Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beflar

CCM Pro Tacks

I figure it's been a few years now. Just wondering if they are ever going to bring them back or are they really dead?

Does anyone know why they would get rid of such a popular line? Were they to durable?

No idea...I picked up a set of 992's on closeout late last year...although they are lower volume than my old 952's I still jumped at them given the other options at the time. I scratch my head sometimes wondering why they aren't made any longer.

There was another thread around talking about essentially the same thing. JR had an answer but I don't quite think I could articulate it well enough.

Regardless, I prefer the fit of the tack skate and, yes, depending on what model you got they could be very long lasting.

I thought the RBK line was based on the tack fit?

Maybe so but without the CCM logo and that iconic heel lock it's not the same. It's sort of like how Ford released a new generation Taurus (one of their highest selling models) but decided to change the name to the "500", the sales flopped even though it was/is a great car (I know, even Ford makes a few from time to time) b/c people wanted that familiar Taurus name. Ford came to their senses in the 2nd or 3rd model year and changed the name back to Taurus... now if CCM were to add a Tacks model (or re-name an existing one) and add a heel lock (even if it's just a graphic, I mean it can't get much worse than the graphics on the current skates anyways) I think a lot of people would be very happy.

TFL baby!

"Tacks for Life"

Love my 992's! I wish I could get a new pair of PRO Tacks in the same size.

I wish we (the passionate Tacks members of MSD) could come up with (3) legitimate designs of our own for new Tacks. Then submit them to CCM/Reebock for consideration.

Think of the excellent marketing possibilities:

"Tacks for Life"

"The skate designed for hockey players, by hockey players!"

Who can come up with a new/fresh Tacks design? We can start with a shell & then expand. By nature of the Tacks line, it would have to be more of a 'traditional looking' skate.

I figure it's been a few years now. Just wondering if they are ever going to bring them back or are they really dead?

Does anyone know why they would get rid of such a popular line? Were they to durable?

If RBK sells off CCM, you might see a new Tack line, that's about the only way you will see a non-smu skate. I could see them doing the two line thing like Bauer does with the Vapor/supreme lines.

It wasn't very popular, most kids want the newest, lightest, bestest and tacks didn't fit that bill.

The name did not carry any weight with the kids nowadays.

Exactly, tradition means nothing in hockey gear.

TFL baby!

"Tacks for Life"

Picked up a pair of the 992s also when HG was blowing them out. What a great skate. It is not heavy by any means and is a tank. I love the skate.

A local shop had a pair of these in my size for $85.00 in the back. I really want them but I have no cash protacks.gif Trying to sell stuff on ebay to get the money.

my first pair of skates 5 years ago or so were tacks, because i read bobby orr wore tacks. good enough for him, good enough for me, despite them not really being anything alike :lol:

TFL baby!

"Tacks for Life"

Picked up a pair of the 992s also when HG was blowing them out. What a great skate. It is not heavy by any means and is a tank. I love the skate.

A local shop had a pair of these in my size for $85.00 in the back. I really want them but I have no cash protacks.gif Trying to sell stuff on ebay to get the money.

Picked up a set of those on ebay around xmas for $240. SWEET. Just had the prolites replaced with e-pros. Haven't skated on them yet.

Well I couldnt stop myself.

I went to the local rink today and they are blowing out old stock as I said before at 85.00 a pair. The older pro tacks were gone. Then I looked in a pro tack box labeled jr size 1 and found these Pro Tacks which are size 7

backyardebayPicture001.jpg

Ended up getting a 10% discount on them because I take my son to the parent taught class. Price out the door 82.50. They offered to sharpen them, but the 16 year old at the machine scared me. Seeing as how I have had to have some of there sharpening jobs fixed by there more experienced guys.

Now for two more pictures and some questions.

1) is this wrinkle in the boot bad?

backyardebayPicture004.jpg

2) why are the holders on the pro tacks smaller than on the 992? The pro tacks have 263 while the 992s have 271. Both are factory installed

backyardebayPicture005.jpg

OMG! That is outstanding! I'd kill for those in a size 7.5. Excellent question about the holder length. My 992's are a size 7.5D and they have a 271mm holder.

I have always assumed that the Pro Tacks runner lengths matched the 992's.

