Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

14 hours ago, EJB said:

So I've said it before, but I cannot express to you cats the enjoyment I get from my Sunday skate with the boy.  If you are lucky enough to get the opportunity to compete(I use that word loosely) with your kid, you're winning.  I look forward to it every week, it's awesome, pre skate lockerroom, skate, post game lockerroom(I have beers, no go for him)...,it's something words cannot grasp.  I'm a fortunate dad.  I hope I can do this with my daughter at some point as well.

there truly is NOTHING better then playing hockey with your kids.   these are my two goons, and I'd play with them everyday if it was possible...  one of our local rinks does "family hockey" which usually turns into Dads vs Lads.  its the best 2 hour skates I ever have.  

faAmfF2.jpg

• Like 6

My 8 year old step daughter told me this week she wants to join the Youth Learn to Play program at my rink, SUPER excited! She already loves skating and we have a blast going together, but I'm really hopeful that she'll take a liking to the sport as well!

My wife and I have another on the way, due in January and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to teaching he/she how to skate as well.

• Like 4

This week has been a long one. My husband was selected for Chief in the Navy on his first go around. If anyone knows military, that's a big deal. I am so proud of him. We had a Chiefs family meet and greet and everyone was so nice and welcoming. He is the youngest selectee on his ship and I'm pretty sure I'll be the youngest Chiefs wife (he's 28 and I'm 24). I like that they include the spouses on things. I have a Chief's wife dinner to go to pretty soon, a symposium on Chiefs wife etiquette, and I can not wait to pin him in 6 weeks. The training is brutal and he constantly has projects to do, but I know by the time they're all done he's going to be a better man and an honorable Chief because of it. 

• Like 8

Counting down the days here until I can move from my current hometown (50k people northern Ontario) to Ottawa for post graduate studies. Astounding how accurate the stereotypes are for a "dead end town" cause that's exactly what this place is turning into. 

• Like 1

On 8/6/2016 at 0:52 PM, Ashtasticness said:

This week has been a long one. My husband was selected for Chief in the Navy on his first go around. If anyone knows military, that's a big deal. I am so proud of him. We had a Chiefs family meet and greet and everyone was so nice and welcoming. He is the youngest selectee on his ship and I'm pretty sure I'll be the youngest Chiefs wife (he's 28 and I'm 24). I like that they include the spouses on things. I have a Chief's wife dinner to go to pretty soon, a symposium on Chiefs wife etiquette, and I can not wait to pin him in 6 weeks. The training is brutal and he constantly has projects to do, but I know by the time they're all done he's going to be a better man and an honorable Chief because of it. 

Awesome.  No doubt your support has helped him a ton.

Chiefs wife etiquette?!  Try not to swear like an adult hockey player!!

16 hours ago, adam14 said:

Counting down the days here until I can move from my current hometown (50k people northern Ontario) to Ottawa for post graduate studies. Astounding how accurate the stereotypes are for a "dead end town" cause that's exactly what this place is turning into. 

so, you currently live in Letterkenny?  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GreatestAmericanBeardo said:

so, you currently live in Letterkenny?  

Literally 40 minutes away from where it was filmed.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MThockeydad said:

Awesome.  No doubt your support has helped him a ton.

Chiefs wife etiquette?!  Try not to swear like an adult hockey player!!

Haha yeah my husband called me this afternoon to let me know he signed me up for it. 

• Like 1

The young pup took more hardware home today.  4 games, 1 goal allowed(crappy, because she had a great diving save, but a kid cleaned up the rebound), Champions.

image_zps19yzxyqe.jpeg

• Like 3

Day one of a much needed 16 day paid vacation. Travelling back east on Monday evening to visit my mom for five days. The girlfriend has never been to Philly or Southern NJ. A childhood friends step mom owns beachfront property in ocean city and we're going to stay there a day or two. Life is good.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, EJB said:

The young pup took more hardware home today.  4 games, 1 goal allowed(crappy, because she had a great diving save, but a kid cleaned up the rebound), Champions.

image_zps19yzxyqe.jpeg

She's getting tall!!

my 03 just passed up her mama

My girls really stepped up their hog showmanship yesterday at our county fair. 

Oldest daughter has shown 4-H pigs for 5 years, but this year she decided to enter some jackpot shows.  She was consistently beaten by a couple of kids from other counties (one was her hog breeder) and had a challenging week at the State Fair two weeks ago.  She stepped into the ring yesterday and showed her A game and took Reserve Grand Champion Senior Showmanship in her first year in the senior class.  She then took 5th place market hog out of 200 entries--she picked out the weanling pig back in March and bought it herself at auction.  She worked her ass off all summer to train her pig and her efforts really paid off.

