Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Citixen

Gloves: Eagle PPF vs. Easton Pro Customs?

I am in the market for new hockey gloves and I have been persuing Easton Pro Custom gloves, but I was in my LHS today and tried on the Eagle PPF's, wow what a glove! I have heard some excellent things about the Easton Pro Custom gloves (lightest + most protective glove in NHL) but from what I've see they are all standard beige coloured palms, won't these get crusty? Like these. I haven't had the chance to try on some Pro Customs, how do they typically fit? One of the big factors for the Eagle's for me was the finger mobility and the lush palm (grey material - mustang?) what's it called? Is it true Eagles are either Senior (fits like a 15") it did feel a little roomier than the other 14" gloves (E-Pros, Warriors) or Intermediate (13")? So my question is, what is a better glove? Anyone have experience with both pairs? How do they fit in comparison to each other?

* How can you tell the differences from Customs and E-Pros online? Is there something to lookout for?

Thanks

Eagle's grey palm is the MSH2. Softest, most durable palm I've used. They won't get crusty or hard either. I've had my X72's for probably 8 months, which have the MSH2 palm with an MSH1 overlay. The MSH1 had a hole in it after a month or so, but the MSH2 under it still looks brand new. I also bought some X88's and after a few weeks of use, you can see where my stick rubs on the palm, but it hasn't worn it down at all. I think the PPF's fit like a 14.5", where the PPFi's are a 13". Personally I would go with the Eagle's.

I am in the market for new hockey gloves and I have been pursuing Easton Pro Custom gloves, but I was in my LHS today and tried on the Eagle PPF's, wow what a glove! I have heard some excellent things about the Easton Pro Custom gloves (lightest + most protective glove in NHL) but from what I've see they are all standard beige coloured palms, won't these get crusty? Like these. I haven't had the chance to try on some Pro Customs, how do they typically fit? One of the big factors for the Eagle's for me was the finger mobility and the lush palm (grey material - mustang?) what's it called? Is it true Eagles are either Senior (fits like a 15") it did feel a little roomier than the other 14" gloves (E-Pros, Warriors) or Intermediate (13")? So my question is, what is a better glove?

* How can you tell the differences from Customs and E-Pros online? Is there something to lookout for?

I can't speak of the Easton Pros but the Eagle sizing works like this:

PPFi = 13 inch

PPF = 14 inch

PPF+ = 15 inch

imo the fingers on the PPFi gloves are a little longer than Easton's sizing. I'm willing to live with it for the extra quality that Eagle gloves have.

I wear a 15" glove but can make a 14" work in most cases. The PPF was just a smidge short for my tastes, and the PPF+ has that ungodly cuff extension.

I had a set of pro stock Eastons and have handled a few other sets. They were alright. Require a decent amount of break-in since the fingers come with a bit of precurve and you need to work them to be able to easily open your hand. They weren't soft, but they were light and felt like tanks. It might just be the gloves I've dealt with, but most were kind of stubby and wide.

I go for a set of Eagles personally. If I had the money for customs I'd go with Eagle hands down. The retail PPF is hard to beat for off-the-shelf comfort and mobility IMO.

Warriors always felt a bit soft to me. Like the gussets wouldn't hold up and the glove would wear faster than competitors. Kind of like the pillowy feel of a Bauer 4-roll without the bulk to make your hands feel safe.

The easton SE looking pro glove is a fricking tank, but still very light on the hands. Not as comfortable as warriors or 4 rolls, but just as mobile. To me it is the best balance of features in a pro glove. Hard to come by on ebay though.

The easton SE looking pro glove is a fricking tank, but still very light on the hands. Not as comfortable as warriors or 4 rolls, but just as mobile. To me it is the best balance of features in a pro glove. Hard to come by on ebay though.

I've used my Eastons a couple times and have been pretty pleased with them. The Eagles were more comfy right away, but I'm sure with use the Eastons will be better. Will be trying out some new Reebok 9K pro returns also probably in a game on next Wed.

Just got some S19 gloves into the shop and if you put them up vs the PPF I think it is a no brainer since the S19 is almost $100 less then the PPF... and this coming from someone who has PPF gloves

Just got some S19 gloves into the shop and if you put them up vs the PPF I think it is a no brainer since the S19 is almost $100 less then the PPF... and this coming from someone who has PPF gloves

$100 cheaper?! What are your prices on those two gloves? From what I can see PPF's go for $180-$200 from a store, cheaper on ebay. Do you have S19's for $100?

Either way, I've never found anything that made me as happy as my PPF gloves! The palm is unreal and the tufftek still looks as new as the day I bought them...for $120 new on here...

I said almost. When the PPF's first came out they were over $200 in some shops. S19 gloves are going for $129. I agree with you on the PPF as I have had a pair since they first came out, but I will say if you put on the two gloves I would be going with the S19 if you are paying retail for eaither. Just my opinion

Regarding the difference in price on S19 vs PPF, it's all about where the gloves are made. Import S19 vs Canadian made PPF. Is that TuffTek and an MSH2 palm on the S19? I don't think so. Those are 2 other differences in what the two gloves are built with that also reflect price. Look past the price and you can see what makes up the difference. Feel is not the only feature you are paying for.

Trust me, I completely understand why there is a price difference. In a shop setting, you put the S19 on someone and a PPF on someone, I think a lot of customers are going to pick the S19 over the PPF. In the limited time we have had the S19 in the shop, that is what every customer has said. For the majority of customers it doesn't matter where the gloves are made, but how they feel and how they look. I have used nothing but Eagle gloves for the last 9 years and love my PPF gloves, but needing a new pair of gloves here soon, I will most likely go with the S19.

