Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mxpowder

Stock Graf Supra 703 vs. custom Ultra G3

Well I've gone through CCM's, Easton, and now Bauers. I currently have a pair of Vapor XXX's and they just dont feel right/ snug enough in the ankles. I get ankle bite on these and the Easton 1500's I had previously.

I have a narrow foot with a very narrow ankle area. Someone talked me into trying on some Graf skates recently, which I did at my lhs. The best fit I got was in a size 7 narrow Supra 703. My foot felt really locked in and I also tried on a size 6.5 narrow Ultra G3 that was not quite as tight as the 703.

The guy at the lhs said I should go with the 703 because it is a smaller narrower fit than the G3. My only problem is I really like the look of the G3 (havent skated in it) and all the current materials. The sales guy looked into getting a custom order Ultra G3 and was told by the Graf rep it could be done. Graf rep told him to fit me a size or two down in a G3 and they would use that (last) sizing that fit best and just lengthen it.

What do you guys think, I really want the materials of the Ultra G3 but the stock 703 fits me. Do you guys think I should do a custom order considering I dont mind waiting. I did a search and found there sounds to be some problems with customer service with Graf in general. Its killing me because I love the fit but want the Ultra G3 in a 703 fit!???????????

spending 500 on skates is a big deal and you want to make a decision you wont regret. that being said, if you find that the 703 fit better than the G series i would stay with the 703 series. perhaps you get the new graf 700 series with the airnet liner, kind of the best of both. but if the 703 fits better, go with that, that would be my advice. save you a fair bit of change as well

I have 709s with custom+ and Ultra G70s with lightspeeds.

I find the 709s are a bit more comfortable and offer better wrap for my feet (they're also deeper skates and more broken in, which contributes to this) but the energy transfer in the Ultras feels better.

The Ultras are obviously lighter, but not so much so that I notice it while playing. The really nice thing about the Ultras is that they dry out much quicker than the 709s, but I like the feel of the clarino liner in the 709s better than the mesh liner in the ultras. The padding in the 709s also seems more supple.

Finally, the Ultras are more protective than the 709s, but I'll still get a stinger here and there.

I can vouch for the stingers in Ultras...I took a pass off the outside of the skate right near my heel bone, couldn't skate for a good 5 minutes.

The reason I'm very interested ingrafs is because i will get some grafs soon but, just can't choose ultra or the 700 series ultra for a better liner and stiffer and lighter or 700 series skate that will last with clarino liner, softer and decent weight.. But I do dig yellow/black laces :)

Well I ended up getting the 703's with the airnet liner. Felt like my ankle was locked like I have never had in any other skate. I'm really hoping the boot isnt too soft of a flex. That and I went with a 6 1/2 size from my normal 7.....worried reading other graf posts.

Talking to the guy who fitted me at lhs, he said I have some pronation with my feet. Lhs guy said to bring my skates in later and he would re-alighn (straighten) the holder for my foot pronation. I've never had problems in the past, anyone have the holders readjusted?

i personally disagree with adjusting the holder of the skate to correct for pronation/supination, and it doesnt correct the problem, as it would seem to throw the rest of your joints out of line. i feel that adjusting the holder with shims would put your body out of line, and put unnecessary stress on ligaments which would only lead to further problems. if your skate holders are properly aligned, that being straight, you can use other things to correct your pronation, such as superfeet. other things that can make it appear as if you are pronating would be prominent ankle bones or a navicular bone for which you can punch the boot and create a pocket. this way your joints are still aligned, and prevent unnecessary stress throughout the body.

other people and LHS have different ideas, thats what i believe. so some food for thought

i personally disagree with adjusting the holder of the skate to correct for pronation/supination, and it doesnt correct the problem, as it would seem to throw the rest of your joints out of line. i feel that adjusting the holder with shims would put your body out of line, and put unnecessary stress on ligaments which would only lead to further problems. if your skate holders are properly aligned, that being straight, you can use other things to correct your pronation, such as superfeet. other things that can make it appear as if you are pronating would be prominent ankle bones or a navicular bone for which you can punch the boot and create a pocket. this way your joints are still aligned, and prevent unnecessary stress throughout the body.

other people and LHS have different ideas, thats what i believe. so some food for thought

I agree 100%. Pronation is something that is much more of an issue dealing with running mechanics as your foot goes through it's strike zone. When you are wearing skates your whole foot is locked in the skate--pronation should not be much of an issue.

Pronation is something that is much more of an issue dealing with running mechanics as your foot goes through it's strike zone. When you are wearing skates your whole foot is locked in the skate--pronation should not be much of an issue.

FWIW, my daughter is a competitive figure skater, who is slightly knock-kneed. Her coach, recommended orthotics as she was having difficulty with a particular outside edge during her Lutz jump(I think). For her, custom prescription orthotics corrected her alignment and her skating improved dramatically.

In my own case, I am somewhat bow legged, and I do pronate. Superfeet grey, made a significant difference for me. supports my arch, and definitely helps with my pronation.

I would not assume that the skate prevents pronation or supination; I would look into orthotics if there are alignment problems. To me, it just makes sense that you would want each edge equally attainable.

Pronation is something that is much more of an issue dealing with running mechanics as your foot goes through it's strike zone. When you are wearing skates your whole foot is locked in the skate--pronation should not be much of an issue.

FWIW, my daughter is a competitive figure skater, who is slightly knock-kneed. Her coach, recommended orthotics as she was having difficulty with a particular outside edge during her Lutz jump(I think). For her, custom prescription orthotics corrected her alignment and her skating improved dramatically.

In my own case, I am somewhat bow legged, and I do pronate. Superfeet grey, made a significant difference for me. supports my arch, and definitely helps with my pronation.

I would not assume that the skate prevents pronation or supination; I would look into orthotics if there are alignment problems. To me, it just makes sense that you would want each edge equally attainable.

Well being knock-kneed is not the same as just having some pronation which is causing alignment issues. That is more serious than just the standard pronation issue. I agree that orthotics should be tried first.

You are correct, it is not the same.

That being said, my pronation is more pronounced than my daughters knock-kneed-ness (if that is even a word).

In the end they BOTH alter the alignment of the skate blade with regard to angle that it contacts the ice, and they both can be adressed and improved by superfeet, or orthotics.

Personally, it is something that I would address. It helped my skating as well. I also agree that orthotics would be preferable to blade adjustment.