Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lkool

Tapered VS non Tapered

I am new to hockey sticks, well I should say that it's been about 15+ years and things have changed alot.

Anyways, I am looking at the various stores on the internet and some don't describe replacement blades as tapered or non tapered. Is there an industry standard/ assumption that if a blade is tapered it is labeled as such, otherwise it is not?

Your best bet for getting acquainted with the new stuff is to visit your local hockey shop and have a good look around. Company product catalogs are posted on this site but I think there is a minimum post count before you can view them. Those will tell you each company's products.

try not to confuse "short hosel" with "tapered hosel" too.

If you don't know about the product beforehand, there's almost no way to tell whether it's a tapered blade or not.

Although, correct me if I'm wrong, all retail tapered blades have shot hosels, so assuming that a blade with a long hosel is standard

would be correct.

try not to confuse "short hosel" with "tapered hosel" too.

If you don't know about the product beforehand, there's almost no way to tell whether it's a tapered blade or not.

Although, correct me if I'm wrong, all retail tapered blades have shot hosels, so assuming that a blade with a long hosel is standard

would be correct.

Correct. The long hosel tapered blades seem to be gone now. Back in the T-Flex days, Easton and a few other companies had them.

Anyways, I am looking at the various stores on the internet and some don't describe replacement blades as tapered or non tapered. Is there an industry standard/ assumption that if a blade is tapered it is labeled as such, otherwise it is not?

No, some descriptions will describe it as a "low kick" design, others will just assume you know.

There are a few websites that try to add in "this blade will only fit *** senior shafts" but not all do.

If you're looking at a certain brand or company someone can most likely let you know.

Icewarehouse keeps the two categories separate, so you can look at their site to help cross-reference.

No, some descriptions will describe it as a "low kick" design, others will just assume you know.

There are a few websites that try to add in "this blade will only fit *** senior shafts" but not all do.

If you're looking at a certain brand or company someone can most likely let you know.

Icewarehouse keeps the two categories separate, so you can look at their site to help cross-reference.

So a blade described as "Low Kick" would be a tapered blade? A regular blade must not offer the low kick type action?

Does a tapered shaft / blade combo have better balance then a standard shaft / blade combo?

I've noticed the high end tapered blades weigh less then the high end standard blades.

Also, is there a difference with puck feel between the two?

I'm less concerned about shooting and more concerned about puck fee.

Thanks

Tapered blades will weigh less than standard simply because the short hosel means there is less material. You'll also notice that tapered shafts weigh more than standard shafts for the same reason.

There is no difference in puck feel because a shaft is tapered or standard. The difference will come from blade quality and the shaft will have nothing to do with it in virtually every situation.

So a blade described as "Low Kick" would be a tapered blade? A regular blade must not offer the low kick type action?

Tapered shafts are designed to offer a better low kick then a standard shaft as the taper allows the kick point to be placed lower.

Here's a run down of different options:

Standard shaft (same dimensions at top and bottom) + Short hosel blade or Long hosel blade.

Tapered shaft (narrow at bottom to provide a lower kick point) + Tapered blade. They are narrower and always have a short hosel.

As stated above though, hop by your lhs and just get aquainted with whats out there.