Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

lost the championship game tonight.  Most of their team was well above D level talent. But oh well that's how it goes sometimes.

Islanders tickets are dirt cheap - 25$ to see them play the Sharks in good, non obstructed seats! Unless they play Canadian teams (except the Sens), when the tickets go up to nearly $7000. 

The boss at my "fun" job (not EMS) has been being a bit of a bastard lately - he takes a stripe off us for making any kind of mistake or belittles us for asking for questions/clarification, in front of the customers no less, and I'm pretty sure he's made at least one of my co-workers cry.  On top of that, it's not consistent - you never know that day if you'll get Good Boss or Bad Boss, and while he occasionally apologizes, he follows up the apology with a justification of his behavior ("I'm sorry I was frustrated and snapped at you, BUT you're being frustrating" etc).  Rumor has it the management is under new pressure from their bosses, which happens, but belittling us or yelling at us doesn't give us the opportunity to help.  Some days, I just want to stop him mid-sentence and say, look, is the customer actively on fire right now?  No?  Do we lack the resources to handle this situation? No? Great, this is not a crisis, and it can be handled without a fuss.

He's in the process of having meetings with all the desk staff (by 2's and 3's) and I am not looking forward to it at all. 

30 minutes ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Typo?

Nope. Isles - Leafs on 3/30. 

I cant find it now, so maybe a typo, but I did see it yesterday.

1 hour ago, chippa13 said:

Because they're still paying DiPietro?

Wasn't even thinking of that, but yes.

Add Andrew Ladd to that list. And Snow. 

Thursday night I left class on time (a bit early, even!), thinking about how excited I was to get up at o-dark-thirty to go to Montreal and play hockey.

Not even a mile from school, making a left (I had green), and another driver drove right on through the red light.  Hit me up on the driver's side wheel, destroyed my car.  By a matter of inches, I was largely unhurt- burns from the airbag, a bruised chest (airbag), general bruising, etc. I was also very fortunate that my medic classmate was right behind me and, aside from witnessing the incident, kept me calm (as possible) and called 911.  Two more of my classmates showed up as well. I cannot express how grateful I am for their support when I was scared out of my wits.  The paramedics who took me to the ER were also great.  I was discharged within a couple of hours. My car is a loss, and I keep having minor flashbacks to the incident, but physically pretty much alright.  I still played in the tournament (rented a car. Don't like to break promises.) But very happy to be coming home to friends. 

Howdy,

The new team my wife and I are playing on has a "locker room music guy" who also likes to give lots of advice and direction to others out on the ice.

Sigh.

Mark

I finally did it.  I left my helmet at home.  I was called last minute to sub for this team.  I hade about 15 minutes to get to the rink which is 10 minutes from my house and get ready.  I quickly pack up all my stuff and forgot the helmet.  I had to borrow one from the rink a Bauer 5000 with a scratched up Bauer half shield.  I had to tilt the visor the whole game because I just couldn't see through it.  I normally wear a cage so I was very uncomfortable out there.  I scored a goal the team still lost.  I just felt bad because I just couldn't give 100% without a cage.

I got scolded last night in my weekly private pick up game for going after a puck in the crease.  The scenario was I took a shot from the hash marks the goalie blocked it.  I rushed the net going for the loose puck as the goalie was dropping down to cover it.  I still made contact with the puck before the goalie could cover it.  The goalie yelled at me and the guy who runs the skate (a friend of mine) skated towards me yelling "We don't do that.  That's a dead puck."

Seriously wondering was I wrong in this situation?  Loose puck we are playing a game.  I know we don't keep score and me scoring wouldn't matter, but we try to emulate game scenarios and not half ass the skate.

1 hour ago, strosedefence34 said:

I got scolded last night in my weekly private pick up game for going after a puck in the crease.  The scenario was I took a shot from the hash marks the goalie blocked it.  I rushed the net going for the loose puck as the goalie was dropping down to cover it.  I still made contact with the puck before the goalie could cover it.  The goalie yelled at me and the guy who runs the skate (a friend of mine) skated towards me yelling "We don't do that.  That's a dead puck."

Seriously wondering was I wrong in this situation?  Loose puck we are playing a game.  I know we don't keep score and me scoring wouldn't matter, but we try to emulate game scenarios and not half ass the skate.

As a goalie who plays both pickup and league every week, yes you were wrong. There's a big difference between going for a rebound or loose puck, and trying to jam in a puck the goalie is about to cover. 

13 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

As a goalie who plays both pickup and league every week, yes you were wrong. There's a big difference between going for a rebound or loose puck, and trying to jam in a puck the goalie is about to cover. 

I can see where you are coming from but the goalie wasn't that close to covering it.  They were going to cover it.  I would see they were in a butterfly but their catcher was still chest to stomach hight defiantly above the leg pad.  I saw the puck as a loose puck in the crease.  I could have been a little more descriptive.  Like I said these pickups are usually game paced. 

Edited by strosedefence34

4 minutes ago, strosedefence34 said:

I can see where you are coming from but the goalie wasn't that close to covering it.  They were going to cover it.  I would see they were in a butterfly but their catcher was still chest to stomach hight defiantly above the leg pad.  I saw the puck as a loose puck in the crease.  I could have been a little more descriptive.  Like I said these pickups are usually game paced. 

Still think you're wrong, sorry. And apparently they do too, which is the only thing that matters. 

3 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Still think you're wrong, sorry. And apparently they do too, which is the only thing that matters. 

That's fair thanks for the perspective.  Not trying to add fuel to the fire the other goalie thought the play was fine I will give Goalie A benefit of the doubt since it was them and Goalie B was at the other end of the ice.  Other players on the ice didn't see an issue with it except for the guy who runs the pickup.  Just frustrating. 

1 minute ago, strosedefence34 said:

That's fair thanks for the perspective 

I'm going to sound like a dick when I say this but I can't think of a better way to put it that wouldn't require us going in circles. That move screams "try-hard", and in my experience try-hard moves don't go over well in pickup. 

Now if that happens to me in our pickups, what generally happens is the guy says "sorry goalie, saw the puck loose" which will almost always get a "no worries, all good" response. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I'm going to sound like a dick when I say this but I can't think of a better way to put it that wouldn't require us going in circles. That move screams "try-hard", and in my experience try-hard moves don't go over well in pickup. 

Now if that happens to me in our pickups, what generally happens is the guy says "sorry goalie, saw the puck loose" which will almost always get a "no worries, all good" response. 

You don't sound like a dick.  It was a try-hard move because this is a game paced private pick up.  It is full of 20 or so try-hards.  I can go to a "normal" pick up and I would never rush the net like I did last night.  And to be honest a sorry goalie from this goalie would not get a "no worries response" id get a laundry list of reasons why that was the worst thing I could possibly do to them.  This goalie tends to be a bit of a crier.  Some rushing down the wing and made a move to more of a scoring position beamed them in the head last week with a wrister and apologized and the goalie went off on them as to why they should shoot lower.  

I should also say there have been similar situations where the puck was loose in the crease and Goalie B has been scrambling trying to cover it and people have taken wacks at it as well with no one saying anything.  I think I was just the one to get caught.  Oh well.

You've covered two taboo plays in pick-up hockey; jabbing at the goalie and shooting head high. I'm guessing next will be guys hooking all over the ice and the guy who whacks your stick when you're nowhere near the play.

4 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

You've covered two taboo plays in pick-up hockey; jabbing at the goalie and shooting head high. I'm guessing next will be guys hooking all over the ice and the guy who whacks your stick when you're nowhere near the play.

Fair enough I'm the dick