Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

True North

Skate Mate - anyone tried one of these?

I have a really hard time getting my skates sharpened regularly. I live in an isolated area (plus young kids and a crazy work schedule). The staff at the rink where I skate are good guys, but none of them are good sharpeners. I'm considering one of these only to prolong my sharpenings a bit, and use a 1/2 inch hollow. I also use a Miracle Stone. The nearest competent sharpeners are all about an hour away (across the border), and not in the same area where I usually work/play. Basically I'd be using it from time to time to try to squeeze out an extra skate or two when my edges are starting to go in case I'm unable to find time to get them done the right way.

As Jimmy mentioned in the previous post, I'd just hope to refresh my edges a bit (and would use my Miracle Stone afterward).

Any other thoughts/experiences? Thanks in advance.

I have something similar, the Sweet Stick. I only use it in emergency situations though. the key to things like this is to use them correctly. with the Sweet Stick for example, less is more. it takes the right angle and a gentle touch.

have you considered something like getting your own sharpening machine?

both Wissota (http://www.wissota.com/) and Blackstone (http://www.blackstonesport.com/index.cfm) make great consumer level skate sharpeners.

I've had a Wissota for 10 years and I love it. sharp skates whenver I want them and I do my friends skates for $5 a pair.

Thanks for the info. I was using a Sweet Stick before, and felt like it made a positive difference. I was convinced to stop using it by some feedback that I read about it here on MSH, though. Must be less of an issue if you have your own machine, though.

I have only recently started giving some pretty strong consideration to buying a machine. I appreciate the links that you posted. I didn't realize that there are some pretty reasonable prices out there. I have a bunch of other financial priorities, at this point. Once I have those taken care of, one of those may be my next expensive sports purchase. Might be a tough sell right now, as I just bought some new skates and an ice auger.