Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Citixen

Best backyard shooting surface?

I was thinking to get either a sheet 2 1/2 feet x 5 feet or a 4' x 8'. The bigger sheet will give more puckhandling space obviously but not sure if it is just too big to move around compared to the other size. What do you all think?

Ya, I'm interested in the 4x8 too, where are you getting yours from?

Curbell Plastics quoted me $103 or $106 for 4'x8' 1/4" HDPE

I have a sheet of 1/4" thick HDPE (2x4 i believe)that i got for about $35 shipped online from US Plastics.

How is the 2x4 size for you? Enough space for practicing wristers & stickhandling?

I made up my mind that I'm going to get a 4x8 piece of plywood (because I'm shooting on grass) and some type of cheap flooring to put on it. Any suggestion for the flooring? I'll look into linoleum. Also does anyone know what I can get to use has a netting when I miss the net?

I was thinking to get either a sheet 2 1/2 feet x 5 feet or a 4' x 8'. The bigger sheet will give more puckhandling space obviously but not sure if it is just too big to move around compared to the other size. What do you all think?

Ya, I'm interested in the 4x8 too, where are you getting yours from?

Curbell Plastics quoted me $103 or $106 for 4'x8' 1/4" HDPE

I have a sheet of 1/4" thick HDPE (2x4 i believe)that i got for about $35 shipped online from US Plastics.

How is the 2x4 size for you? Enough space for practicing wristers & stickhandling?

Haven't tried much stick handling yet (lazy i know) but shooting is fine for me.

It was 89 for pad and 189 for snipers edge tarp. You could make your own tarp to hang but I like how their's had the 5 shooting holes(targets) and the goalie on it. It should last me years. Got it at hockeyshot. If you use the NHL coupon "teamcares" it saves you 10%.

Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up, my company had an order cancel so we're sitting on 3000 sq ft of half inch puzzle cut ProSpeed Ice. Similar to UHMW HDPE, this stuff is machined with puzzle cut edges allowing for easy assembly with a rubber mallet. Price is regularly $15 per square foot, but we want to get rid of it and are blowing it out for 8 bucks a square foot.

pm if interested, mods please delete if this violates anything.

my company had an order cancel so we're sitting on 3000 sq ft of half inch puzzle cut ProSpeed Ice. Similar to UHMW HDPE,

Aren't UHMW and HDPE two different materials? HDPE (High-density polyethylene) is the material used for tape-2-tape and UHMW (Ultra high molecular weight polyethylene) is used for synthetic ice?

I was also under the impression that synthetic ice is UHMW impregnated with silicone or some other lubricant to make it a little more slippery. Is this correct?

I have a local guy blowing out some HDPE 4x8 sheets for 30 bucks. My question is that it has a "light pebble" texture to it. Would this effect anything? No pictures to look at, so I can't judge really.

Aren't UHMW and HDPE two different materials? HDPE (High-density polyethylene) is the material used for tape-2-tape and UHMW (Ultra high molecular weight polyethylene) is used for synthetic ice?

I was also under the impression that synthetic ice is UHMW impregnated with silicone or some other lubricant to make it a little more slippery. Is this correct?

Correct on both counts.

Yes, but ultra high molecular weight is still A high density polyethylene. I guess for arguments sake I shouldn't slap both abbreviations together.

Every company that produces synthetic ice uses it. If properly maintained and prepared (applied with the companies lubricant) you can do everything on it you can do on ice, just with a little more resistance forcing you to get lower in your stride and push a little bit harder. And yes, you can skate backwards on it just fine.

There's a thread here that talks a little more about it.

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index...l=synthetic+ice

Not sure why I didn't post this earlier -

With B19Kress' help I put this together for my brother for his birthday. Total cost was under $100; the bulk of that was the 4x8 sheet of hdpe (1/4inch)

photo-1.jpg

The video is of me testing the band right after I finished putting everything together. I used 6 small dowels to secure the passer to the sheet of ice with 6 small holes around the edge. I ended up giving it a good wash before giving it to my brother and it works really well. Once the weather gets nice it should be great to shoot with.

One small thing if you notice the puck bouncing a little. I got a can of Silicone based Lubricant.

Spray Lightly and wipe down so the coating is even.

However you may not need this since you used a thicker sheet.

Yah, I had to adjust the band slightly before giving it to him (it was a little low and that's why the puck was kicked up) but after washing it it has worked perfectly. I do have some concentrated lubricant at my work so if he does need any I have some ready to go.

Is there another thread where you or B19kress shows how you made that setup? I'd like to make one for my son... is tracking down a 4'x8' sheet of HDPE rather difficult?

Not at all. I've PM'd you with a local branch of the company I bought mine from, Sabid Polymershapes. (although I'm sure any plastics manufacturer can sell you some.)

i use a normal shooting pad as well. Al though i should spray something on it. Maybe it will work better.

Im' interested in making that set up in the picture above. If there somewhere i can find a way to make it?

I bought a normal shooting pad as well. Too small, though. I did see these interlocking "tiles" at a local shop here. It was about $140 for 15 1'x1' tiles. Not too sure how well they'd work, though.

Hopefully everyone is ok with me posting this.

Big Kudos to B19Kress as this is his design.

Materials:

One 10 ft 2x4

One tow strap

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Au...n.jsp?locale=en

One Dowel Kit

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/To...BAttachment.jsp

One sheet 4x8 HDPE (or any size. I bought mine from Sabid Polymershapes - google them, they're all across North America)

10-15 2.5 inch deck screws.

I know you may not have a Canadian Tire available but I figured the pictures would help. 1/4 inch dowels are all you will need, and the strap needs to be at least 10 feet long. Go with the endless ratcheting style so you can feed the strap through the ratchet. You can always cut off the excess.

Instructions.

1. Cut your 2x4 into the following pieces: 2 pieces 4 ft long, and 2 pieces roughly 4 inches long

2. Taking one of the 4 foot pieces, attach the two 4x4 blocks on each end as feet. Be sure to use a minimum of 4 screws as the tension from the tow strap will want to pull the pieces in. From the front it should look like this: (ignore the dotted lines)

|_____________________________________|

|____|---------------------------------------------|____|

3.Attach the remaining 4 foot piece to the back using however many screws are necessary. From the top it will look like this: (ignore the dotted lines)

|-----------------------------------------------------------|

4. I used 6 dowels but you can use more or less if you wish. Mine were located in the following places (roughly): (ignore the dotted lines)

|____x_________x_____x__________x_____|

|-----------------------------------------------------------|

|_x_________________________________x_|

5. You can then wrap the tow strap around and pull it tight. Positioning it about 1/8th of an inch of the ground I've found works best but you may need to adjust it slightly. Be sure to do it as tight as you can.

Sorry the pics aren't better but I don't have the system on hand. Hopefully you get the idea.