Trust me, I completely understand why there is a price difference. In a shop setting, you put the S19 on someone and a PPF on someone, I think a lot of customers are going to pick the S19 over the PPF. In the limited time we have had the S19 in the shop, that is what every customer has said. For the majority of customers it doesn't matter where the gloves are made, but how they feel and how they look. I have used nothing but Eagle gloves for the last 9 years and love my PPF gloves, but needing a new pair of gloves here soon, I will most likely go with the S19.

Who would pick s19's over ppf's? Ppf's are like the Cadillac of gloves! I regret my custom franchise's every single shift, if i could have it over again i would for sure buy eagle ppf's .. anyone wanna trade warriors in black yellow and red for a pair of pretty much new 14 inch ppf's, inbox me.

The pro Easton glove is very protective but the fingers tend to have an issue opening up with the way they are cut. The standard palm is very nice but obviously thicker than MSH2, probably thicker than MSH1 with MSH2 like the newer PPFs have. The Eastons are more protective, high-density foam in the backrolls and fingers with plastic inserts all over and a lock thumb are standard features. The Eagles are more mobile and soft.

There are sizing differences, Easton's fingers are slightly longer than Eagle. A standard 13" Easton pro stock glove is a 14" fit with a short cuff.

They also have different versions of the pro stock(or custom order) Easton glove. Mostly the Eastons have plastic inserts in the fingers that are sandwiched between the foam, some don't have the plastic inserts.. but those are rather rare in true pro stock gloves(from what I've seen). There are also the obvious cuff variations.

The "SE16" pro stock glove is typically a little different than the standard 4-roll. It's a little bit lower density foam and the plastic inserts on the backhand have a very soft foam on top, this stops the rubbing of the plastic against the shell of the glove and makes it look a little puffy.

The "E-Pro" retail glove sucks.

Next time for the sake of discussion, offer them both gloves at the S19 price. "What if you could have either PPF or S19 at $120? Choose one." Eliminate price from the equation. Just curious. Let us know what they choose. The graphic is also helping to sell the S19 a bit. I didn't order the S19 for the shop. Adding another glove to $$$ inventory this late in the selling season is not always a good idea for your bottom line. Sorry, just shop talk there.

I currently have pro return Eastons (Timander) and the palms have been terrible. I skate 2 times a week and have had them for just over a year. I have huge hole and more forming. I have been thinking about the PPF+.

Is the MSH2 Palm significantly different than the retail palm? If so, How? What would be more durable? I am not concerned with break in time... I am worried about durability. Do I have to custom order them to get that palm or is a retail venue carrying them?

I have the Easton Pro 4 rolls, and I skate at least twice a week...I use grip sticks, and I sweat alot. The palms on mine are absolutely tanks. Only some discorloration as piling from tape. I know that MSH2 may be even more durable, but I find it hard to believe that the Easton pro 4 rolls have palm durability issues.

The local travel program uses red gloves, so we only ordered a couple pairs of the S19 gloves since all we could get was black right now, but now is when we also have been getting a lot of Roller kids gearing up for their season and that is at least half of our business. We don't really have many gloves at that $129 price point. A lot at the $99 and then you get the higher end eagles closer to $200

I currently have pro return Eastons (Timander) and the palms have been terrible. I skate 2 times a week and have had them for just over a year. I have huge hole and more forming. I have been thinking about the PPF+.

Is the MSH2 Palm significantly different than the retail palm? If so, How? What would be more durable? I am not concerned with break in time... I am worried about durability. Do I have to custom order them to get that palm or is a retail venue carrying them?

my PPFi gloves are retail and came with the MSH2 palm. that thing is like BUTTER!

MSH2 is the thinnest and most durable palm available. I don't think I've ever seen MSH2 that has a hole worn through it. My custom Eagles have a single layer MSH2 palm and despite them being used more than 40 times, there's nothing more than tape residue on them.

also if anyone in the market for Eagle PPF gloves, try to buy older model (black Canada flag tag in cuff corner) as I tried the new models out today and they are pretty stiff compared to the soft buttery older models

Thanks for all the replies, I am definatley going to peruse the PPFs. The light weight feel, mobility and soft MSH2 palms are the big motivating factors.

also if anyone in the market for Eagle PPF gloves, try to buy older model (black Canada flag tag in cuff corner) as I tried the new models out today and they are pretty stiff compared to the soft buttery older models

Interesting... why would they change the feel that had so much success? Don't all the EAGLE PPFs have the black CDN flag tag?

When Eagle was sold, they moved the position of the flag in the glove. easy way to tell if you have eagles that are pre or post the sale.

I have the Easton Pro 4 rolls, and I skate at least twice a week...I use grip sticks, and I sweat alot. The palms on mine are absolutely tanks. Only some discorloration as piling from tape. I know that MSH2 may be even more durable, but I find it hard to believe that the Easton pro 4 rolls have palm durability issues.

I can take pictures if you dont believe me...

What retail stores sell the MSH2 palm or is that standard on the PPF?

MSH2 palm is standard on the PPF and last year's X72's. Only difference was the PFF had a double layer MSH2 palm where the X72 had an MSH2 palm with an MSH1 overlay. This year the X72's and X88's have a Nash palm with MSH2 overlays on the palm and the thumb.