Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

s4gobabygo

Graf Holder screws?

hi guys,

i just got fitted at my LHS for Graf skates. i originaly was looking at 9 series skates (G9 i think?) but they didnt feel right... too wide up front. i tried on a 703 size 8.5 Wide, and everything was perfect except for the length which was a little bit short, so i had them order 9.0W 703's. i've read a lot about the forward pitch to the graf skates... i've been on Custom+ holders forever, and i'm comfortable with them, but i understand they're the exact opposite.

does anyone know what size holder a 9.0W 703 will take?

also, i noticed they have screws instead of rivets... do they align with any other holders, in case the graf holders seem too extreme to me, or would they have to be drilled and riveted?

i got a good deal on them too (i think...) at $375 for the pair... they're the ones with the composite sole... $25 under hockey monkey!!! i'm sure there's someone on here about to chime in who haggled a pair down to $100 or something absurd like that, but i'm happy! cant wait to skate in them and fall flat on my face!

great to hear your purchase! I am also in the market. anyways, I can't remember exactly what will fit without drilling. I believe a custom + will fit without drilling and all you need is a torque wrench to remove the holder screws.

you'll need to drill for pretty much any holder other than the cobras you want to have put on there.

I'd say try the cobras for a couple of sessions before doing a swap. Another option would be to have the steel on the cobras profiled to match the Custom+. the cobra is a stiffer holder than the C+, however, and that will also feel slightly different.

Try to skate on the cobras first...if you can get used to them, you will like them. The boot will need to be drilled for any other holders...thus voiding warranty.

the holder size would be a 280 for a size 9 but i believe that since they are a wide, i think they go to a 288. i agree i would wait until the warrenty is over before you change the holders you might like the set up.

all you need is a torque wrench to remove the holder screws.
It's actually called a torx screw. Not to belittle you, just to let you know for future reference. ;)

It's actually called a torx screw. Not to belittle you, just to let you know for future reference. ;)

oooohh thank you. I heard my dad say what i thought was "torque" wrench. thank you very much, you saved me from further idiocricy.

yeah a torque wrench is no different from a regular wrench as far as the sockets go. a torque wrench will just allow you to set how tight you want your bolt at.

the custom+ are little bit more cushy than the cobra's. hey that might be a good thing?

the forward pitch can always be changed. so give them a shot before having to drill holes and rivet everything.

Anyone know anywhere online to get the specific t-nuts that Graf uses? I love them soooooo much more than rivets.

I've used the ones from Home Depot to mount an inline chassis & they worked fine but are quite a bit more bulky.

I'm pretty sure they're a special casting.

I showed them once to a guy at Brafasco, and he was almost positive they were a custom piece.

Found them online. $25 for 16 screws/nuts.

I don't like them that much. :blink:

LINK

Sorry to hijack your thread, s4gobabygo.

dont sweat it... i'd been wondering about those. i'm definitely going to try out the cobra holders to start... i was just hoping something in 280 would also fit in case they're intolerable, cause i have prolite, custom+, e-pro, and t-blades all in 280.

well while we're at it... i'm sure there is a factory torque spec for those screws... anyone know what it is?

great to hear your purchase! I am also in the market. anyways, I can't remember exactly what will fit without drilling. I believe a custom + will fit without drilling and all you need is a torque wrench to remove the holder screws.

Not true. I had Custom+ put on and new holes had to be drilled.

Not true. I had Custom+ put on and new holes had to be drilled.

skate-Graf705jTUUk-400.jpg

--- Edit - Actually, I guess the new holes could be drilled, but then you could still put the standard Graf RMS nuts through them, so I guess that picture doesn't make me as brilliant as I thought it did for a second there...

skate-Graf705jTUUk-400.jpg

--- Edit - Actually, I guess the new holes could be drilled, but then you could still put the standard Graf RMS nuts through them, so I guess that picture doesn't make me as brilliant as I thought it did for a second there...

can they be used with any skate? is there a downside? seems a lot more convenient than riveting... why isnt it more common?

I used them on a pair of RBK's...Had to widen the holes. Pain in the butt to get them in the holes nearest the toes...

True. For someone like me that has to do most of their own skate maintenance being able to do holder changes without 'screwing' around with rivets is well worth the hassle.

The only downside that I have noticed is that they loosen after several skate (the heels) and I have to tighten them. No big deal, I take care of my skates so it's just routine now. If I was more ambitious, I would put more loctite on the threads. :D