Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

2 hours ago, vinprun71 said:

Found myself in this same exact situation recently. Not as many years invested as you, but when you've invested so much time and effort into your team and see it go south for many reasons, it's quite upsetting.

Took an impromptu poll in the locker room after a game and it was all "meh" and shoulder shrugs... I knew, at that point, the team was done.

14 hours ago, JoeyJ0506 said:

Took an impromptu poll in the locker room after a game and it was all "meh" and shoulder shrugs... I knew, at that point, the team was done.

I got a similar reaction out of the more seasoned players on the team that have been there since the beginning. They'd rather kill it off than continue. Best case scenario we try again in the Spring. Worse case, we don't play together again.

@Holmes_D_83 sure has me beat..... you are lucky to be alive after battling sepsis. God bless, my prayers are with you. 

In my case it's been a rough run.... pulled adductor led to hernia and torn groin.  Had hernia surgery and rehabbing the groin and close to coming back last week when I started to get severe headaches and then woke up with double vision.  Went to the ER and spent the day in the hospital getting CT scan and MRI.  Thankfully the ruled out stroke, aneurysm and brain tumor. Yesterday I was diagnosed with 3rd nerve palsy.  That nerve controls muscles in my left eye. They say it should resolve in about 3 months but it's very disorienting and I still have some residual headaches.  My team is leaving for Montreal next week Nd I plan The whole thing and now I can't play. WF is three weeks later and there little to no chance I can skate at that.  Two season on two teams playing a total of 3 games at a cost of over 1200 bucks. Driving is hard.... I'm really out of sorts and this really sucks. Oh, and I have to wear a patch or glasses with a fogged lenses to avoid seeing double. FML

36 minutes ago, vinprun71 said:

I got a similar reaction out of the more seasoned players on the team that have been there since the beginning. They'd rather kill it off than continue. Best case scenario we try again in the Spring. Worse case, we don't play together again.

Similar plan here, take a season off, then see what everyone feels like in the early spring. Part of the issue is the Penguins opening their two-sheet practice complex. Western Pennsylvania is saturated with rinks and leagues (not a bad thing at all) but I have guys playing on 3, 4, and even 5 teams... So, at the end of the day, playing an 11:40pm Sunday night game on a 1/2-sized rink (with exceptionally bad ice to boot) is not enough to get people off the couch.  I cannot blame anyone, to be honest, but It just got to the point where begging people to show so we have 5-6 skaters and a goalie was getting tiresome. Not to mention constantly having to dip into my money to cover people that could not be bothered to pay on time/at all.

3 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

@Holmes_D_83 sure has me beat..... you are lucky to be alive after battling sepsis. God bless, my prayers are with you. 

In my case it's been a rough run.... pulled adductor led to hernia and torn groin.  Had hernia surgery and rehabbing the groin and close to coming back last week when I started to get severe headaches and then woke up with double vision.  Went to the ER and spent the day in the hospital getting CT scan and MRI.  Thankfully the ruled out stroke, aneurysm and brain tumor. Yesterday I was diagnosed with 3rd nerve palsy.  That nerve controls muscles in my left eye. They say it should resolve in about 3 months but it's very disorienting and I still have some residual headaches.  My team is leaving for Montreal next week Nd I plan The whole thing and now I can't play. WF is three weeks later and there little to no chance I can skate at that.  Two season on two teams playing a total of 3 games at a cost of over 1200 bucks. Driving is hard.... I'm really out of sorts and this really sucks. Oh, and I have to wear a patch or glasses with a fogged lenses to avoid seeing double. FML

That sucks!  Hope it resolves itself much sooner.  But looking on the bright side, if you wear an eye patch you can totally get away with acting like a pirate.

• Like 1

Been fighting with my anxiety to get up the will power to go back to school for the past two years. In September on my 30th birthday I decided enough was enough. I went and applied, got accepted, went to put through my credits from previous school work and they only accept 6 credit hours.

Kind of disappointing when you have an accumulated 66 credit hours towards an art degree you never finished. As well as successful completion of an EMS Program at an accredited college (In going back to be a medical laboratory technologist). But it is what it is

I meet with the advisor and she tells me my experience is satisfactory and the only general ed credits I need to complete to move forward are BIO201 and CHE101. I need to complete these in the spring to be accepted into the MLT program next fall.

I go to register for classes today and it tells me I'm missing 4 prerequisites for those two goddamn classes and won't let me register for them. Which puts all of my plans back a year.

It may not seem like a huge ordeal but for someone with an anxiety disorder who has been struggling to make this move for years it feels like my entire world got turned upside down. 

the whole advisor program can be kind of sketchy, if you get someone that doesn't really know the ins and outs. I went to see an advisor once for my dual degree program, and was told i needed to take two classes within a couple of clusters for some prereqs, got about a month into my classes for the semester, went back and looked myself at the prereqs. scheduled a meeting with another advisor, and was told i didn't need them afterall. the courses were pretty trivial, so at that point i just decided to take the drops, work some more hours, and really improve my hacky sack game.

25 minutes ago, kmfdm86 said:

Been fighting with my anxiety to get up the will power to go back to school for the past two years. In September on my 30th birthday I decided enough was enough. I went and applied, got accepted, went to put through my credits from previous school work and they only accept 6 credit hours.

Kind of disappointing when you have an accumulated 66 credit hours towards an art degree you never finished. As well as successful completion of an EMS Program at an accredited college (In going back to be a medical laboratory technologist). But it is what it is

I meet with the advisor and she tells me my experience is satisfactory and the only general ed credits I need to complete to move forward are BIO201 and CHE101. I need to complete these in the spring to be accepted into the MLT program next fall.

