Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zinger

Skates - RBK 9k vs. 2009 CCM U+ Pro

Hey guys, did a search and couldn't find one adressing the major differences between these skates...

CCM Just sent me the brand new 2009 CCM U+ Pro's for my damaged 2008 V08's. Problem is when i wear the skate i have so many pressure points in my foot (the outside of both feet), very uncomfartable. Just wondering, how much of a difference does baking the U+ really make?

They don't fit liek my V08's at all....

I tried on the 9K's and they felt pretty nice compared to them....

what do you guys think? should i get rid of these U+'s and get 9k's?

The U+ is designed to be baked with the U+ fit machine. For that skate, it's a very big difference. You really need to go to a shop and have the CCMs baked before you do anything else.

You really need to bake any modern skate to get the best fit.

thing is they are so uncomfortable out of the box, im not sure how they will get THAT much better with baking..

thing is they are so uncomfortable out of the box, im not sure how they will get THAT much better with baking..

Try it though. The skate is designed to be formed to your foot with the fit machine. It's not designed to fit out of the box for pretty much anybody. They claim it will fit just about anybody after baking though.

You absolutely have to bake them, and the FIT machine apparently makes a big difference on top of that. The U+ isn't quite to the Kor level in terms of heat-molding ability, but it's up there. Get thee to an LHS.

wow im so confused on what to do....because once i get em baked, they lose value and im gonna have to dish out cash for the 9k's....

has anyone tried both skates and knows the differences?

I've actually worn both. Yes, out of the box the RBK 9Ks feel much better. In fact, I didn't even really have to bake them.

Trust me and everyone else who said that you MUST bake the U+ before you decide if it is right for you. They are not preformed to be shaped like a foot like many other boots (One95s for example). They are very square and boxy but open up tremendously when heated. If you get a proper fitting, these will take on the exact shape of your foot.

Also, as far as devaluation goes, boots can be baked and re-baked multiple times. Any LHS should know that these boots must be baked to determine proper fit.

How is your heel lock when you tried on the 9k's? I know that the difference is considerable from my own personal experience from the CCM vectors to the RBK (RBK being a good bit wider in the heel particularly). I would assume that if the RBK's feel good to you then your heel is relatively wide. I agree with the other posters though. You are really going to need to bake those U+'s to make a real decision.

The best analogy I can give you is wearing a new mouth guard with out boiling it molding to your teeth. Yes the mouthguard is shaped like a jaw, but it doesnt mean its gonna fit perfectly around your teeth until you mold them.

-L

The RBK's felt great right out of the box, but im gonna take your guys advice and bake the U+'s before i make a decision to get rid of them....the U+ pro's are just one mean pair of skates....they look incredible and this years version seems A LOT higher quality....

I cant wait to get these bad boys baked.

EDIT: Just got access to the gear exchange. if i get a good price these are gone! lol

its been 2.5 months, ive finally broken in my U+ pro's, they are great skates, but i have lots of pain on the side of my feet, like i have a red mark all along the sides after a game...

so i went and bought 9K pumps....havent worn them yet, but i have one major concern before sharpening and baking and usiong them....they seem to have way less voiume that the U+. i i fail the pencil test on the 9k's easily....

aren't RBK's supposed to be a deeper skate??? Im concerned with lacebite if i keep them....they do feel a bit better than the U+ on the sides where my pain is, but the volume issue has me concerned....

can anyone give some insight?

It almost sounds to me that you need to move up to an E or EE width. Are your feet feeling like they're pushing in from the sides when your skating? I had that so bad in my right foot that I actually got a cramp in the middle of the bridge, at the top my foot ,during a game. Turned out a D width was too narrow so I went to an E in my CCM's which is probably a EE in a lot of other makes. When they measure my foot at the LHS there is no indication I need a wide skate, I'm just at the edge between a regular and a wide fit. But when I put on a pair of skates it's very evident that I need a wider fit, especially on my right foot because it's slightly wider than my left. Now when I get new skates I automatically ask for a wide skate because years of discomfort has taught me well.

It almost sounds to me that you need to move up to an E or EE width. Are your feet feeling like they're pushing in from the sides when your skating? I had that so bad in my right foot that I actually got a cramp in the middle of the bridge, at the top my foot ,during a game. Turned out a D width was too narrow so I went to an E in my CCM's which is probably a EE in a lot of other makes. When they measure my foot at the LHS there is no indication I need a wide skate, I'm just at the edge between a regular and a wide fit. But when I put on a pair of skates it's very evident that I need a wider fit, especially on my right foot because it's slightly wider than my left. Now when I get new skates I automatically ask for a wide skate because years of discomfort has taught me well.

I was thinking that....same thing or me, when they measure up my foot at the LHS, I'm always a borderline D/E...

After trying on the 9K's again, I realize that the skate just isn't deep enought for me...I'm going to try on the XXXX's in a EE and see where that takes me.

What exactly happened to your V08's that you got them warrantied.

The boot cracked on the side of my right skate and the tongue has cuts all over them and the liner had rips in them....all this in less than 6 months.

I was in a Perani's picking up a pair of new breezers today and went by the skate wall and was looking at the U+ Pro and ONE75. I asked bout using the FIT machine and how well it helps with the fit and the kid working their said they no longer use the FIT Machine from CCM. I stated that CCM recommends it on their website and that all the forums say that it improves the fit tremendously. He claimed they pulled all the FIT machines out of every Peranis location.

Does that make any sense? I guess I'm buying my skates elsewhere...

I just dont understand why you bought a pair of $600+ skates after failing the pencil test. If you got your CCMs through a warranty return, why didnt the pro shop bake your skates for free? Where did you get your V08's?

How much forward flex does the U+ Pro have?

Barely any. I've been on my U+ Pro Reloaded for a few weeks now. It's a really stiff boot. Probably right around the same amount as the one95 boot.