Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ahbroody

Grafs T-blades to Cobra holder

I searched and about 6 pages in I gave up.

Im am trying to find out if the Graf Cobra holder is interchangeable with the tblade holders on the Graf boots.

I am looking at picss of both and I can see there are 6 bolts on both the T's and Cobras. They also appear to be in exactly the same spots. I like the Cobra holder but the G35s comming have tblades. DONT ASK. Just want to know if I end up hating the T's if I can just switch to the Cobras.

I have done the switch from a cobra to a t blade myself. It is not difficult at all and you will not damage the skate by doing the conversion.

Graf uses t nuts to fix their holders (which you probably already know) so all you have to do is remove the t blade holder, remove the t-nuts from the inside of the boot, line up the new holder and make sure that it is straight and use duct tape to hold it in position so you can mark the Cobra hole locations on the outsode with a sharpie. All you need to do after you mark the holes is untape and remove the holder, drill out the holes with a bit that is slightly smaller then the t-nuts themselves, and re attach the new holder using the t-nuts and the new location holes you just drilled.

The whole process took me about an hour and a half and came out perfect, probably better then what my LHS would have done with rivets and this way you can always go back and fourth between holders if you are so inclined.

Hope that helps...

Are you sure they all use T-bolts? My G3 Supra's have the Cobra 3000 holders riveted on. All are normal rivets except for the two at the back which are copper. I believe he may have also bought pro-return Grafs as I did, so maybe only the customs use rivets and not bolts???

sole.jpg

Are you sure they all use T-bolts? My G3 Supra's have the Cobra 3000 holders riveted on. All are normal rivets except for the two at the back which are copper. I believe he may have also bought pro-return Grafs as I did, so maybe only the customs use rivets and not bolts???

sole.jpg

you might be right, if he bought the pro return ones they may be riveted and not screwed. My grafs were retail versions and they had the screws/t nuts. If they are riveted basically you have to go to a lhs to have the work done unless you want to drill out the rivets on a brand new skate which i would prefer not to do myself.

Hmmmm

G5s with cobras

pr_g3_6r.jpg

g35s with T's that are enroute

pr_g3_t.jpg

Ahhhhh its the ultra5000 that this may work with. my bad not the 3000 cobra. maybe mine arent really pro stock?

Yeah it looks like those have the screws and t nuts so you should be able to do the switch yourself if you end up not liking the t blades.

On another note I love my t-blades, i am skating on M-11-272 T blades on a pair of CCM Vector ZG130s and i will never go back to regular steel unless lack of T-blade availability forces me too.

On another note I love my t-blades, i am skating on M-11-272 T blades on a pair of CCM Vector ZG130s and i will never go back to regular steel unless lack of T-blade availability forces me too.

Only problem is if you wanted to try something like the FBV sharpening you can't do that to T-blades I was told? I hope my new steel arrives today or tomorrow so I can try out the FBV on Sunday. If I like it then my current runners will be sent in to have done so I have some spares just in case. :)

The Tblades were intriguing to me because 2x in 2 months I had a pair of skates brutalized. One was mine. The bad one was my sons. He is 3. We go to his skate class and hes falling all over. He got all pissed and it ruined his skate class. Now I only take his skates to one shop. The drive kind of sucks and there is always a minimum of 30 minute wait sometimes an hour.

Matrix your not in san jose are you? I was talking to a guy with those exact skates wednesday who loved them also.

Yeah it looks like those have the screws and t nuts so you should be able to do the switch yourself if you end up not liking the t blades.

Yes, if you get Graf with T'Blades from the factory they're attached with screws, the same way that the Cobras are attached with screws.

But the holes of the Cobras don't line up with the holes from the T'Blades. So if you're switching holders you will need to drill new holes that line up.

Trust me, I switched from Cobras to T'Blades on my Grafs and my son switched from T'Blades to Cobras on his. In both cases new holes had to be drilled.

Did you notice the pics I posted.

I screwed up and meant the nt5000 holder not the nt3000 holder.

I am guessing on the 3000 your right but on the 5000 the holes definetly appear to be in the same spot. Just eyeball the pics

Yes, if you get Graf with T'Blades from the factory they're attached with screws, the same way that the Cobras are attached with screws.

But the holes of the Cobras don't line up with the holes from the T'Blades. So if you're switching holders you will need to drill new holes that line up.

Trust me, I switched from Cobras to T'Blades on my Grafs and my son switched from T'Blades to Cobras on his. In both cases new holes had to be drilled.

See above, I already noted that they would have to be drilled out.

AHBrody, I am not in San Jose, Im in Philly. The zg130s are amazing though, if you can find a pair I reccomend them highly.

New holes will have to be drilled regardless of the Cobra model. You would think with all the holes the T Blades have that they would line up but they don't.

Not trying to thread jack but if you had T-blades on a Graf would it still have that agressive forward postition (pitch).

Yes. You can see that in the photo of the T-blade setup.

New holes will have to be drilled regardless of the Cobra model. You would think with all the holes the T Blades have that they would line up but they don't.

Well I guess I will put this to a test and let you guys know.

Looking at the photos I cant see drilling new holes. Infact I think you wouldnt be able to as the holes will be so close to the old I think it will be a structure problem.

They really look exactly the sme. Those who are saying it wont line up with the NT5000 what is your basis for this? have you tried to do this yourself or are you guessing? Have u done this swap? Or are u not sure?

Millimeters look the same from a distance but are worlds apart up close. Don't worry about the structural integrity of the outsole because there won't be any. The rigidity of holders supplement the stiffness of the outsole, in other words, they support and work with each other. Even if the holes are overlapping, the area for which supporting rivets can be installed on a Cobra holder is bountiful. Everything will work out.

I've been using t blades for years. Your going to have to drill one or two new holes. Not a big deal, any store can do it.