I go to register for classes today and it tells me I'm missing 4 prerequisites for those two goddamn classes and won't let me register for them. Which puts all of my plans back a year.

It may not seem like a huge ordeal but for someone with an anxiety disorder who has been struggling to make this move for years it feels like my entire world got turned upside down. 

FasTrak toll fees. Or, more specifically, toll fee pre-pay replenishments.

Basically, your usage has to be pre-paid, so they basically pull an amount from your bank account and into your FasTrak account (just like a Starbucks card, for example) to cover your toll fees “based on your usage pattern". Except this month they pulled $250 more than my highest EVER toll usage amount ($180). WHY??

Sounds like their algorithm to calculate your usage pattern is REALLY broken. 

To use the Starbucks card analogy again, that's like topping up your card with $50 to buy a coffee. Eventually you'll use it, sure. But it still sucks at the time. At least with Starbucks I can just tap a button on my phone to top it up, and I get to choose the amount. 

At least you use the toll fees. I have the transponder just to get into the carpool lane and have to keep a balance even though I rarely use it solo. 

1 hour ago, SirJW said:

At least you use the toll fees. I have the transponder just to get into the carpool lane and have to keep a balance even though I rarely use it solo. 

My commute would go from 20 minutes to over an hour if I didn't use it. I-15 south from San Marcos to Rancho Bernardo.

Ill save more in tolls with the Model 3 than I will in gas. 

I was rear ended in a car accident last week and I had to miss my hockey game on Wednesday because my back was super stiff.

I haven't actually enjoyed playing hockey as a skater in months. Not sure if it is the tiny and horrible ice that has you falling anywhere or the people we are playing with but it is getting to the point that I have to drag myself to go out and play.

Goalie is a totally different story though so that is good.

53 minutes ago, Hills said:

I haven't actually enjoyed playing hockey as a skater in months. Not sure if it is the tiny and horrible ice that has you falling anywhere or the people we are playing with but it is getting to the point that I have to drag myself to go out and play.

Goalie is a totally different story though so that is good.

I'm with you there. It was becoming less and less fun.

Then I kind of missed it a bit after going full time goalie, played 4 games, and had some idiot break my ankle. So... that sure put an end to that... 

16 years ago people told me the sky was falling, it didn't. 8 years ago other people told me the sky was falling, it didn't. This is the USA and we'll survive just like we always have.

• Like 6

On 11/7/2016 at 10:26 AM, Hills said:

I haven't skated in almost two months. First game of the season I got yet another cheap shot and just haven't bothered to go back. 

About an inch of one of my incisions is obviously and ickily infected.  On the upside, I was already put on antibiotics on Wednesday at my follow up, so that should clear things up.

12 hours ago, Chadd said:

I haven't skated in almost two months. First game of the season I got yet another cheap shot and just haven't bothered to go back. 

Late in a game last night I had a kid bury me in front of the net with a crosscheck to the back. He was shocked that I would go back at him saying, "You were setting up camp in front". Dude, this isn't the waning seconds of game 7.

• Like 1

Pretty depressing that these aren't isolated incidents. I recently had to turn down an offer to play with a bunch of my good friends simply because men's league is a sanctuary for the civilly challenged. And it isn't cheap, either. The way I see it, if you're not enjoying yourself, your money's not well spent.

• Like 4

Winterfest will be my first time on player skates since some game 7 hero broke my ankle in June. Absolutely no plans to play in that league again. I ended up only playing 4 games total that season, too. That's some expensive hockey! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Burning Bear said:

Pretty depressing that these aren't isolated incidents. I recently had to turn down an offer to play with a bunch of my good friends simply because men's league is a sanctuary for the civilly challenged. And it isn't cheap, either. The way I see it, if you're not enjoying yourself, your money's not well spent.

This is why I stopped volunteering to play goal for my company's scrimmages.  They were crazy.  Goons to each other and spent the whole time screaming at me.  I really wanted to enjoy it (hey, I like working there), but I just couldn't.

On 11/1/2016 at 9:38 AM, dkmiller3356 said:

no updates in a fortnight @dkmiller3356, you still doing okay? 

Edited by GreatestAmericanBeardo
  • Like 1

In the past few weeks, I had sold all my spares sticks, shafts and blades, along with some other gear. Thought I needed to update what I had and am happy with the purchases I made. I ended up with only two sticks left, both which I brought to the Sunday night game. 

I have two of the same make, just different model. Been using the lower end model as its a lower flex, but decided to use the higher end model this game. I bought the higher end model about 3 months ago, but could not get it immediately due to me being in Australia. Had to ship it to a buddy in the US, who then had to resend it to me in Australia... Total time with this stick is about 10 min of ice time. 

Warm up was great, stick really crisp and pucks hitting top corners with some zip. Played about 3 shifts with it, really controlling it well. Blocked a slapper with the shaft, and I think the puck really struck the shaft dead on. 2 shifts later I got the puck and was about to do a snapper... and snapped the shaft about 1/3 from the top. It was a really weird spot for the stick to snap there, and everyone on my team said 'wtf'. 

Not happy that the stick broke with only about 10min of ice time with it. I thought it had really good feel and good zip off the blade. Dont think it can go on warranty because its about 3months since purchase, but obviously didnt get any usage during shipping time within the US and to me in Australia.