Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MIAPlayer

How Do You Take Your Hockey Gear On An Airplane?

I try to eliminate as many problems as I can. If you use a stick bag, tape the straps to the bag so they don't snag on something.

In your first it states that you can have your gear and 2 sticks separate, but only counting as one item. Taping them together is possible, i have done this to save money on baggage too (air canada, wtf?) but its risky, if they come apart one of the items wont have any tags on it.

In your first it states that you can have your gear and 2 sticks separate, but only counting as one item. Taping them together is possible, i have done this to save money on baggage too (air canada, wtf?) but its risky, if they come apart one of the items wont have any tags on it.

This !

i have never flown with my gear, i'm wondering can you bring the sticks on the plain and get the flight attendant to store it somewhere, i did that with a guitar before. ?

Last year I flew from DFW to Toronto with my roller hockey gear & stick blades in my hockey bag & my shafts Velcroed together & wrapped in bubble wrap that I taped around them - American only charged me for one bag (I initially had the shafts taped to the gear bag, but they asked me to separate them so that it was easier to load in the plane & it probably prevented damage to the shafts or the bag. They put a tag on the wrapped up shafts with my information on it, too.). Everything made it with no damage.

I'll be making this trip again this year & will plan on carting my gear along the exact same way. I even had my heat gun in my checked gear bag & it made the trip, as well.

Last year I flew from DFW to Toronto with my roller hockey gear & stick blades in my hockey bag & my shafts Velcroed together & wrapped in bubble wrap that I taped around them - American only charged me for one bag (I initially had the shafts taped to the gear bag, but they asked me to separate them so that it was easier to load in the plane & it probably prevented damage to the shafts or the bag. They put a tag on the wrapped up shafts with my information on it, too.). Everything made it with no damage.

I'll be making this trip again this year & will plan on carting my gear along the exact same way. I even had my heat gun in my checked gear bag & it made the trip, as well.

this has pretty much been my experience as well. often I have to take the bag to a special place to check it and also pick it up from a separate place (usually with all the golf bags and skis) but it's worth it.

This !

i have never flown with my gear, i'm wondering can you bring the sticks on the plain and get the flight attendant to store it somewhere, i did that with a guitar before. ?

No. Hockey sticks are listed as prohibited items on board. Ironically enough, you can bring skates with you in a carry-on. Do it all the time.

question of the century: say you're going on vacation and plan to stay with relatives. theres a rink near by. what do you do with the sweaty stinky gear ? I normally spray it down and dry it in a spare bedroom but obviously that may not be possible.

No. Hockey sticks are listed as prohibited items on board. Ironically enough, you can bring skates with you in a carry-on. Do it all the time.

see I've been told that you CAN'T bring skates past the TSA people unless the steel has been removed. hmmmm......

see I've been told that you CAN'T bring skates past the TSA people unless the steel has been removed. hmmmm......

The TSA has different regulations at each airport as every local supervisor will interpret things differently.

The TSA has different regulations at each airport as every local supervisor will interpret things differently.

I found this to be true also, except the TSA agents will always tell you it is supposed to be the same all over the country. I fly quite a bit and it is not true!!!!

I found this to be true also, except the TSA agents will always tell you it is supposed to be the same all over the country. I fly quite a bit and it is not true!!!!

Actually, they say the different standards at each airport makes it more difficult for terrorists.

Well I'm bring my roller hockey stuff home so this isn't really a problem for me :)

Ill prob just put my skates in my bag and lock it. Seems like the easiest way to do it.

people.... the taped together refers to the two stick to each other, not sticks taped to the bag. gets a stick bag and its ok.

also, for those wondering about tags... they print a duplicate for your stick bag. you have to go to a counter to check in, you cant use the express thing.

i flew out of raleigh, north carolina a few times now. they rarely see hockey equipment, and it was a breeze.

people.... the taped together refers to the two stick to each other, not sticks taped to the bag. gets a stick bag and its ok.

also, for those wondering about tags... they print a duplicate for your stick bag. you have to go to a counter to check in, you cant use the express thing.

i flew out of raleigh, north carolina a few times now. they rarely see hockey equipment, and it was a breeze.

Thanks dude. My main questions was if the stick bag was OK rather than actually taping my sticks together and so I guess it is. Thanks again

meh, looks like the rules are more stringent over where you guys are... so far, I can carry as many bags as I want as long as I dont exceed the weight limit. I've carried full bags of gear plus a hockey stick bag, and they just ask me how many bags I want to check in.

I'm in LA atm and there's a possibility that I will be bringing a stick or two back to Canada. Unfortunately, Air Canada's policy states:

The stick(s) must be packaged in a rigid and/or hard shell container specifically designed for shipping. If not packed in such a container, the sticks must be taped together and will only be accepted with a signed limited release.

Rigid/hard shell? Stick bags dont come in that...am I out of luck guys?

No, you tape them together and sign the release, knowing that there is a chance they'll be damaged. Or you buy shafts, head to the closest fishing store and buy a rod case. Blades can go in your suit case.

wow, thanks for the link Neal, so I suppose one can tape the sticks together inside a stick bag, and tape the stick bag tightly? what a hassle

Aireaye, I might be wrong, maybe Chadd or some of the more frequent travelers might be betters suited to answer this, but I think you can put the fragile tag on it. I did that when I was in California bringing a Warrior back to BC with me. Slapped the fragile tag on(it was in a Bauer Stick bag), they took it and it went pretty well. I can't remember if it was Air Canada though. But then again, I could be completely off. All I remember was being incredibly stoked on the other end when my stick wasn't damaged in any way.

Fragile tags don't mean anything to some of the donkeys tossing bags. Yeah, there are some great people that take care of every piece of luggage as if it was theirs. Unfortunately there is a large number that really couldn't care less about your bags being damaged.

now I'm doubting as to whether to grab some sticks down here in SoCal...I would love to take advantage fo the CND-USD exchange and cheaper prices...but I'd have to grab a stick bag too. Maybe just gloves or something...

now I'm doubting as to whether to grab some sticks down here in SoCal...I would love to take advantage fo the CND-USD exchange and cheaper prices...but I'd have to grab a stick bag too. Maybe just gloves or something...

Bubble wrap usually works well, maybe some reinforcing cardboard along the side if you want to add a little protection.

I've flown with my gear a number of times and I've always taped my sticks to my bag. I just criss-cross the shoulder (handle) straps of my bag over the stick and tape the stick in between. I've found that taking a two piece makes the most sense because I just toss the blade in the bag and re-insert. If it's an OPS I just bring one I don't care about.

I've had varied responses from signing a release form, having to separate the sticks from the bag, and no hassle but I have never paid for anything other than the bag. TSA employees act tough sometimes but just play the stupid approach, they'll give up.