Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

skarbro

Safest helmets

So are we just going to name the most expensive helmet for each brand? You really have no idea whether the S19 or the M11 are any safer than any other helmet. You haven't tested either against other helmets and there is no Consumer Reports-like group doing relatively unbiased testing of hockey helmets. Both have passed HECC and CSA testing, does that mean they are perfectly equal in protection?

The best we can do is offer personal opinion and experience. Mine is that my CCM V08 has protected me against several solid thumps without failing or causing any long term pain or injury. Of course if a V08 doesn't fit you, my opinion is meaningless. Nor would I call wearing a helmet for about a 100 beer league games a thorough test.

The best bet is to find a helmet that fits comfortably and doesn't easily shift on your head. If you find two different styles of helmets that fit equally well, compare features and make up your mind for yourself.

I should have qualified what I was looking for in the OP. I realize that fit is the most important factor. I was just targetting the safest helmets in "general" first. I would like to try them on for fit after building some kind of shopping list. Heck I could end up with a lower end model if none of the most expensive ones fit.

I'll give the Bauer 5100 a thumbs up. (But I don't know if it's the safest)

In a beer league game I got tangled up with a guy chasing into the corner and went sliding into the boards head first with my 5100. Impact was to the side of the helmet and I came up with no ill effects (luckily my head was up and I could turn it). We both tried to stop before falling so we weren't sliding super fast, but it was the weight of two adults.

What are the safest current/future hockey helmets out there to prevent concussions?

There is no helmet that will "prevent" a concussion. The best (re: safest) helmet is the one that fits your head properly and is done up properly.

There is no helmet that will "prevent" a concussion. The best (re: safest) helmet is the one that fits your head properly and is done up properly.

Honestly, you have to know what I mean. Everyone knows that nothing will prevent concussions and that the fit is the most important factor. Maybe I should have worded it to ask what are the best helmets to minimize the chances of concussions - or the helmets with the best ability to soften impacts.

The best helmets are the top end ones. That's why they're top end, they have a lot more effort put into them in making them protective. The 5100 or a 4500 will not be as protective as a 9500, sorry. The VN may make them more comfortable or cooler looking, but not more protective.

S19 and the M11 both made fairly large leaps in design that increase safety. But you do have to remember that even the nicest helmet won't protect well unless it fits.

+1 on the 5100 from bauer.

Got nailed into the boards headfirst and came out of it no worse for wear. I do not think its just as simple as saying its not good because it is VN foam. It has the hex-sorb material as well which is "supposed" to be a light weight impact absorbing material. The helmet is classified as a triple layer foam. I could be wrong, but for the price I think it is great protection. Im curious about this topic though because I need to get another helmet for away games.

How does the 5100 compare to the 5500? The 5100 is cheaper, but the two appear to be completely different designs as far as materials.

5500 uses EPP foams ( black, hard foam inside bike helmets ) which is supposed to greatly help protect against concussions. 5100 has an outer layer of hex-sorb , middle of VN foam , and a layer of comfort foam . I believe the 5500 is actually one of the most popular helmets historically, and the 5100 is a fairly new helmet.

The new Easton I think it's the s19. I think it comes out in the spring.

What are you basing your opinion on if you have not worn or seen it?

How does the 5100 compare to the 5500? The 5100 is cheaper, but the two appear to be completely different designs as far as materials.

IMO the 5100 fits similar to a 4500

Yes the 5100 is a narrow helmet. The 5500, Mission Intake, and M11 are the only helmets that fit my head.

Remember that there are injuries from two different things with regards to concussions...

1) the initial impact..this, the helmet can help mitigate

and

2) the secondary injury to the brain from it sloshing around and hitting the inside of your skull...this injury, no helmet can help.

Yeah, the Intake and 5500 were shallow fitting, which is why I liked them. I can't remember if the M11 was shallow or not, but it fit my head really well.

Any opinions on the 9500 or the 8500? The 9900 looks like it will be worth the wait at 20% lighter than the 9500.

Yeah, the Intake and 5500 were shallow fitting, which is why I liked them. I can't remember if the M11 was shallow or not, but it fit my head really well.

imo, the m11 was a deep fitting helmet. would you say the 5500 fit as wide as the ccm v08?

I have tried on a M11 and compared it directly to my Bauer 5000, and the way the Cascade cradles the head and creates a support system for the skull is much more than just about all of the other companies helmets....including my current lid. To me and the research I have read and done, the M11 will be my next helmet of choice. I am aware of the fact that the RBK 9k has the cradle thingy in the back too, but i am not quite a fan of how flimsy the shell feels.

I've worn the 8k, 8000, 5000, 9500, and tried on the S19. Got a concussion in the 8000 from a hit to the side of my head. The S19 is the stiffest shell out there, and if it disperses the impact well it certainly will is the safest. I understand the m11 cradles well as does the 8k but they are flimsy. I would trust my head in the S19 based on everything else out there if it fits.

I've been wondering about the S19. I definitely will be trying one one before making a final decision. I just saw a guy with one in the locker room this weekend. He was going on and on about how comfortable it is.