Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fldksja

Holes in palms of gloves

Does anyone know what causes the palms of hockey gloves to wear, and eventually get holes?

I have heard that if you use colored tape, then the dye used to color the tape could cause the problem. I have also heard that it is just the kind of tape itself that causes the problem.

If either of those explanations are true, can anyone recommend a kind of tape that will allow the palms to last longer?

Thank you.

It's the friction between the tape and the palm of the glove, also the shape of your butt end tape job plays a factor b/c some shapes/sizes can cause more wear than others. I don't think the color of the tape has anything to do with it... maybe try making a smaller knob on the end or something.

The more grip the tape has, the less it will wiggle in your palm and create wear. People have also said great things about Tackimac and Oggie grips not putting any wear on their palms, as well as grip tape being better than cloth.

If you cut the butt end down, make sure the edges aren't sharp - sand them down so they're rounded. Helped me immensely.

Does anyone know what causes the palms of hockey gloves to wear, and eventually get holes?

Bears. Bears are attracted to the scent of hockey, thats why many live up north. They sneak into your house at night and eat your palms, piss in your skates too.

When my gloves got holes in the palms, it was because the top of my stick was rough from being cut. I don't use a knob at all, and until I wrapped a few layers on top to smooth the edges out, it was eating right through my palms. Make sure there are no rough edges at all anywhere.

I usually get two holes in my palm.

One occurs on the thumb because it is constantly being pressed down while holding the stick. The second occurs in the middle of my palm because I hold the knob of the stick in the center of my palm. I've wondered how a strip of duct tape or electrical tape over the knob would work to reduce the friction between the hockey tape and palm. Also considered coating the knob with regular candle wax but have yet to try it.

I would think a strip of duct tape would work pretty good because of it's smooth surface?

i always do my but ends with electrical tape

it doesnt ware your palms

- doesnt soak up water and become soggy and gunky

- doesnt colour your palms

- or get dirty

- not as thick either

Tacki Mac grips are amazing.

I would recommend them to anyone.

They come in a variety of styles and colors.

They can also be cut to a size that is preferable.

They even make them for goaltenders.

If you cut the butt end down, make sure the edges aren't sharp - sand them down so they're rounded. Helped me immensely.

That is the number one answer right there. Knobs with sharper edges are almost as bad as an un-taped knob.

i always do my but ends with electrical tape

it doesnt ware your palms

- doesnt soak up water and become soggy and gunky

- doesnt colour your palms

- or get dirty

- not as thick either

It's also quite slick compared to cloth tape.

Tacki Mac grips are amazing.

I would recommend them to anyone.

They come in a variety of styles and colors.

They can also be cut to a size that is preferable.

They even make them for goaltenders.

I second the Tacki Mac recommendation. I use them on all of my sticks now and can't see myself going back to tape anytime soon.

It's also quite slick compared to cloth tape.

Yeah, a little bit but it's not a problem....for me anyway.

I understand you can trim the overall length of the Tacki Mac, but what about the overall thickness of the knob? I usually wrap just enough tape to make a tiny knob. Would I just take a razor and sort of shave away at it?

I've seen this at my LHS and have always been curious because I tend to tear through palms rather quickly.

I understand you can trim the overall length of the Tacki Mac, but what about the overall thickness of the knob? I usually wrap just enough tape to make a tiny knob. Would I just take a razor and sort of shave away at it?

I've seen this at my LHS and have always been curious because I tend to tear through palms rather quickly.

They have two different sized nobs for skaters (not goaltender).

They have a small nob and a large nob.

The thickness of the grips are good. They're not too thick. It takes all of one use to get used to them.

And you can get a tape texture, so it looks and feels like tape.

I use the regular "wrapped" grip. It is great.

If you get a Tacki Mac grip, i would recommend following the instructions that come with them. If you follow the instructions they work wonders.

Also can't use your sick for about an hour i think after putting the grip on. It has to dry otherwise it will come off. However, once it dried, and you use it on the ice once, it stays put. No problem with it slipping off or anything. I've had mine on my stick for about 3 months already, and no problems.

What i do is this:

Following the directions: make sure the stick is cut to the length you want. Clean the end off. Dry it.

Then i put the rubber cap on the top to cover the hole of the stick. Then wrap a small amount of electrical tape just on the end of the stick.

Then i make the glue solution.

Slip the grip on.

Wait till it dries.

Then use an exacto blade to carefully cut off the excess double sided glue paper.

And then its ready to go!

In the end you get no glue, no adhesive, no nothing, just a rubber grip. And your gloves' palms are nice and safe.

This will all make sense when you see it.

I really recommend these things, they are great.

Thanks Rags81,

I'm just really picky about the size of the knob but I really want to try a Tacki Mac. I think I'll pick one up today before I play tonight!

knobs.jpg

Those look great JR... I do my knob about the same thickness but don't tape down the shaft as far (which I'm sure is easy enough to trim or just adjust to), I think I may have to look into these things after all :D