Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

swissrocket

CCM Pro Tacks / Super Tacks 992

Hi Guys,

I've been using the CCM Pro Tacks for years now. As is well known they're not produced anymore and therefore hard to find, anyhow in size 7.5. Now I found the Super Tacks 992. Does anyone know if there's a considerable difference between the Pro and the 992? Is the 992 also a skate made in Canada/US like the Pro?

DO NOT purchase those 992's expecting them to be anything like your Pro Tacks. I was coming from Pro Tacks as well, and went through two pairs of the 2006 model before buying a new pair of Vector 10.0 SE's. If you want similar stiffness, go top-of-the-line again, or whichever model is a slight downspec.

Were the 992s you were looking at white, by any chance? If so, they're a Forzani Group SMU, and would have been comparable to a 2006 652 retail Tack. They're also Asian-made.

Hi Guys,

I've been using the CCM Pro Tacks for years now. As is well known they're not produced anymore and therefore hard to find, anyhow in size 7.5. Now I found the Super Tacks 992. Does anyone know if there's a considerable difference between the Pro and the 992? Is the 992 also a skate made in Canada/US like the Pro?

The only major difference appears to be the felt tongues (992), different kind of composite outsole, and the scalloped runners (Pro Tacks). I got some 992s from HG for friends overseas. All are Canada made.

CCM 992

CCM F-I-T System combines heat and pressure for a 'gapless' customized fit

Pro molded anatomical ankle support delivers required support and eliminates breakdown

Pro comfort plus foams immediately form to the ankles eliminating break-in

Comfort Flex tongue features lightweight high-density molded foam 'saddle' lace-bite guard combined with thick felt tongue that covers full length of foot for maximum comfort and protection

Comfort Control beige Clarino liner is ultra comfortable and water repellent

Pro Armour II improves protection by over 50%, maximizing durability while minimizing breakdown

Wearforce maximizes abrasion and cut resistance

Microtex mat leather grain trims maximize abrasion resistance and durability

Comfort Control footbed features a 'fleece' top cloth that feels like a slipper on your foot and moisture management perforations

Low profile overmolded charcoal composite perforated outsole reduces mass, increases energy transfer and delivers on durability

CCM E-Blade Pro blade holder maximizes energy transfer and features replaceable runner attachment

PROformance Stainless runner delivers long lasting edge and excellent glide

CCM Pro Tacks

F-I-T-SYSTEM: CCM F-I-T-SYSTEM combines heat and pressure for a "gapless" customized fit

Lateral Support: Perforated pro carbon anatomical ankle support delivers long lasting support pro players demand

Ankle Pads: Pro comfort plus foams immediately form to the ankles eliminating break-in

Tongue: COMFORT FLEX tongue features lightweight high-density molded foam "saddle" lace-bite guard combined with foam-felt tongue that covers full length of foot for lightweight comfort and protection

Liner: COMFORT CONTROL beige CLARINO liner is ultra comfortable with a water repellent anti-microbial lining by ULTRA FRESH that performs day-in, day-out

Quarter Package: PRO ARMOUR I improves protection by over 50%, maximizing durability while minimizing breakdown Vamping: WEARFORCE maximizes abrasion and cut resistance

Trims: MICROTEX mat leather grain trims maximize abrasion resistance and durability

Footbed: COMFORT CONTROL footbed features a "fleece" top cloth that feels like a slipper on your foot and moisture management perforations

Outsole: Low profile overmolded ultimate composite perforated outsole minimizes mass, maximizes energy transfer and delivers on durability

Holder: CCM E-BLADE PRO blade holder maximizes energy transfer and features replaceable runner attachment

Runner: New PROformance Lite Stainless features new mass reducing scallops, which increase the longitudinal and torsional stiffness by 15%

Both were made in Canada.

DO NOT purchase those 992's expecting them to be anything like your Pro Tacks. I was coming from Pro Tacks as well, and went through two pairs of the 2006 model before buying a new pair of Vector 10.0 SE's. If you want similar stiffness, go top-of-the-line again, or whichever model is a slight downspec.

Were the 992s you were looking at white, by any chance? If so, they're a Forzani Group SMU, and would have been comparable to a 2006 652 retail Tack. They're also Asian-made.

Thanks you guys for your replies.

Aarondevera, have a look at Hockeygiant, that's where I found it. The price is 200 $. Just curious that they have all the sizes on stock. This skate was not available over here in Switzerland. The price of the Pro Tacks was around 700 Swiss Francs, i.e. aprox. 700 $! (Swiss hockey retailers become rich men.....)

So $200 for the 992, if it's made in Canada, seems an attractive price for me.

Aarondevera, have a look at Hockeygiant, that's where I found it. The price is 200 $. Just curious that they have all the sizes on stock. This skate was not available over here in Switzerland. The price of the Pro Tacks was around 700 Swiss Francs, i.e. aprox. 700 $! (Swiss hockey retailers become rich men.....)

Sorry about that, everyone's been right about the 992s. The skates I was referencing were the white 952s, a specially-made skate for certain retailers here in Canada. The 992 model was just under the Pro Tack in the 2005-2006 line, but what i CAN tell you is that they are definitely bulkier than the Pro, and definitely softer around the ankle. However, depending on how often you'll be on the ice, they might be ok for you, just expect a noticably different feel.

Sorry for the mix-up, once again!

I skate in the 992's (size 7.5). Great skate! Definately stiff enough. I'm 5'10" / 190 lbs. and skate hard. I don't need anything stiffer.

A really good skate that I'm very pleased with.

For Comparison:

I had 'a hair' recently and picked up some RBK 9K pumps (white edition because they were on sale). The 9K is a very good skate...... but I'm not sure yet if I like them necessarily "better" than my 992's. I've skated in them twice and might just decide to stay with my 992's.

............ you won't go wrong getting them.

Good luck.

Sorry about that, everyone's been right about the 992s. The skates I was referencing were the white 952s, a specially-made skate for certain retailers here in Canada. The 992 model was just under the Pro Tack in the 2005-2006 line, but what i CAN tell you is that they are definitely bulkier than the Pro, and definitely softer around the ankle. However, depending on how often you'll be on the ice, they might be ok for you, just expect a noticably different feel.

No problem, I'm happy to read yours and Wolverines comment and it motivates me to buy the 992. I'll use it espacially as a Coach. For the games I'll furthermore use my Pro Tack until it bursts. Of course I would be happy to find a new Pro Tack in Size 7.5E, but I think this is nearly impossible.

Funny that one always (or many times) hold on the approved skates although the new ones would be perhaps better.... :rolleyes:

thanks again for your helpful inputs

Not to be nitpicky, but the white Forzani SMU was the CCM 972. It caught my eye as well, especially when it went down to ~$180. :D