The fact is that CCM did little or NOTHING to innovate or sustain the Tacks skate line. While Bauer has constantly worked to improve and move forward the Supreme skate line(equal to Tacks in heritage and tradition), CCM was building a skate with no significant design improvements in over 10 years. Kids and tradition had very little to do with killing the Tacks name in the marketplace. CCM did it to themselves with no product innovation to their product icon. How stupid is that?

I agree with Darkstar- the last few years the retail offerings were pretty weak. The pro stock stuff was great- I said back in the day they should have released these as a retail skate- they were awesome.

84718583_o.jpg

I am going to disagree with the little to nothing.

If anything they moved to late.

04 tacks

protacks.gif

06 tacks

892s.gif

While I am not as experinenced as some of you, I can see a new holder, new quarter materials, some of the fit internals were upgraded, and they added the lace lock which I love, I know some dont but thats PP. Those are significant changes in my book. Did they go the Flashy Nike, Easton route? No. The T in Tack might as well stood for traditional look and build as that is what this skate was about, or atleast to me. That was also the downfall it would seem.

We are in the LOOK AT ME phase of society. Everyone wants the big shinny wheels and to standout. Tacks didnt do that. What tacks did provide was a very strong and durable boot. They are not as light as the supreme series but they can take more abuse and will last longer. When I hold the boot it just reminds of a time when things were built to last not a throw away item. Thats how the supremes feel when I pick them up. The Vapors less so.

If the Supremes are so great why are 50% of NHL players using the more tradiionally constructed Vapor? Of the players using the supreme looking boots, some are not really using them, but boots made to look like them for marketing purpose. I read that on this very forum. I am sorry I think the Supreme is a throw away boot. Light and not built to last. People also love the TUUK holders which has something to do with the Bauer success. If CCM had offered it on their boots stock I think that would have helped. I think there are more factors at play then what you offered up as the reason. Not trying to offend, just cant agree.

OOO and again anyone know why the 992 has 271 and the pro has 263 on same size boot?

Yes, I agree with all of the above. It still does not mean that CCM cannot come out with a new, lightweight boot and market it as the new TACKS line. Make it well with newer technology and it will sell. They should have a second line that is different that the Vector...... and NOT a Reebok.

New technology can still be somewhat durable. I believe that the Vapor XXXX skate is probably the best example of this. It seems to take a beating fairly well.

What say you CCM/Reebock???

JR, get em' going on this would you please! You seem to have a lot of pull with that company. Sell em' JR. Sell em'!!!!

I don't think I can fully agree with Darkstar, either. I have always been a HUGE Tacks advocate, and if anyone on the board has taken notice of my posts in the past, a good 60% of them were Tacks-related lol. I have had the top-end Tacks model for the last 4-5 years they were in production, from the 1st-gen 1152s, to 2006 Pro Tack model, and I found that they were getting lighter and more durable every time they were updated. Whether it was improving the tendon guard, the heel lock, the liner, the rimmed outsole, the integration of EPP in the shell, or even the E-Pro holder, I think the Tacks were improving as the years went on.

The holder was from the Koho skates, nothing new there. The original plastic ankle lock from the 90s was more fashion than function. The white plastic made the Tacks recognizable from the last row of any arena and easy to spot on TV. It's purpose to lock in your ankle wasn't as great as advertised.It created a crease at a critical part of a boot for stress. I think what misguided CCM was in holding on to the theory of that plastic ankle lock set-up for too long. Rather than let it go, they redesigned it to maintain the Tacks brand as part of the brand. Tacks fit was selling the original 90s Tacks, not so much the ankle lock.

The success of the Supreme ONE95 at all levels is way beyond the previous ONE90 skate. The Supreme ONE95 have also been built incredibly strong. At this point in the season, I have seen 1 pair out of 60 that we regularly sharpen that are beat to hell. The rest of the ONE95s are all in great shape from hockey players on ice 7 days a week. I wouldn't consider the Supreme ONE95 a throwaway boot/skate. The special make ups by Bauer are few and far between in the NHL this season.

At the end of the day, CCM did not do enough to sustain the Tacks line. I agree, too little too late. And as a guy selling Tacks in the pro shop, there was always a place for that boot in the shop. There were certain players that only Tacks would fit right. Part of my frame of reference is going way back to the 90s for how Tacks were built. That is my fault but it's my reference point.

One quick question, the RBK line is based on the Tacks? Because I say it is, but this other guy that owns a pair of 9k says they're based on Jofa. So which one is it? It can be none, but I think it's more Tacks(or Koho) than Jofa.