Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ktang

Gear whores on hockey teams

What is the gear whore makeup of your team?  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On all my beer-league teams I'm usually the only, or one of only two, players who can be classified as a gear whore. Or, in my case, a gear whore wannabe (don't have a collection of anything yet).

And yesterday I ran into 1 ref, out of all the dozens that I have reffed with, who noticed everything about everybody's gear. He, like another ref that I know, is very particular about visors.

Anyways, what are your experiences? Are you the only gear whore on your teams, are you one of a couple or a few, or is the majority of your team comprised of gear whores?

With all the new pizzazz with hockey equipment, is the number of gear whores increasing?

Gear whore can be defined different ways. At my age not many people have huge gear collections, but there are certainly some I can think of that always have up-to-date stuff and chirp people for their own stuff.

I'm probably one of two or three on my team, and that number is more of a constant.

I could have the sickest gloves on the market, and no one would even notice. Probably the only thing they can tell is good or bad is if the companies say like 9k, or one90 of xxxx or something. Other than that they can't really tell.

We don't have any legit "gear whores" on my adult team. I'm one of two guys who really pays attention to the gear and stays up to date as far as knowing what's out there, and even I am a pretender because I switched from goalie (where I was a complete gear whore) to forward where I am just now starting to pay attention.

But no one on my team (myself included) goes out of their way to buy the latest and greatest equipment. The most you'll ever hear is someone chirping at a guy on our team or another team for using a $250 OPS or top of the line gloves to play crap level beer league with.

I'm probably the closest on my team, and even I'm not that bad. Most guys will use the same equipment until it's literally falling apart, then buy something in the middle of the price range. A couple guys have started getting some better equipment and nicer skates though. But they still will usually get the cheapest gloves that fit or something like that.

hardly any of the 60 guys I play with could be classified as whores. Most are proud of their Cooper shoulder pads and wear them with pride. They have priorities in life, so they'd rather support their families, than have the latest neon green gloves. They seem to gravitate to the best deal, last year models, etc. Last yr I changed from a white mask to a custom painted goal mask with Ice-dog paint, blah, blah, (gift from wife). Not one player even noticed. Well, the other goalie did, cause all goalies are gear whores. :lol:

I guess I could say that I am a "gear whore" however it would be better classified as "deal whore." I would never run out and pay $600 for the hottest, newest skate. Ill wait it out on hockeygiant or a blowout sale locally for 1/4 of that. I get stuff from some of my friends who still play, but I have a wife and kid. Mortgage and diapers lol. Furthermore, of all the stuff I have, its mostly stuff Ive purchased over the years. I collect hockey gloves plain and simple. I have about 7 pair. Most of which will end up in my kids room on the wall. I rarely wear everything that I buy. Recently I had to break down and get a new helmet ( my bauer hh4000 cracked ), pants (mine disappeared via abrasions and stink), and Gloves ( I gave my gloves to a guy who wanted to start playing). Im still wearing the same VIC SG105's Ive had for 5 years, as well as the same Louisville (yes Louisville) TPS elbow pads Ive had since my sr. year in HS, which was 98 haha.

The other most gear-whoringest guy on my team's brother plays in the show and he's got something different (not always new) on every other game lol

fastbrother7 Posted Today, 06:05 PM

I guess I could say that I am a "gear whore" however it would be better classified as "deal whore." I would never run out and pay $600 for the hottest, newest skate. Ill wait it out on hockeygiant or a blowout sale locally for 1/4 of that.

+1. I very rarely pay full price for any of my equipment, but always have high end equipment and over the last few years (since being on this site coincidentally) have changed equipment more frequently than in the past. I'll usually wait until something is on closeout from a previous year or I see a good deal in the BST section ect. The only thing I currently use I paid full price for is my shin guards (I felt the old ones were too bulky and didn't want to wait for a deal on something more streamlined) - everything else I paid far less than retail for. Right now I suppose you could call me a skate whore as I have half a dozen in my possession and one on the way between ice and roller, but came across some deals on skates my size that I couldn't pass up (2 of them on here in the last month...one today). I've spent more on those 7 pair than 1 new high end pair at full price, but they should last longer and if I run into any issues I'll have backups. I've also grabbed far too many $99 pro stock and sale OPS sticks at National Sports and Sport Check sales...I'm holding off until I break a bunch (which I rarely do) or there's a pro curve I can't resist available...

I'm one of 2 guys on my team that change equipment on a regular basis..the others hold on to equipment until it falls apart and then replace with mid or even low level gear and the occasional closeout/sale items. There's only one other guy that has all high end stuff.

hardly any of the 60 guys I play with could be classified as whores. Most are proud of their Cooper shoulder pads and wear them with pride. They have priorities in life, so they'd rather support their families, than have the latest neon green gloves. They seem to gravitate to the best deal, last year models, etc. Last yr I changed from a white mask to a custom painted goal mask with Ice-dog paint, blah, blah, (gift from wife). Not one player even noticed. Well, the other goalie did, cause all goalies are gear whores. :lol:

Not me! :rolleyes:

fastbrother7 Posted Today, 06:05 PM

I guess I could say that I am a "gear whore" however it would be better classified as "deal whore." I would never run out and pay $600 for the hottest, newest skate. Ill wait it out on hockeygiant or a blowout sale locally for 1/4 of that.

