Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Citixen

Best backyard shooting surface?

I'm making a backyard shooting area and wondering what the best backyard shooting surface is. I've heard a few different things such as: HDPE, Plexi-glass with Silicone spray and others. What is the best to get and where is the best place to get it? Suggestions appreciated.

linoleum flooring - cheap & easy. Go to a Home Depot/Lowe's type store and buy the cheapest shit they have when they're having a sale.

Whatever you end up using is going to get trashed one way or another, might as well save a few $$$ and forgo Lexan (polycarbonate) & HPDE.

HDPE is the best. Call a supplier/manufacturer and get it cheap that way, at least a quarter inch. If you're trying to put some thin linoleum down or a shooting mat on grass and it isn't stiff enough, it'll end up wobbling as you shoot. Just my opinion.

PM if you want more info.

What is HDPE and how much does it cost? I've seem some at Hockeyshot. http://www.hockeyshot.com/Hockey_Shooting_Pads_s/70.htm Those any good?

HDPE is high-density polyethylene. Correct me if I am wrong, but it's pretty much the same surface as that "practice ice" picture that vince posted a few comments back.

As for the website, you can certainly pick something up that will be alot cheaper and will do the job from a store like Home Depot etc. Or as furlanitalia said, call a HDPE manufactorer and get it cheap that way.

Call your local industrial plastic wholesaler or go the the place that has everything: www.mcmaster.com

fwiw, UHMWPE (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene) = synthetic ice; yes the stuff you can skate on. The cost is outrageous.

That's not bad. Keep in mind the quality needs to be decent enough for you to maneuver a puck on. If you can test it out that would be your best bet before buying, but for 32 sq feet that's a good price. Where is the quote from?

moving into a house soon, gonna be need one of these, just got 1 question...do you need to spray that stuff on HDPE? coz i don't want to do that

Its best to apply some sort of lubricant to any surface you have. Like mentioned earlier UHMW is gonna be the best for low friction, but you'll definitely pay for it.

linoleum flooring - cheap & easy. Go to a Home Depot/Lowe's type store and buy the cheapest shit they have when they're having a sale.

Whatever you end up using is going to get trashed one way or another, might as well save a few $$$ and forgo Lexan (polycarbonate) & HPDE.

$0.99 a square foot, spray some pam on it and its beautiful. Cant get much better for that cost/ease

or if you are lucky, one of those old white boards from a school or office that is renovating works perfect.... clean up the surface as best possible, then spray with silicone or pledge or somethng like that.

Off-cuts of UHMWPE are pretty reasonable, and it's a vastly better material than HDPE.

What's the best route for obtaining "off-cuts" of this material? 24"x96" would be awesome.

I've found some UHMWPE for about $3.50 sq ft. Problem is most places only sell it in 4' x 10' sheets. If any one is interested I can see if I can get some smaller, just fire me a PM.

I got a quote of $103 on a piece of 4'x8', 1/4 inch thick HDPE. Is this a good value?
That's not bad. Keep in mind the quality needs to be decent enough for you to maneuver a puck on. If you can test it out that would be your best bet before buying, but for 32 sq feet that's a good price. Where is the quote from?

Got the quote from Curbell Plastics. curbellplastics.com They have like 15 locations around the US.

+1 on the linoleum. If you use pledge or something like it after every couple of shots, the reaction is very ice like.

I was thinking to get either a sheet 2 1/2 feet x 5 feet or a 4' x 8'. The bigger sheet will give more puckhandling space obviously but not sure if it is just too big to move around compared to the other size. What do you all think?

I was thinking to get either a sheet 2 1/2 feet x 5 feet or a 4' x 8'. The bigger sheet will give more puckhandling space obviously but not sure if it is just too big to move around compared to the other size. What do you all think?

Ya, I'm interested in the 4x8 too, where are you getting yours from?