near San Diego). It literally is a small rink with full boards and we play 3v3. 3v3 is not very good to quit on plays and gripe in frustration. That goes for both a skater and a goalie.

The skater was pretty bad but tolerable. Though, I did want to ask if he wanted to be there based on his quit. The goalie in question, quits on breakaways (super rare on this rink size), outlawed slapshots on him (after he gloved a slapper from the other side of the rink) and threw his water bottle after getting tagged in the mask on a nice save.

It sucks bc it is him and any other goalie we can get. If we can't get another, it is a home-made shooter tutor and him. The other goalies that show up LOVE the increase in shots and goals bc they can make crazy saves while expecting to give up goals. So, goalies that don't want to compete.

You don't know two of those goalies very well then.

Haha, touche!

I can't stand having players who are so far below the skill level of the play that they don't know what they're doing out there. I don't mind playing with new guys, as long as they're willing to learn, care, and come to drop in sessions designed for their skill level - it sucks when you have a high tempo of play that is disrupted repeatedly buy people who cant skate/pass/shoot and continually get in the way.

Most goalies are nuts and it's a blessing to find one sane and good.

That is literally the case at on of my local pickups. There is one goalie getting up there in age, a true rink rat that has some senile...tendencies? Another has a slight mental handicap... both great guys to play with though and are hilarious when they choose to be :laugh:

Haha, he's...younger than one would imagine. :ph34r:

Nah, I was talking about one of the Iceland skates. Which reminds me, exams are done, check your inbox!

My peeve is the guy who can't handle that I am still young and have wheels so he hacks and takes any opportunity to obstruct me and my buddy and claims that's the only way to play us cause it shuts us down. It doesn't... and then he complains when we lean into him when he tries to throw hits and I don't even have shoulder pads on. Best part is he told us, "wait til my son that plays prep school comes back for break and we'll see how well you fair out there." Well bud you wasted money if you sent him there to play hockey because he's no better than any local high school player...

I had a kid use my stick without asking tonight. I always have an extra stick on the bench, next thing I know, this kid has it on the ice. I don't mind if someone needs it, but he could have at least asked first.

Cant stand some guys in my 'league' (not really a league more just round robin scrimmages), they've been playing maybe 6 months max and wont listen to coach's contstuctive critism, when coaches ask what theyd like to work on next training session, they say they want to work on skating.

Now over here in Northern Ireland there are 5 senior reccie teams, and 1 rink, each team gets 1 x 75minute ice session a week, and i constantly get p*ssed off when guys want to work on skating during the only time we can get a puck and sticks on the ice in the week. The rink is public, its open to the public from 11am to 10pm every day, you wanna work on skating, go during the day or before training.

There was also a big crying session about guys not getting picked for the team to play games....when they put in 40% effort at training as opposed to guys who skill wise arent as good as them but put in 100%, id rather play with guys who give 100% than more skilled guys who give 40%

Rant over haha

My pet peeve is the guy who takes advantage of the fact that pick up is no contact so he'll try all the dangles he knows he'd never get away with in a contact league.

I'm guilty of this myself sometimes :x

My pet peve is when someone tries to rip your helmet/cage off so that he can punch you in the face and part of the chin piece (a little hard plastic piece on the corner) tears completely through your nose causing you to have to get six stitches. I hate when that happens.

My pet peve is when someone tries to rip your helmet/cage off so that he can punch you in the face and part of the chin piece (a little hard plastic piece on the corner) tears completely through your nose causing you to have to get six stitches. I hate when that happens.

And that happened in pickup hockey?! Damn, might want to find a different group or kick that guy out