+1. I very rarely pay full price for any of my equipment, but always have high end equipment and over the last few years (since being on this site coincidentally) have changed equipment more frequently than in the past. I'll usually wait until something is on closeout from a previous year or I see a good deal in the BST section ect. The only thing I currently use I paid full price for is my shin guards (I felt the old ones were too bulky and didn't want to wait for a deal on something more streamlined) - everything else I paid far less than retail for. Right now I suppose you could call me a skate whore as I have half a dozen in my possession and one on the way between ice and roller, but came across some deals on skates my size that I couldn't pass up (2 of them on here in the last month...one today). I've spent more on those 7 pair than 1 new high end pair at full price, but they should last longer and if I run into any issues I'll have backups. I've also grabbed far too many $99 pro stock and sale OPS sticks at National Sports and Sport Check sales...I'm holding off until I break a bunch (which I rarely do) or there's a pro curve I can't resist available...

I'm one of 2 guys on my team that change equipment on a regular basis..the others hold on to equipment until it falls apart and then replace with mid or even low level gear and the occasional closeout/sale items. There's only one other guy that has all high end stuff.

+1 on the skates thing. I have four pairs right now and one pair on the way! I currently wear one pair and may wear the other two at some point, and the last two pairs are 1st and 2ng gen nikes, which are too uncomforatable to wear ( at least in the case of the gen nikes in my experience ). Never the less, I paid less than a pair one95 for ALL of them including the mods ( tongues, ls2 conversion, etc. ).

A couple on my old team and I'm definitely one of them. With a few exceptions, I don't like much of the new stuff and so my whoring tends to lean towards classics I like and stockpiling them.

Not me! :rolleyes:

Ok, quick, before it's too late. Visit GA.com (goalies anonymous) You're in denial. That's the first stage!

The phrase "Damn, you've got nice hockey equipment" has been spoken in my direction more than once. That and "Did you get ANOTHER stick (and/or jersey)?"

So, I guess I qualify. I'm not nearly as bad as some of you guys *L*

The phrase "Damn, you've got nice hockey equipment" has been spoken in my direction more than once. That and "Did you get ANOTHER stick (and/or jersey)?"

So, I guess I qualify. I'm not nearly as bad as some of you guys *L*

Ah yes, the infamous "Oh Jeeze, another f*ckin stick?!"... hear it all the time. One night of the week, I'm all on my lonesome.. but on Sunday nights, this one dude's got me beat... He's always got the new gear, and it makes me insanely jealous.

When I was young I used exclusively used equipment. Now I am still using used equipment, but more top-end stuff that I get from places like ModSquadHockey, PIAS, and Sport Swap (before they went out of business). The other adult players get new mid-range equipment.

The kids nowadays seem to use some high-end equipment, these days mostly skates and helmets and sometimes sticks, pants, and gloves, but don't realize it (their parents get the equipment). They do recognize which players have high-end equipment, and which ones don't, but they don't seem to realize what the actual advantages are.

So, maybe the hockey manufacturers are smart in getting star endorsements for visible equipment (skates, helmets, sticks, pants, and gloves) so that parents get this high-end gear for their kids. Adult players would get by with mid-range equipment.

Gear whores beget gear whores. We have a couple on our team..It is interesting to note, that in June I was the only one with the new Bauer Supreme line of skate..Now 3-4 guys have the new One55s or One75s.. A couple are in Vapor XXVs and Vapor XXXs.. I'm guessing 3-4 guys have gotten new gloves this fall as well..Lots of Bauer 4 rolls out and Vapor XXV gloves out there during beer games.

I believe im the only 'gear whore' in my entire league!

He wait a minute I'm catching up with you...slowly...but I'm working on it...I have 2 helmets (3 shields), 2 pairs of shoulder pads, 4 sticks, 2 bags, 2 pairs of skates, 2 pairs of shin pads...I'd like to start to get rid of some of the old stuff so I can add to my collection of usable gear (like a second pair of gloves), and more sticks...

As far as knowledge...it's growing (like the old ESPN commercials) but I'm still too focused on not falling during the game to notice gear...

BTW we missed you last Saturday...could have used the help... :P

Last night some of the guys in the locker room were talking about getting new gear and someone commented that I have something new every game and I should donate! I guess it's slowly catching on on my teams. There are a few guys that are borderline, they don't have a lot of gear, but they notice people who get new stuff. It's only a matter of time.

I'm guilty, but I don't really know of anyone else I play with who even comes close. Maybe new gear here and there, but over the summer it was fun showing up to drop in with a new stick almost every time. When I get back there in January it will be a different set of gloves and stick each time.

I'll probably end up offloading most of what I've been accumulating. The paychecks are going to stop and the beer still needs to be bought! Take my growing collection of (currently) 7 gloves and 16 sticks down to 3 sets and 7 sticks maybe.

I am the closest thing to a gear whore on my team. I have replaced all my cheap beginners equipment with higher-end stuff, but I have stopped at getting multiple pieces.