Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bob_flip

Nike Bauer Pro Defender Shoulder pads

Hi All,

I have used search, but found nothing. Any opinions appreciated!

I wear pro defender shoulder pads, shins and elbows, got a lot of hits and haven't complaints at all. I had play like defender on last week, instead of buddy. I'm pretty sure about the shins and elbows, but not sure about the shoulder pads. They are very mobile and light, but left uncovered lot of body place, and are thin enough. I fear that some slap shots can seriously injure me.

Someone has an experience with that?

Hey Bob,

I have both NBH Pro Defender as well as Reebok 9k shoulders. I'm a six-foot-one forward, and weigh about 215 pounds - I wear XL in both. The Pro Defenders are definitely lighter and seem to cover less of my torso, but I think that they're pretty protective. While I'm not recklessly crashing into people out there, I've taken several decent hits per game, as well as a few wrist/snapshots to the chest, and haven't had any problems. I haven't taken any slapshots to the chest, though.

While they're not as protective as my 9k pads, I think that they're OK. I play in a pretty competitive (30-40 year-old) men's league, so it's not exactly NHL-level competition, but I've been fine in the Pro Defenders. I love the weight and range of motion that they provide.

However, if you're not comfortable in them, I'd suggest that you switch pads. It's not worth wearing something if you're not comfortable in it.

Thanks for answer Dr.Funk!

Actually this shoulders is most comfortable for me. I never feeling it on me, and not going to change it. I have almost same incoming, excluding weight(my is 180). Just met the guy yesterday, he has crazy powered and unaiming slap shot :D

I've been wearing the pro defender shoulders for about two years now and have had no problems with it playing in fairly rough bantam and u16 AA/AAA leagues/tournaments. Playing D I block shots and hit often and have had no problems except getting hit with a slapper straight in the gut. Where the pad is actually present there is amazing protection. Hope this helps.

I think they only go down to medium, so that's probably what you're going to have to go with.

Where is that weight? Build is more important then height and weight for shoulders. Broad shoulders and torso, or slim?

If you knew your chest ans shoulder measurements, it would help, but you're safe going with a medium.

I was looking at getting some pro defenders but i am not sure what size to get, I am 5'9 140. thanks for the help

I am 6'1 and 180, use a shoulders size L. On the label is printed height 5'9 - 6'1, chest 40" - 44". But size M should fit better for you.

my chest is 36, 37 give or take a little

also how do these compare to the lightspeed model

I never used lightspeed model. I think that has same sizing.

I'm very interested in picking up a pair of these, but I have a few questions. First, are the XXL pads truly huge? I'm 6'1" and a solid 240 (with a bit of beer gut). Most XL gear works well for me. I'm right between XL and XXL in most t-shirts. I'm looking for a light, breathable pad. The amount of protection is much less important. I'd actually prefer something pretty minimal, since I skate well, and will be using it mostly for pretty mellow, non-contact hockey.

Thanks in advance for any input!

It is a lot of shoulderpad for non-contact hockey. You should look at something lower-end (and cheaper)! The supreme One40 would be good for a laid back beer league.