Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chesterfield12

Tri-DI and Hi-Lo?

So, I've been skating on Mission's with Hi-Lo literally all my life, and I now need new skates. I went to my LHS, and tried skates on, and decided that the Tour's are too far from my ice skate boots, and the Missions are just way too stiff for me.

When I put on the RBK's I fell in love. However, is the balance, and set up of the Tri-DI that much different from the Hi-Lo? I know they have different wheel sizes, but does the axle set up make the chassis equate to a Hi-Lo?

I dont want to get the skates, and get to a game and find that my skating has changed alot.

So, If the Hi-Lo and Tri-DI have a different balance, is there a way to convert the Tri-DI to a Hi-Lo stance?

I don't think you should notice that much of a difference. It's not like either of those chassis have a rocker to them. They both have all 4 wheels on the ground at the same time. Wether its two sizes of wheels or three, I doubt it will even be noticeable.

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the Hi-Lo does have a rocker to it. I actually started out with a hi-lo because they had the rocking motion that was similar to the curve of my Ice Skates.

I will pardon you, because you are wrong. If you use the 80-80-72-72 setup, then all 4 wheels are flat on the floor. You can create a rocker by using different sized wheels, but it doesn't come like that stock. I'm looking at my Mission 9500's right now.

hi lo has a rocker, put the skate on a level surface and look at the wheels, the second wheel doesnt touch unless you apply body weight to it, same with the vanguard. i personally dont know about the tridi but i would say if you can skate with a hilo i dont think the tridi is going to make you forget how to skate.

hi lo has a rocker, put the skate on a level surface and look at the wheels, the second wheel doesnt touch unless you apply body weight to it, same with the vanguard. i personally dont know about the tridi but i would say if you can skate with a hilo i dont think the tridi is going to make you forget how to skate.

I see where you might be coming from, but is it possible to skate without putting body weight on the skate? No, therefore cancelling out any "rocker" the chassis might have.

I just looked at my 9500's just now, and saw just enough space under the back wheel to let daylight through. I wouldn't really consider that a rocker.

I went from skating traditional hi-lo's to the tri-di, didn't tale long to get used to it, maybe 5-10 minutes, maybe a bit more for stopping.

The tri-di DOES have a rocker, but if you have your body weight centred all wheels will be on the ground, otherwise it will be front 2 wheels or back 3 wheels. As far as I had ever noticed or felt, the Hi-Lo does NOT have a rocker on them.

if you put the Hi-Lo on a flat surface all 4 wheels should touch the ground, having the second wheel not touching the ground doesn't create a rocker effect, the skate will not tip forwards or backwards. Also, if all 4 wheels touch the ground when you do have weight on them, then that would eliminate the rocker all togeather, and so it wouldn't be a rocker chassis then would it?

Personally, I have adapted to the tri-di frame, I would go back to the Hi-Lo but it doesn't make too much difference to me.

if you put the Hi-Lo on a flat surface all 4 wheels should touch the ground, having the second wheel not touching the ground doesn't create a rocker effect, the skate will not tip forwards or backwards. Also, if all 4 wheels touch the ground when you do have weight on them, then that would eliminate the rocker all togeather, and so it wouldn't be a rocker chassis then would it?

honestly? i dont know, all i know is that every hilo and vanguard that i have had, which has been quite a few becasue thats all i will skate on has had the second wheel off the ground, not alot, not even visable but if you try to spin the second wheel it will spin while the other 3 are stationary. everyone ive asked about told me it was a rocker. it didnt sound like a rocker to me either but so many people have told me that i kind of accepted it. sorry to misinform.

a lot of older Hi-Lo frames had the front wheel rockered 1mm, which if you leaned forward it would compress the wheels and have all four on the ground. The Tri-Di also has this slight toe rocker. When Mission's ad campaign was all about Quattro (second year of HE series I think) it was all four on the floor with no 1mm rocker. The following year was of course the Vanguard introduction

I went from skating on missions for a long, long time to ccms w/ tri-di, and I didn't have any trouble at all with the transition. It doesn't equate perfectly, because it's not the exact same, but I have a hard time imagining it would be off enough that it would wreck your game. I didn't even notice it once I actually started playing on them.

For your second question, about converting to a hi-lo set up, there's no way to do that. The wheels only have a small amout of clearance before the bottom of the skate, so there's no room to use other sizes.

My only beef is that stores around me sell wheels packaged in sets of four, so I either have to buy 3 packs of wheels at once (if they even have the 72s in) or I have to order online.

I've never had a problem with any wheels wearing out abnormally faster than others.

Just remembered, if you really want to get rid of the rocker on the tri-di's, swap the front and second wheels around, so it is 76-72-76-80 rather than 72-76-76-80, without weight on it, the 72 wheel won't touch the ground like this, but it will a bit once you're skating...

quick input: I bought the RBK 7K with the tri-di chassis and it is rockered and you do feel it when skating, I weigh 215 lbs and the rocker is still in effect when skating. It doesnt take long to get used to and you do turn tighter and quicker but my biggest problem was trying to take off out of a sharp turn would cause major slipping. I never tried swapping wheels one and two as was suggested previously, that may work, may not. I went ahead and put hummers on and have never regretted it. I still have the old tri-di chassis if anyone wants to give them a try.

never could get use to the tri-di chassis after all the years on the hilo. I thought that the old hilo had a rocker like sd said?? Now i'm on the vanguard but I think I want to go back to the traditional hilo with 80-72 setup just cant find a redstar or generator chassis anywhere its frustrating.

hi guys first post on this forum!

I have been using the 72-80 HiLo setup on my skates and im looking at the Easton Z Air (i think is the name) form HockeyWorld. Would a flat frame feel that much different than the 72-80 HiLo? I read a little bit about how all the wheels are pretty much in contact with the ice and was unsure if that would translate to a flat frame with 76mm max but using all 72s? Thanks a lot for the help!

The flat frame might take a bit to get used to. The Tri-Di however, was nothing for me. Got used to it in about five minutes, comming from Hi-Lo.

i've used a tri-di the past few years. Tried on a pair of tours with a flat all 80mm frame and hated it. it felt like i was pitched way too much on my heels, like i was falling backwards.

So it would not be the best idea because i skate leaning forward (kinda like Kessel)?

I have a pair of size 8 missions now so if I got the 8EE Eastons (should fit considering mission runs pretty much to shoe size) would the chassis fit?