Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

When I first switched to FBV I was skating on 5/8" ROH so I went with a 90/1. I've done well with it for the past year, but I think I want to try something with a little more bite. What is the difference in feel between a 95/75 and a 100/50? Chadd, I think you said you put most of your guys on 95/75. What is their range in size? I'm 5'10" and fluctuate between 170 and 176 lbs.  Nowhere near me does FBV, so I can't do a test run, and Blackstone's shipping cost or $150 minimum makes it pricey to try something I may not even like. And $68 is pretty pricey to begin with.

Also, when switching between hollows (going from ROH to FBV or FBV to different FBV) how many total passes should I do to make sure I've completely changed it? I have an X-01.

46 minutes ago, Indo16 said:

When I first switched to FBV I was skating on 5/8" ROH so I went with a 90/1. I've done well with it for the past year, but I think I want to try something with a little more bite. What is the difference in feel between a 95/75 and a 100/50? Chadd, I think you said you put most of your guys on 95/75. What is their range in size? I'm 5'10" and fluctuate between 170 and 176 lbs.  Nowhere near me does FBV, so I can't do a test run, and Blackstone's shipping cost or $150 minimum makes it pricey to try something I may not even like. And $68 is pretty pricey to begin with.

Also, when switching between hollows (going from ROH to FBV or FBV to different FBV) how many total passes should I do to make sure I've completely changed it? I have an X-01.

Have you tried the Sharpie test? You can use a Sharpie to blacken the hollow, and then do as many passes necessary to completely remove the marker from the blade.

On 4/4/2017 at 10:48 AM, colins said:

Have you tried the Sharpie test? You can use a Sharpie to blacken the hollow, and then do as many passes necessary to completely remove the marker from the blade.

I used to use a sharpie to help make sure the blade and wheel are lined up. I'll try it the next time I switch hollows.

On 4/4/2017 at 11:01 AM, Indo16 said:

I've done well with it for the past year, but I think I want to try something with a little more bite. What is the difference in feel between a 95/75 and a 100/50? Chadd, I think you said you put most of your guys on 95/75. What is their range in size? I'm 5'10" and fluctuate between 170 and 176 lbs.  

If 95/75 feels like a brand new 1/2" sharpening, then 100/50 feels like you've used them three or four times. The guys ranged anywhere from 150-200lbs on 95/75 and the one guy on 100/50 was well north of 200. I also had a few guys that were on 90/75 with me and they ranged from 170-200+.

On 10/14/2012 at 4:41 PM, stick&puck said:

Took sometime today to make an exhaust system for the X-01, follow what other members have done for their units. Works like a charm

G2OLr.jpg

XZUCa.jpg

Did anyone get part numbers for their X01 exhaust system? I went to lowes and home depot and nothing fits the rear exhaust port. 

Edited by Skycop00

I found something (I think it was in a shopvac accessory kit) that fit the port perfectly on one side but stepped up to something larger than the PVC on the other side. So I just tightly wound duct tape around the PVC end until there was enough to form a friction fit with the stepup piece. Kind of kludgy but it works.

OK guys, I've been skating on 100/50 for over a year now and I just tried 5/8's ROH to see how I liked it. I did like the glide, but it seems like I lose my edges a little quicker on the 5/8's so I'm not getting the same sustained bite I get with 100/50. I'm using Step Blacksteel too, which I thought would help but apparently doesn't help as much as I thought it would. So I've been trying to figure out what the next step down from 100/50 would be in. I was thinking of doing 90/50 but wasn't sure if I would lose too much bite from the 100/50 or if there was something else that would be comparable.

I’ve been sharpening skates (FBV) for a few years now, I’ve noticed some blades get a “Buttery” rolled edge, usually at the toe and tail, and I’m wondering if it’s due to something I’m doing, or if anyone else has opinions on what causes that. 

Also, I hate cutting CCM blades with the black or mirror edges, as I’ve read you’re not supposed to stone those edges.....   anyone have thoughts/advice on those topics?  

Cheers!

For any of the steel that is polished or black coated, I don't use a stone because like you mentioned, it will scratch the polished finish and can/will compromise the coating if they are coated.  I use a piece of leather to clean the edge instead of a stone for the polished and coated steel.  Same concept of stropping an edge after sharpening a knife or razor.

18 hours ago, Theory13 said:

I’ve been sharpening skates (FBV) for a few years now, I’ve noticed some blades get a “Buttery” rolled edge, usually at the toe and tail, and I’m wondering if it’s due to something I’m doing, or if anyone else has opinions on what causes that. 

Also, I hate cutting CCM blades with the black or mirror edges, as I’ve read you’re not supposed to stone those edges.....   anyone have thoughts/advice on those topics?  

Cheers!

You're slightly elevating the jig during your pass, causing it to skip.

Maintain downward pressure on the jig throughout the pass.

Any way to easily tell when you have a good FBV edge on a new set of Step steel?  Every time I sharpen a new set of Step steel, it always doesn't seem sharp enough after first sharpening, and this is after doing about 20-30 passes on each skate initially.  Any other type of steel, this amount of passes is usually fine. 

Edited by shoot_the_goalie

depending on the quality / hardness of the steel 20 passes are not enough  ... i mark new step w a sharpie and sharpen 1/2" on the regular blademaster first ....then , after all the sharpie is gone ...i take it to the blackstone to get FBV w a few passes

blackedge steel though is black on the  surface as well , so you don`t need a sharpie here ...but it takes some time get them done right/ remove the coating totally for sharp edges

On 1/25/2018 at 3:58 PM, shoot_the_goalie said:

Any way to easily tell when you have a good FBV edge on a new set of Step steel?  Every time I sharpen a new set of Step steel, it always doesn't seem sharp enough after first sharpening, and this is after doing about 20-30 passes on each skate initially.  Any other type of steel, this amount of passes is usually fine. 