IMG_3580_zps1tvh2qgt.jpg

Little sis was in her 3rd year, and watched big sis intently while she showed.  She stepped into the ring and upped her game about 1,000% but hadn't worked her hog as hard this summer.  While she was ready to show at  the top level, her piggy was not!  She got called back for the final junior showmanship class, but her pig didn't want to have anything to do with it and between laying down, rolling over, biting her, and trying to get into 3 fights (which the kid stopped without outside help) finally stepped on her foot and rolled onto her leg, pinning her on the ground.  She bravely kept showing and took 3rd place in Junior...and the tears flowed freely once she got back to her stall.  She's going to be very prepared next season.  I love the life lessons they're learning--radically different from hockey--but a fresh challenge in the off-season.

IMG_3524_zpsl5hzztrq.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, MThockeydad said:

My girls really stepped up their hog showmanship yesterday at our county fair. 

Oldest daughter has shown 4-H pigs for 5 years, but this year she decided to enter some jackpot shows.  She was consistently beaten by a couple of kids from other counties (one was her hog breeder) and had a challenging week at the State Fair two weeks ago.  She stepped into the ring yesterday and showed her A game and took Reserve Grand Champion Senior Showmanship in her first year in the senior class.  She then took 5th place market hog out of 200 entries--she picked out the weanling pig back in March and bought it herself at auction.  She worked her ass off all summer to train her pig and her efforts really paid off.

Little sis was in her 3rd year, and watched big sis intently while she showed.  She stepped into the ring and upped her game about 1,000% but hadn't worked her hog as hard this summer.  While she was ready to show at  the top level, her piggy was not!  She got called back for the final junior showmanship class, but her pig didn't want to have anything to do with it and between laying down, rolling over, biting her, and trying to get into 3 fights (which the kid stopped without outside help) finally stepped on her foot and rolled onto her leg, pinning her on the ground.  She bravely kept showing and took 3rd place in Junior...and the tears flowed freely once she got back to her stall.  She's going to be very prepared next season.  I love the life lessons they're learning--radically different from hockey--but a fresh challenge in the off-season.

those are some fine looking hogs.  i grew up in a butcher shop, so i only usually saw them after slaughter.    my oldest boy is pestering me for a mini pig. (yes i know, very chichi animal these days)  I'll have to show him your pics of a REAL hog and tell him he can have one when he can handle it, like your girls can  :D

• Like 1

I actually won something in hockey!  \o/!  Well, I'll chalk it up mainly to my team (tournament - a largely random assignment from the player pool) who played great, but we took home the silver and I'm pretty damn proud of how I played.  (and four games in two days oh man.)

• Like 3

Today is championship Sunday at my rink for summer league. My team finally made it in and I've been playing 3 seasons now. I'm so excited. Got family and friends going so we better win!!!!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ashtasticness said:

Today is championship Sunday at my rink for summer league. My team finally made it in and I've been playing 3 seasons now. I'm so excited. Got family and friends going so we better win!!!!!

Good luck! How did it go?

While at a fundraiser for Hockey4All (and more specifically, the Antarctic Hockey project) I won the only raffle item I cared about: a professional photographer coming to one of our games to take photos. I'm really excited! A couple teams ago we had a photographer come in and get great action shots of everyone, and we had hockey cards made up from the photos. Awesome! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

While at a fundraiser for Hockey4All (and more specifically, the Antarctic Hockey project) I won the only raffle item I cared about: a professional photographer coming to one of our games to take photos. I'm really excited! A couple teams ago we had a photographer come in and get great action shots of everyone, and we had hockey cards made up from the photos. Awesome! 

Nice!  Second to having slick jerseys, nothing makes you feel quite as spiffy as having proper action shots taken.  (well, until you see them... ;))  Lucky win! 

Had a Sunday/Monday skate, able to keep our gear in the lockerroom.  Today after the skate, did a potluck outside the rink, visited, had food and some drinks.  Stinking AWESOME two days.  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, EJB said:

Had a Sunday/Monday skate, able to keep our gear in the lockerroom.  Today after the skate, did a potluck outside the rink, visited, had food and some drinks.  Stinking AWESOME two days.  

Awesome!

Our Summer Games tourney is this upcoming weekend.

nothing like leaving your gear in the locker room to make you feel AlmostLikeAPro.  Hopefully we can do the same.  May take my motorhome to the rink for the mobile fridge/bed/tunes!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I'm not sure I'd want to leave my gear in the locker room. I can't imagine it'd be dry before the next game. Plus how would you wash your under-stuff?

No problem with it getting dry.

i laughed with the wash...  I don't wash my chit after every skate anyway, hell, if it gets a wash every 3-4 skates, doing well.

Edited by EJB

6 minutes ago, EJB said:

No problem with it getting dry.

i laughed with the wash...  I don't wash my chit after every skate anyway, hell, if it gets a wash every 3-4 skates, doing well.

heh, gross!

That's funny.  Need to do a poll, just to see.  I assumed I was quick with every week/10 days.  Know more than enough that go a month or the season.