I'm assuming by "new" you mean the factory stamped edges. If your sharpener doesn't have a cross grinder, I'd recommend giving it 12-18 passes at a very shallow hollow, 1 1/2" or so. this will remove the round edge and polish. once you can feel a somewhat crisp edge on both sides of the blade toe to heel, do the same to the second new blade, then dress your flat bottom and sharpen as normal

• Like 1

On 1/24/2018 at 12:00 PM, GunRunner said:

.......Same concept of stropping an edge after sharpening a knife or razor.

I've been taking a chamios cloth, and doing a motion similar to wiping ice/snow off a blade (except I do it a bit firmmer, and a little more on the edge of the blade than focusing on the side walls).   It seems like I might be doing it similar to user "IPv6Freely" ??   ---   are you actually rubbing the edge of the blade with leather back towards the boot, and not down the blade?   Thanks for the advice!!

On 1/24/2018 at 12:54 PM, JR Boucicaut said:

You're slightly elevating the jig during your pass, causing it to skip.

Maintain downward pressure on the jig throughout the pass.

I'll give that a shot.   I think I'm keeping equal/consistent pressure....  but I'll try to be more aware and make sure it's not that!!   Thanks!  

Hi, have been following this post for a while and finally decided to participate. Was thinking of joining Blackstone army for a year or so. Bought my X02 two week ago. BTW, Josh from Blackstone was extremely helpful and positive. I guess, he was the main driving force behind my decision to jump into it. No regrets so far. The machine is fantastic. It took me, of course, one set of discarded blades and one orange wheel  to learn the technique. (at the beginning I was even sharpening in the wrong direction-). Ruined my first hockey training on the new sharpened blades as was falling all the time.  Was a laughing stock of the team.  But now after two days of extensive self training and video studying can say I am confident enough to do the skates of my team mates. The machine is easy to operate and I am very happy with the sharpening quality it provides. (And I know what I am talking about as I had to send my blades for FBV to another country to get the perfect sharpening I want). Now just some small questions.

1. What is your opinion on a pink wheel comparing to orange? I personally liked pink more as it gives better finish and does not take off as much metal as orange does.... Though some people say that it is too soft and it can burn your blades.

2. I sharpened Bauer Supreme skates of my friend and to make the edges even I had to do 15 pitch clicks between right and left skate. Is it normal? Or the blades are twisted? He enjoined the result (and he is not new to FBV) but still....

3. I am on 90/75 now and quite happy with it (the edges are fine and the glide is good) but as usual want to try something more and go shallow end. Would you say 85/75 should be the next step then?

Thank you for all your help. Apology for the grammar as English is not my first language.

Welcome to the sharpening club. Remember, owning a sharpener, and knowing how to sharpen are two very different things. Keep practicing on old blades until you're proficient. Doing your own is great as you learn the feel and the nuances. 

1. I once asked someone knowledgable in wheels which was the most popular among NHL EQM's. The answer was Blue and I've used it ever since. I believe pink is for softer steel blades, and likely not the best choice for stainless steel or harder blades. If i were to experiment, I'd try Blue, White or Orange. 

2. If the edges are level front to back on the blade, I wouldn't be too concerned with how many clicks it took to get there. You could always pick up a calibration block to ensure the jig is set to its original state if you're concerned.

3. I'm not an FBV expert and admittedly useless here. 

On 2/2/2018 at 10:18 PM, koresh38 said:

Hi, have been following this post for a while and finally decided to participate. Was thinking of joining Blackstone army for a year or so. Bought my X02 two week ago. BTW, Josh from Blackstone was extremely helpful and positive. I guess, he was the main driving force behind my decision to jump into it. No regrets so far. The machine is fantastic. It took me, of course, one set of discarded blades and one orange wheel  to learn the technique. (at the beginning I was even sharpening in the wrong direction-). Ruined my first hockey training on the new sharpened blades as was falling all the time.  Was a laughing stock of the team.  But now after two days of extensive self training and video studying can say I am confident enough to do the skates of my team mates. The machine is easy to operate and I am very happy with the sharpening quality it provides. (And I know what I am talking about as I had to send my blades for FBV to another country to get the perfect sharpening I want). Now just some small questions.

1. What is your opinion on a pink wheel comparing to orange? I personally liked pink more as it gives better finish and does not take off as much metal as orange does.... Though some people say that it is too soft and it can burn your blades.

2. I sharpened Bauer Supreme skates of my friend and to make the edges even I had to do 15 pitch clicks between right and left skate. Is it normal? Or the blades are twisted? He enjoined the result (and he is not new to FBV) but still....

3. I am on 90/75 now and quite happy with it (the edges are fine and the glide is good) but as usual want to try something more and go shallow end. Would you say 85/75 should be the next step then?

Thank you for all your help. Apology for the grammar as English is not my first language.

In regards to question 2 - Are you turning the Pitch knob to adjust the level of the blade?  You should not have to touch that knob once the machine is set up.  You should only be touching the left and right knobs.

10 hours ago, chiefs17 said:

In regards to question 2 - Are you turning the Pitch knob to adjust the level of the blade?  You should not have to touch that knob once the machine is set up.  You should only be touching the left and right knobs.

Chiefs, in theory yes. But talking to the professional sharpener who is doing FBV for ages. He advises vice versa do the Pitch knob and do not touch the others when you calibrated them. Works for me much better than adjusting the sides.